Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marcelo Gallardo

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Do you know for a FACT that he doesn't speak English as you've repeatedly started?

I don't but:
A. He spent a year in the US as a player for DC United.
B. RDZ didn't either.

So that's no reason we'd not appoint him imo. There could be other reasons (assuming he wants to come) but the language barrier I can't see being one.
FACT? Nopes, but its what I've read, don't see much reason to doubt it.
Doesn't need to be big obstacle of course. That he's pretty much considered the Zinedine Zidane of South American football management is more likely to stop it from happening.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
He's got my vote, not even linked at the minute but he's the only name being discussed that excites me. Given that Potter got the Chelsea job after us and RDZ may well get a job at a top European club. Any sensible young manager should see our club as an excellent opportunity.

I think he would have been on the lists for Barcelona and AC Milan but given that they have gone in other directions, we may well be the next best option. One can hope anyway

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think he's too big for us and even if maybe we could have talked him into taking the job, I'm not sure we'd go for him. Doesn't speak any English at all which just makes it a big project.
Half the squad speaks spanish and for the rest...why do you think we gave Milner another year?

Seems to me that it's nailed on Gallardo is coming.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Yes Please!

Struggle to see how any manager outside of Europe is too big for us. Premier League football, tons of young talent in our squad to mold, uniquely well run by owners, top class facilities, money in the bank to spend, etc etc. Is that just my blue and white tinted glasses?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
This one's out of our reach, I reckon. But I said before that it'd take a "wow" appointment to shake me out of my post-RDZ funk, and this would definitely be a "wow" appointment.

Edit: That said, we do seem to have a good rep in Argentina thanks to how we've handled the careers of Mac Allister, Buonanotte, and Barco while they were/are with the club. I can definitely imagine how we might be interesting to a potential manager from Argentina, especially if he has a particular interest in developing young players. But this guy's won the Copa Libertadores twice as a manager, he's gotta be out of our reach. Surely? We couldn't, could we?

Ah, damn it. Now I'm excited.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Can someone post a tweet from someone somewhere suggesting this is credible (even if its not of course). Thanks.
No. We're the only place talking about it. If you see tweets in the next few days, you'll probably be able to trace them all back to here.

He's being talked about partly because some of us like the cut of his jib and would like something aspirational to discuss to drown out the depressing talk of Graham Potter returning and partly because he, along with the likes of RDZ, Postacoglou, Bo Svensson, Kjetil Knutsen, Franck Haisse was a name being spoken about the last time we were looking. Nobody knows anything really. We don't actually know whether any of those were sounded out, they were just linked.

The point is really that the club always plays its cards so close to its chest, that the media knows nothing and we may as well discuss the managers that we'd like to join us, rather than the ones that papers and websites have decided we must be after through the method that these journalists seem to use:

1716990007705.png

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not saying it will happen but why are some saying he would be out of our reach? We snap up players from Boca, been in Europe and play in the best league in the world (well that’s what they say). Throw in that he is out of work and I don’t get the it would never happen stance

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great! Now the odds will go in and the rumours will start and everyone will start to think it's happening because someone else has written an article about the current bookies odds.
FFS, beat me by ONE minute.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Which will bring it in to 16s, which will make someone on NSC absolutely CERTAIN it's happening because he's shortened in the betting :lol:
Ooh! Maybe we should all pile on before the price goes in any further. ;)

(This message was brought to you by Mr P. Power)

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Not saying it will happen but why are some saying he would be out of our reach? We snap up players from Boca, been in Europe and play in the best league in the world (well that’s what they say). Throw in that he is out of work and I don’t get the it would never happen stance
Precisely this! Since he was on our previous list we have progressed as a club, been in Europe and built up a large fund. He has been to Saudi and been paid a fortune and now wants proper football.

We are a much better fit for him now then we were then.

Caveat all of this with us guessing that he was on the list then and is on the list now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here