Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To bid or not to bid, that is the question.

Not to bid ............ perhaps? Not yet anyway.

Cucu hasn't gone (yet). We've still got Clarke as a lefty defender, and Roberts next season (if he can produce some of what he promised a couple of years ago in his season at Derby), Webby likes playing on the left of a three and Solly does a good job as a LWB.

Having said that, I was underwhelmed (albeit not for long!) whrn we signed Cucu last season - was a LB really a priority, I thought...... :facepalm:

What do I know! Perhaps we need three LBs by the end of August or we're doomed!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the months trundle on.

The Manchester Evening News is getting desperate, with not a sniff of a fact over the entire period, now quoting the Daily Mail, with the same old online gossip dressed up as news.

“Manchester City will reportedly 'push' to sign Brighton left-back Marc Cucurella if Oleksandr Zinchenko leaves for Arsenal”.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
What on earth are you basing that on ?

Comparisons with the Grealish deal. He is our best player with 4 years left on his contract. Ok, now there was HGP tax on the Grealish deal but to support Cucu's case he is a naturally left footed player who can play ANYWHERE on that left side, including the left side of a back 3. A rare and wonderful thing. If you watch this 20 mins of footage of the Man U game I think I can safely make a case that he is pretty much irreplaceable.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrcsma9Y-lI

Involved in everything in that game he was. An absolute monster of a player who we won't be able to replace for anywhere near the low ball numbers being banded about on here.

Villa finished in 11th when Man City came knocking to buy their best player. Cucu was instrumental in helping us to finish 9th. If you want the best player of a team that finished 9th in the Premier League you pay through the nose. THROUGH THE NOSE.

80M before we even pick up the phone. 100M and he's yours.

And while I have no evidence to support this theory at all....I suspect, thankfully, that TB has a similar mindset.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Comparisons with the Grealish deal. He is our best player with 4 years left on his contract. Ok, now there was HGP tax on the Grealish deal but to support Cucu's case he is a naturally left footed player who can play ANYWHERE on that left side, including the left side of a back 3. A rare and wonderful thing. If you watch this 20 mins of footage of the Man U game I think I can safely make a case that he is pretty much irreplaceable.....

Involved in everything in that game he was. An absolute monster of a player who we won't be able to replace for anywhere near the low ball numbers being banded about on here.

Villa finished in 11th when Man City came knocking to buy their best player. Cucu was instrumental in helping us to finish 9th. If you want the best player of a team that finished 9th in the Premier League you pay through the nose. THROUGH THE NOSE.

And while I have no evidence to support this theory at all....I suspect, thankfully, that TB has a similar mindset.

I suspect Tony Bloom lives on Earth, where left backs won't cost £100m.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You don't have to convince me how good he is chap. But comparing him to Grealish (an established England international forward in his prime) is looney tunes. Fullbacks just do not go for £80-£100m, especially one's who have had just had ONE season in the PL.

Realistically if City table a £50m bid then there's a deal to be done (including add-ons and a chunky sell-on clause). I'd be truly gutted to see him leave, but thats the market. The only way we'd potentially get anything significantly north of that is if it turned into an auction, but I don't think you'll get any clubs queuing up to enter a bidding war with Man City for his signature.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
You don't have to convince me how good he is chap. But comparing him to Grealish (an established England international forward in his prime) is looney tunes. Fullbacks just do not go for £80-£100m, especially one's who have had just had ONE season in the PL.

Realistically if City table a £50m bid then there's a deal to be done (including add-ons and a chunky sell-on clause). I'd be truly gutted to see him leave, but thats the market. The only way we'd potentially get anything significantly north of that is if it turned into an auction, but I don't think you'll get any clubs queuing up to enter a bidding war with Man City for his signature.

As I understand sell on clauses they are normally a percentage of anything over the original sale figure. After all if Cucurella flops at City and they sell him on for £25m it wouldn’t make sense that we get some of that money. Therefore aren’t they normally included on deals with a lowish transfer fee where there is potential for the player to get a lot better. I suspect there won’t be a sell on clause in transfers around the £50m mark.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We really must stop voting in the Player of the Year awards and giving all these teams a clue as to who they should be buying. We lose Cucu and we give up at least four places in the league.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We really must stop voting in the Player of the Year awards and giving all these teams a clue as to who they should be buying. We lose Cucu and we give up at least four places in the league.
City will leave this very late in the window I really hope we have a replacement lined up.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Don't think adding sell-on clauses when selling to a CL/top club is that important. Add-ons, on the other hand.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And if Tony Bloom says no at the price offered, Citeh’s brinkmanship will mean Jack Shit.

Leaving it late in the window doesn’t generate a lower price, from a solvent RELUCTANT selling club.

Corrected for you :smile:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
And if Tony Bloom says no at the price offered, Citeh’s brinkmanship will mean Jack Shit.

Leaving it late in the window doesn’t generate a lower price, from a solvent selling club.

Although I do think you're right, there is a possibility of a "too good to refuse" offer coming in late in the day that we might accept. Say Citeh come in on deadline day with a £65m offer for Cucurella, will we really say "no"? I'm not so sure

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Although I do think you're right, there is a possibility of a "too good to refuse" offer coming in late in the day that we might accept. Say Citeh come in on deadline day with a £65m offer for Cucurella, will we really say "no"? I'm not so sure

Without a replacement lined up, I think we would say no at that stage. With a week or 2/3 days to go, and therefore a decent chance to source a replacement, the story might be different.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Leaving it late in the window doesn’t generate a lower price, from a solvent selling club.

Agreed. If anything, the price goes up the later it is in the window.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
City will leave this very late in the window I really hope we have a replacement lined up.
The later it gets the more the price would have to be "out of this world".

Man City will get the best deal the earlier they make it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If there was zero chance of getting a quality LB/LWB, that would put us in a quandry.

Plus I can't see the benefit to a club with infinite sportswashing resources of leaving it to the wire, Cucurella missing preseason and early matches, then paying an inflated fee. They can make this happen now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Without a replacement lined up, I think we would say no at that stage. With a week or 2/3 days to go, and therefore a decent chance to source a replacement, the story might be different.

I'm certain that the club will have planned for a number of scenarios regarding Cucurella. Given that a renewed contract already appears to be have been considered, (upping Cucu's wages) I'd imagine the club will have a good idea on Marc's happiness at the club. It looks like Marc is very happy here so is not agitating for a move. City do have the funds to make us an offer we can't refuse, but I feel that is what it will take for them to get Cucurella.

I really feel we have the upper hand here. It is inconceivable to me that potential replacements are not being looked at or lined up. If City do pony up a king's ransom then that should give us the financial fire-power to get any potential deal over the line.

At the moment I am 70/30 the Cucurella will be an Albion player this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think £65 million now could get done.

On deadline day it'd be a lot more to compensate on it leaving us without a replacement.

If that happened, Man City would only have themselves to blame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here