Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

March for the flag. Unexpectedly early report.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. I love my country and am very proud to be English, I also celebrate St Georges day. Unfortunately, to a lot of people that makes me a racist these days.

That doesn't make you a racist. It's the behaviour of the types that El Pres mentioned that makes it have connotations of racism. There is nothing wrong with national pride but there is everything wrong with negative integration, where people who feel inadequate get false pride by belonging to an abstract collective by actively keeping out certain members of society and discriminating against them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Exactly. I love my country and am very proud to be English, I also celebrate St Georges day. Unfortunately, to a lot of people that makes me a racist these days.

Possibly to a lot of people who don't take pride in being English in the first place.

However, like the 'football hooligan' tag that, still used by ignorant people, we are still trying to break out of the shackles of, national pride on this island will, rightly or wrongly, to a lesser or greater degree, be associated with racism, xenophobia and extremism.

There oughtn't be a reason for it, but when some people see a 'cause', they can't help hijacking it for their own agenda.

I am on the committee of the Brighton & Hove St George's Day Charity, and we have an afternoon of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding roast potato, a couple of guest speakers and some singing and flag-waving. Granted there are a few airheads in there, but largely, people are basically there for the flag.

However, and let's make no bones about it, this march - completely unnecessary as it was - was always going to be political, and I cannot associate myself with the the kind of patriotism I am interested in with the 'patriotism' some of the people Nibble says he saw on this march.

Oct 25, 2003

yep, thats sadly true, its also a great shame that the far-right seemed to have claimed the cross as their symbol, which unfortunately is what a lot of people associate it with

nothing wrong with being patriotic at all

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Well, as promised the report. I will explain why it is cut short later.

Arrived at station at 11.40am. On the station forecourt was a group of about 50+ people. Men, women, children and teenagers and I'm sorry to say all of them very intimidating. I would not want to have been a visitor getting off the train this morning. It really was like a scene from This Is England.

Most were shaven headed, drinking cans of beer and posing for photographs with the George Cross. Some were in full Skins regalia and unfortunately their appearance did nothing to disuade me that they are all exactly what we were thought they were going to be and the same goes for the motive behind the march.

Surprisingly, what I think were decorated Ghurkas were leading the march. Very strange.

At 12, just as it started to spit with rain the march set off down Queens Road. I had been reluctant to take pictures or film beforehand as I thought it would draw aggression. However I began to film them as they began chanting such things as

"Im English, I'm English Im H-A-P-P-Y, " etc and "We want England back, We want England back".

At his point the worst thing I saw of the day was a group in the centre of the march Sig Heiling photographers. Several marchers followed suit until a bout 6 of them were marching and sig heiling. Shocking.

Onlookers were visibly disgusted.

I got to the Quadrant pub (I was following at a distance as I did not want to be perceived as being a part of this) and was approached by two Police Officers. Very polite they were I have to say and professional. They ID'd me, ran a PNC check and explained that it draws aggression and they wanted to check I was not from an opposing faction. As polite as they were I found the whole incident very unpleasant.

As you can understand I then stopped following the march and left them all to it.

A thoroughly unpleasant experience and I regret even bothering to turn up.

I suggest Das Reich should be ignored at all costs.
strange my mate went with a few others and when i told him,he said he never saw any of that???

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A few points from my perspective:

1. There is nothing wrong with being proud to come from England.
2. There IS something wrong to harness that pride and turn against those who are perceived to be foreigners.
3. There has been large scale immigration into this country for at least 50 years now. Many people believed to be "foreigners" have been born in this country and have every right to be equally proud of being English.
4. It seems strange that the far right are using the flag of a patron saint who was Turkish, probably never visited England and also represents a large number of other countries around the world.

Jan 30, 2008
Hi folks sad to hear about the small minority making nazis gestures as for the real hans kray ......free speech and respect to the ghurkas

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not sure how to put pics or vids from my phone on here. I will ask Les when he gets in. I have video of them singing their chants etc. How anyone can say they didn't see this behaviour I don't know.

The Argus was there so there may well be pics on their site.

Every single person that saw them marching that I talked to said their behaviour was disgusting.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The fact that when being questioned by the police they said "We just wanted to make sure you weren't with an opposing FACTION" means the police likely treat them as a faction which is kind of all you really need to know, that and the big ginger bloke Sig Heiling an asian photographer about half way down Queens road, followed by his equally racist mates next to him.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Fills me with nostalgia for my youthful involvement in regular "bash the fash" events. Happy days.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The fact that when being questioned by the police they said "We just wanted to make sure you weren't with an opposing FACTION" means the police likely treat them as a faction which is kind of all you really need to know, that and the big ginger bloke Sig Heiling an asian photographer about half way down Queens road, followed by his equally racist mates next to him.

Dwayne was there?

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not sure how to put pics or vids from my phone on here. I will ask Les when he gets in. I have video of them singing their chants etc. How anyone can say they didn't see this behaviour I don't know.

The Argus was there so there may well be pics on their site.

Every single person that saw them marching that I talked to said their behaviour was disgusting.
ah ,ask les i see:laugh:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
seems you're pc man les, can you fix it so we can see these images??

I'm no PC man but I will give it a go. If not I reckon one of our tech guys will be able to do it.

Still not sure what was funny. Right wingers/borderline fascist have such rubbish senses of humour.

Jan 30, 2008
I'm no PC man but I will give it a go. If not I reckon one of our tech guys will be able to do it.

Still not sure what was funny. Right wingers/borderline fascist have such rubbish senses of humour.
seems like you have some cult like status on this site :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here