8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Gonna play centre half from the sound of it

Albion Sign Painter
Posted on: Tue 12 Jan 2010

By Tim Dudding

Gus Poyet is set to make his second signing of the transfer window after securing a loan deal for Swansea City defender Marcos Painter.

The 23-year-old former Birmingham trainee will travel to Sussex tomorrow to put pen to paper on a contract until the end of the season.

A popular figure at the Liberty Stadium, Painter has made just six appearances for the Swans this season since recovering from a cruciate ligament injury sustained in October 2008.

The former Republic of Ireland under-21 international is predominantly a left-back, but can also play in the centre of defence.

Painter said, "I'm looking forward to the challenge at Brighton. I've spoken to Gus Poyet and I think he's looking at me as a centre-half as well.

"They need to get away from the bottom end of the table, but they've got a few games in hand and I'm committed to helping them climb the league.

"I'm fully committed to the challenge and I really want to do a good job there. The last time I played at Brighton was when Swansea lifted the League One trophy in 2008 - so that must be a good omen!"

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
^

Craaackin' (In a Welsh accent, though I'm not entirely sure why)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Hoyte Loan extended Poor signing

Seb Carole rolling deal Poor signing

Marcos Painter Loan Sounds another poor panic buy

Indigo C. Hasn't played football since last year- Jury out on him and not expecting much either.Played at a pooR level in Spain.

NO MONEY SPENT YET

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL

Indigo C. Hasn't played football since last year- Jury out on him and not expecting much either.Played at a pooR level in Spain.

NO MONEY SPENT YET

PESSIMISTIC OLD BASTARD :thumbsup:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Didn't Gus say at the start of his tenure that he didn't want any loan players. Didn't Bloom say he didn't want to do business in January but prefers the summer. Now we have five loan players. Strange.

Maybe its the best we can do to get out of the relegation mess

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

NO MONEY SPENT YET

They are not groundbreaking transfers, but they are jsut short term options.

I would imagine we don't have endless sums of money to throw about and perhaps his targets are not available at the moment? It may also be a case of who we can get rid of, before opting for long term signings.

Why does Painter sound like a poor panic buy?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
They are not groundbreaking transfers, but they are jsut short term options.

I would imagine we don't have endless sums of money to throw about and perhaps his targets are not available at the moment? It may also be a case of who we can get rid of, before opting for long term signings.

Why does Painter sound like a poor panic buy?
Played just 6 games this season and has just recovered from a serious injury.
Has anyone heard of him?

Is it what you expected?

I did warn some of the morons on here who bought into us spending heavy in Jan.It's frees,loans or crocked players.Bloom stated he doesn't like this window.Why is that going to change now?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i thought gus wanted to bring in his own squad of 22 odd players surely this means he should be looking for people on long term deals not short term loans?

He probably is. But are the targets available for the right price? Are the targets available full stop? We have got enough people on contracts that aren't good enough, would we want more for the sake of just signing someone on a long term deal?

Let's just be patient and trust them on this one.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
i thought gus wanted to bring in his own squad of 22 odd players surely this means he should be looking for people on long term deals not short term loans?

Gus will build his squad in the summer, what's the point in paying over inflated prices now? Gus obviously feels that mid table is where we are going this season and there is no point in spending large sums now. There's no way we will be relegated this year and I do often wonder why Brighton fans are so pessimistic, we've played really badly but we will improve and finish mid table comfortably. :clap2:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
A player who won League 1 a couple of years ago and has played fairly regularly in the division above doesn't sound like a panic buy to me.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Funny really, you'd have thought a bloke pumping £90 million to fund a new stadium might put a money in to prevent the team being in League 2 when we get there? He's not going to get any money back in that league.

Strange signing this one. On the one hand, we need a back-up left fullback for McNulty. On the other hand, is he going to play? Why would you go somewhere on loan to sit on the bench? And if he's playing in the middle, is an inexperienced centre half what we need? We're not exactly short in that department.

I can only assume that Poyet has realised McNulty isn't actually as good at defending as some of our fans (those who don't see past the short sleeves, gloves and stepovers) make out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here