Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We had Lamptey and Veltman on the right of our defence.

Potter wants Cucu and a left footed CB, Bassey would be the one if he wasn’t in Amsterdam signing a contract today. If Cucu goes, that’s 2 (two) left footed defenders we’d need. Maybe Tag & Colwill?

I'll eat someones hat if there's two new left-footed (or right-footed for that matter) defemders by the end of the transfer window. Especially as it is looking increasingly that we can't rule out Clarke being in the squad next season.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's made up rubbish.

I'm not saying they won't need to sell. They just don't need to do it first.

No way do they have to wait until a sale is made. They can ship a player out to New York or Melbourne if things get really desperate.

Who's making what up? The only 'thing' is that Cucurella is still a Brighton player, and has not been transferred to Citeh, and Citeh haven't made an offer yet (TB himself stated that, so that's the least likely thing to be made up rubbish!). You asked why they couldn't just borrow some oil money, and a couple of us made reasonable suggestions of possible explanations, that 's all. Nothing 'made up'.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'll eat someone’s hat if there's two new left-footed (or right-footed for that matter) defenders by the end of the transfer window. Especially as it is looking increasingly that we can't rule out Clarke being in the squad next season.

Get ready:

9e641592c6b295d3f810defb710ccf76.jpg

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Interesting segment in MEN article about Nathan Ake’s failed move to Chelsea.
Txiki Begiristain and his recruitment team have red lines that they will not cross when it comes down to what they are prepared to bring targets in for and let them leave for.

It has been seen in action in recent years in failed pursuits of Jorginho, Harry Maguire and Frenkie de Jong. On each of those occasions, Pep Guardiola wanted a signing but either the transfer fee or the wages went beyond what City's sporting director was willing to sanction.

So it sounds like it’s irrelevant if Pep wants Cucurella or not. Too much and it won’t be sanctioned.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting segment in MEN article about Nathan Ake’s failed move to Chelsea.
Txiki Begiristain and his recruitment team have red lines that they will not cross when it comes down to what they are prepared to bring targets in for and let them leave for.

It has been seen in action in recent years in failed pursuits of Jorginho, Harry Maguire and Frenkie de Jong. On each of those occasions, Pep Guardiola wanted a signing but either the transfer fee or the wages went beyond what City's sporting director was willing to sanction.

So it sounds like it’s irrelevant if Pep wants Cucurella or not. Too much and it won’t be sanctioned.

Hopefully circa 60 million will be considered too much for a player that cost 15 million less than a year ago :thumbsup:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Still some horrifically low ball numbers being bandied about on this thread. I would be incensed if we sold him for 50m without any kind of replacement lined up. If they want him near deadline day where it means we don't have time to get in a replacement....it's 100 mill + or F off.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still some horrifically low ball numbers being bandied about on this thread. I would be incensed if we sold him for 50m without any kind of replacement lined up. If they want him near deadline day where it means we don't have time to get in a replacement....it's 100 mill + or F off.

Quite a few 'low-balling' deals actually going through this year - prices seem to have peaked (at least temporarily - possibly due to Covid?) Some pretty big deals have gone through for less than £50M - Jesus, Sterling and Phillips for instance - and even perhaps Bissouma ws a bit low (and yes, thank you, I do know he had only one year left on his contract!)

For the record, I've no idea if Cucu will go to Citeh or not, or what the price will be if he does go (we'll never be told that anyway!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He's great for us. But in no parallel universe could Cucurella be possibly be priced at £100m. What on earth are you basing that on ? He's had one great season for a midtable PL club, and has 1 cap for his country. We all love him to bits, but lets get real eh ?

I'd obviously rather have Cucurella than the £50m. But throwing around figures massively north of that is, frankly, ridiculous.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Take them for all their worth, they got the damn money. No reason to give them any kind of a 'deal'.

Market rates are market rates. City clearly have the capacity to spend whatever they want, but at the same time aren't prepared to have their pants pulled down on a deal. Grealish was overpriced IMO, but on the whole, they do stay well within the realms and parameters of market values.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
He's great for us. But in no parallel universe could Cucurella be possibly be priced at £100m. What on earth are you basing that on ? He's had one great season for a midtable PL club, and has 1 cap for his country. We all love him to bits, but lets get real eh ?

I'd obviously rather have Cucurella than the £50m. But throwing around figures massively north of that is, frankly, ridiculous.

I would expect more than 50m. Probably pushing 60m. White was 50m with a similar age, contract, premier league experience and international games so are pretty comparable as a benchmark. This was last year and just with inflation this is now 55ish. So my guess is 55-65m.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
However, as you more than most know, nothing is ever clear cut with GP setting the tactics. According to Transfermarkt Cucu played 9 times at CB and 8 times at LM last year, as well as his 18 games at LB. The designated covering players at LB were Solly March and Dan Burn and at least one of those two also played in 32 of Cucu's 35 EPL appearances. Obviously they are both adaptable players who can do a job in a number of different positions, but I would expect that any player we we are looking to sign would need to be the same. Calvin Bassey, for instance, made 12 league appearances at CB for Rangers last season.

Given Bassey is going to Ajax. I think we should make a quick move for Melvin Bard from Nice. 21 years old, future international, likes to hug the touchline and get forwards. Very comfortable on ball and can play as a LB, LWB and CB. Some reports of him being available for 8m, Bayer Leverkusen being linked.
https://youtu.be/Fww1aK9TPxA

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"shoulders back - smash it"

[tweet]1548714147143159809[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given Bassey is going to Ajax. I think we should make a quick move for Melvin Bard from Nice. 21 years old, future international, likes to hug the touchline and get forwards. Very comfortable on ball and can play as a LB, LWB and CB. Some reports of him being available for 8m, Bayer Leverkusen being linked.

Melvin Bard.

That's not funny.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

To bid or not to bid, that is the question.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I’d expect £70 Million for Marc.

They spent £40 million for Nathan Ake… To sit on the bench!

They’re really not short of a few bob, and really don’t mind spending it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here