Birmingham 2006 - 07 League 1 (0) 0
League Cup 1 (0) 0
Birmingham 2005 - 06 League 2 (2) 0
FA Cup 2 (1) 0
League Cup 1 (1) 0

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sounds solid, played all his career at a higher level than league 1.....nothing not to like, I hope it happens.

At least the efforts to strengthen are where we need it the most-at the back.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is he cup tied?

yes:(
as it's only a loan signing you would have to be surprised if it meant saying goodbye to any "saleable assets" but makes letting fringe players go on loan easier - suspect he is expected to play left side centre back

Last edited:

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Marcos Painter, Swansea CityScouting report

Steve Claridge The Guardian, Tuesday 16 October 2007 Article historyFor some, the opportunity to play top-flight football comes early in a career whereas others, like myself, have to work hard for many years before they get their break. It actually took me 12 years of graft, but who's counting? Marcos Painter falls into the former category. A product of the Birmingham City academy, he enjoyed a brief dalliance with the Premier League, making a handful of appearances for Blues, before he took the decision to seek regular first-team football elsewhere, at a lower level. The quest to rescale the peak has taken him to Swansea City and I was interested to check up on his progress.

Painter is a left-back who offers safety. Indeed, the first thing that struck me about his game was that he was quite brilliant on the cover. He twice made last-ditch tackles when the situation looked hopeless, one after just two minutes, and this showed that mentally, he was alert from the off. I know that Steve Bruce, the Birmingham manager, raved about his attitude and when I watched Painter, against Bournemouth, his preparation was spot on, as was his communication with others around him, and his ability to organise them.

I liked the way that he got someone to mark in front, on throw-ins against or any dead-ball situations, which meant that the opposition rarely got the ball in to feet. Painter is a hands-on defender, in the literal sense of the term. He constantly messed about with his opponent, showing a physical presence to make life difficult, even when the ball was on the other side of the pitch. He was also very fast to support his left-winger and, once or twice, when the play was switched, he surprised me by making up ground so quickly, showing that he had seen the move develop early.

Painter is not overly blessed with natural ability. When he was isolated in the final third, one-on-one with an opponent, he struggled to beat him while he must have forgotten to pack his shampoo, so reluctant was he to head the ball. This was alarming but he got around it by allowing his centre-half to attack anything on his side. He would then tuck in and drop off for anything flicked on. On another occasion, he went into a tackle with the wrong foot, preferring his stronger left, mis- timing the effort and being beaten easily.

In the main, though, he defended well, rarely getting exposed and still finding the time to overlap his winger. I did think that his runs were more to divert the opposition than to receive the ball but he timed them well and his judgment was sound.

I loved the way that he engaged the opposition right-winger high up the pitch, sometimes as far as 60 yards from his own goal, and his passing appreciation, while he was rarely under pressure, was good.

Painter, a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international, might not boast great skill but I like players who think about the game and how best to use the attributes they have, even if they are more limited than others. Making it back to the Premier League, however, might be a step too far.

Age 21

Born Birmingham

Position Left-back

Height 6ft

Weight 11st 6lb

From Birmingham City

Heading 6/10

Attitude 8/10

Tackling 7/10

Passing 8/10

Team Responsibility 9/10

Valuation £125,000

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Only on loan though?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Why are we signing a a player from SWANSEA?

Surely with Gus' 'exceptional' contacts we should be signing players from Spurs and Chelsea at the very LEAST.

Just thought I'd get in first beofre the clowns arrive.

Painter

Marcos Painter is a player who's just recovered from a serious knee ligament injury (kept him out for most of last season). He was superb before his injury, but has looked a little rusty on his comeback games. In fact he was tore a new arsehole on a couple of occasions before being dropped by Paulo Sousa.

He needs games to get him back to where he was before his injury (can't see him wanting to move permanently) - he'll do well for Brighton though as, IMHO, on his day there's not many better in League 1.

Excellent defender who does get forward and possesses a decent cross.

(he won't be cup-tied either)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Am I right in thinking he probably played a part in Swansea's League One title winning season 07/08?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
has played at left midfield, hope Gus isnt signing him to play there as at LB we are OK with McNulty now.

If only we had got a decent LB early on instead of playing El Abd there or Wright etc etc. Cost us a good few points that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here