Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marcelo Gallardo

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Read the articles posted elsewhere on another thread. This guy looks like the dogs bollocks. Big hairy fat ones.

No hints on why things fell apart. Per the articles on River Plate he was involved in every aspect of the club as it needed a total rebuild. Won't need that here. Also was very philosophical about bigger European clubs coming in for his best players.

Top of my wishlist. Please Tony :🙏

ABP.

Anyone but Potter

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Too expensive. Way too expensive. We can't even afford to poach Ipswich's manager ......
We don't know whether he was sacked or left Al-Itihad by mutual consent. If the latter, there would presumably be compensation in the same way that other teams would have to pay us to sign RDZ. If the former, it would cost us nothing but salary to appoint him. I assume that you must be thinking that he would be expecting the same wage that he was being paid in Saudi Arabia. I would also assume that he would know that his next team is not going to pay him anywhere near that.

The reporting was that we sounded him out last time around, but he didn't want to talk as he wanted to complete his contract at River Plate. If this is true, he has known of our interest for a couple of years and knows that we can offer a route to managing in the EPL: Potentially quite a draw for someone who has never managed in Europe before. This is all speculation, but if we were interested, I don't see the barriers that you're seeing.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
He's also very keen on having a say in exactly everything, including remodelling how the academy of his club works and so forth.

He did at River Plate because he had to as it was a total shit show with no infrastructure as well as being a RP lad. Obviously not here or in the vast majority of top flight European Clubs that he'd attract. Only sticking point would be how much he'd want to be involved in the recruitment side.

Also, I think I researched him when Potter left and found he doesn't speak a word English.

No idea but
A. He spent a year in the US as a player for DC United.
B. RDZ didn't either.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Looks like Mikan are interested

That's from 13/05 and the info came from Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio. He was subsequently quoted in a story yesterday saying that they are appointing Fonseca:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We don't know whether he was sacked or left Al-Itihad by mutual consent. If the latter, there would presumably be compensation in the same way that other teams would have to pay us to sign RDZ. If the former, it would cost us nothing but salary to appoint him. I assume that you must be thinking that he would be expecting the same wage that he was being paid in Saudi Arabia. I would also assume that he would know that his next team is not going to pay him anywhere near that.

The reporting was that we sounded him out last time around, but he didn't want to talk as he wanted to complete his contract at River Plate. If this is true, he has known of our interest for a couple of years and knows that we can offer a route to managing in the EPL: Potentially quite a draw for someone who has never managed in Europe before. This is all speculation, but if we were interested, I don't see the barriers that you're seeing.
Exactly.

More trolling from @dwayne

Saudi clubs have more money than anyone but are only really attracting the likes of Gerrard because it's such a horrible place to live. They've always had to attract ex pats with huge, tax free salaries. You don't get those here, but you also don't get your hands chopped off and access to such things as alcohol, fresh farm goods, variable weather and democracy. My wife's cousin was out there for a few years. By himself with no family, every weekend in Bahrain, one holiday a year whoring in the Philippines. Eventually got very fed up, came back here and retired in his late 40s.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Exactly.

More trolling from @dwayne

Saudi clubs have more money than anyone but are only really attracting the likes of Gerrard because it's such a horrible place to live. They've always had to attract ex pats with huge, tax free salaries. You don't get those here, but you also don't get your hands chopped off and access to such things as alcohol, fresh farm goods, variable weather and democracy. My wife's cousin was out there for a few years. By himself with no family, every weekend in Bahrain, one holiday a year whoring in the Philippines. Eventually got very fed up, came back here and retired in his late 40s.
Hardly trolling. Why would a manager whos just been earning 3 or 4 times what we could offer and is also being linked with Milan suddenly be wowed enough by blooms project to skip along here.

Get real.

Talking of trolling. You haven't said whether you will take the bet where you said Ipswich would finish above us this season?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Hardly trolling. Why would a manager whos just been earning 3 or 4 times what we could offer and is also being linked with Milan suddenly be wowed enough by blooms project to skip along here.

Get real.

Talking of trolling. You haven't said whether you will take the bet where you said Ipswich would finish above us this season?
I think we have to re sign Potter for the bet to be activated? :wink:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Why would a manager whos just been earning 3 or 4 times what we could offer and is also being linked with Milan suddenly be wowed enough by blooms project to skip along here.
Perhaps because:

1) He's no longer earning 3 or 4 times what we could offer. He's unemployed.
2) He's back in the real world salarywise and nobody outside of Saudi Arabia would offer him that wage again, yet knowing this, he still left;
3) He's not going to Milan. They're appointing someone else;
4) The EPL is the most prestigious league in the world;
5) Brighton have an international reputation as a very decent club to work for;
6) He'd be getting paid a six figure salary and a stage to advertise his abilities to giant European clubs;
7) He'd have an exceptional group of young players to work with, a significant number of whom are South American;
8) He has a morbid fear of thermos flasks, bottletops and chip forks and needs to find somewhere to work where this will not be a hindrance.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Perhaps because:

1) He's no longer earning 3 or 4 times what we could offer. He's unemployed.
2) He's back in the real world salarywise and nobody outside of Saudi Arabia would offer him that wage again, yet knowing this, he still left;
3) He's not going to Milan. They're appointing someone else;
4) The EPL is the most prestigious league in the world;
5) Brighton have an international reputation as a very decent club to work for;
6) He'd be getting paid a six figure salary and a stage to advertise his abilities to giant European clubs;
7) He'd have an exceptional group of young players to work with, a significant number of whom are South American;
8) He has a morbid fear of thermos flasks, bottletops and chip forks and needs to find somewhere to work where this will not be a hindrance.
A seven figure salary, surely?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Get real.

The one where you swung your bollocks around with a stupid amount of money that no one in their right mind would bet at evens? A grand wasn't it? :lolol:. I hope you don't play poker.

If Potter is appointed I'll return to betting on us going down as a misery hedge at odds that will pay me a grand without me staking it. I've done that every EPL season except for the last two.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Is there any links to this guy or just wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking. Speculation based on the reported interest from last time. If we were interested it'll be a while as he only left his Saudi club on Monday. Amongst all the press links to McKenna, Potter etc. Brian Owen's article in the Argus seems to be the only thing I've seen that has any comment at all from the club and it says that we will be taking our time and following the process. The process seemed to identify Gallardo as an option last time around, so it's possible that it would identify him again this time. However, we don't know the outcome of any contact we made last time. For all we know, he may have laughed in Barber's face whilst sat under a signed Match Weekly poster of Vince Hillaire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here