Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
How does he force a move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. He can't force a move this summer. If the price is not met then he won't go and he will have to deal with it.

If he has another season like last season next season we won't stand in his way but by then the price will be 60-70m

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Massive difference… can’t compare any of those to the Cucurella transfer.

Biss had one year left on a deal.

Burn 18 months and we were happy to let him go, others we were also happy to offload so took the fees that were available.

We have no need or desire to sell on this occasion so it will take ££££££ to make us choose to sell

...and we've just banked £25m (£10m of which is profit) so not like we need a cash injection... Especially as that figure is 5 times Transfermkt's valuation of Julio.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

After the Bissouma and Burn deals, I am astonished that people seem to think we will ever get top fees for our players. Gyokeres went for pennies, Matias Normann the same, Ostigard is going for a few million to a top Serie A club.

Cucu will force the move, and we'll end up taking £30m or so. It's what we do. White was a one-off from a team that notoriously overpays.

I’d like to know who are all these clubs that would have been offering us £5m+ etc for players like Normann (who wouldn’t sign a new contract at the time ) and Gyokeres (who at the time had no track record of scoring goals at a decent level) . And Ostigard (who has 1 year left) is going for millions. Not “pennies”
What we actually do have is one of the most admired pathways to a PL first team for loanees or youth players in the country and in White, Knockaert, Burn and Bissouma - a track record for delivering top fees to clubs at the top end of the market given age, contract, experience and at a time where the team isn’t weakened due to succession planning . It’s what we do.
I am astonished that people seem to think the complete opposite !

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’d like to know who are all these clubs that would have been offering us £5m+ etc for players like Normann (who wouldn’t sign a new contract at the time ) and Gyokeres (who at the time had no track record of scoring goals at a decent level) . And Ostigard (who has 1 year left) is going for millions. Not “pennies”
What we actually do have is one of the most admired pathways to a PL first team for loanees or youth players in the country and in White, Knockaert, Burn and Bissouma - a track record for delivering top fees to clubs at the top end of the market given age, contract, experience and at a time where the team isn’t weakened due to succession planning . It’s what we do.
I am astonished that people seem to think the complete opposite !

Not to mention the fact that 13m for Burn was a very good fee for our 3rd-4th choice centre back with 18 months left on his contract and who was turning 30 at the end of the season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How does he force a move?

I’ve often wondered this. I know players have a lot more power since Bosman than they used to, but if a player could literally force a move to whatever club he wanted, even if his club didn’t want to sell, then transfer fees wouldn’t exist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest why do we ALL assume this hard nosed negotiation is between Mr Bloom and Mr UAE.

Why doesn't the CEO and Deputy Chairman Barber-out get a mention?
It can't just be because, if he were involved, such tough talk would portray Barbie in a positive light, could it?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor on holiday now so we'll just have to rely on the twitter accounts telling us we're going to accept some fanciful derisory bid for a bit.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
The club was bumbling and trying to develop obscure foreign talent for some time. But before the Potter era only Knockart and Uloa made it. I love the fact the Championship and international equivalent leagues are stocked with Brighton players that would have been 1st on any team sheet for at least 90 percent of every game I've watched.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club was bumbling and trying to develop obscure foreign talent for some time. But before the Potter era only Knockart and Uloa made it. I love the fact the Championship and international equivalent leagues are stocked with Brighton players that would have been 1st on any team sheet for at least 90 percent of every game I've watched.

Oh, I don't know, I think Gross, Propper, Bruno and Calderon (to name a few) did alright. And they were pretty obscure to most of us before they arrived too!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone find it surreal that we are now at a stage where a £30m contract offer for one of our players is seen as derisory and insulting ?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Massive difference… can’t compare any of those to the Cucurella transfer.

Biss had one year left on a deal.

Burn 18 months and we were happy to let him go, others we were also happy to offload so took the fees that were available.

We have no need or desire to sell on this occasion so it will take ££££££ to make us choose to sell
Spot on.

I am going to go out on a limb and say we will hang on to the coiffured cuccy for another season.

He has 4 years left, we don't need the money but, most importantly, Tony enjoyed watching him as much as we did last season and will dig his heels in.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just had a brief 5 mins on search for ‘Cucurella City’ on Twitter, and it has to be said that City fans have gone a bit Leedsy with their entitlement to buy our player for a derogatory fee.

For what it’s worth, I do think we’ll eventually accept a bid, but 50m for Ben White set the bar last season. Cucurella is the same age and he genuinely won our PotS award, which White didn’t. City’s owners certainly have the means to meet Bloom’s tipppng point, which I’d guess is somewhere in the 60-70m range.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spot on.

I am going to go out on a limb and say we will hang on to the coiffured cuccy for another season.

He has 4 years left, we don't need the money but, most importantly, Tony enjoyed watching him as much as we did last season and will dig his heels in.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

After which £50m will look like the bargain of the century.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

The same Knockaert who'd played 100 games for Leicester?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just had a brief 5 mins on search for ‘Cucurella City’ on Twitter, and it has to be said that City fans have gone a bit Leedsy with their entitlement to buy our player for a derogatory fee.

For what it’s worth, I do think we’ll eventually accept a bid, but 50m for Ben White set the bar last season. Cucurella is the same age and he genuinely won our PotS award, which White didn’t. City’s owners certainly have the means to meet Bloom’s tipppng point, which I’d guess is somewhere in the 60-70m range.

White and Wan-Bissaka went for £50m. I think that’ll be TB’s baseline, he’d accept that.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
The same Knockaert who'd played 100 games for Leicester?

I not quite sure what point the poster is trying to make. We didn’t develop either Knockaert or Ulloa, sure both got better playing for us and made us better but they aren’t Brighton products in the way of Dunk,White or Sanchez. Also Leo was the only one of the two we sold to a club in the division above.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Cucurella is a decent player. But for £70m I'd drive him there. That's just nuts.

£50m for his contract would be a good piece of business for the Albion. Sometimes we do rather deify our players.

City want a player who will drop into a side looking to win the Champions League. The next step up. He's not played at that level with any regularity. I can see why there is only so far they will go on a defender. I shouldn't imagine there are many defenders who have transferred at £50m plus (only seven at £60m plus). I'll get my tin hat, but he is not at that level.

Last edited:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I not quite sure what point the poster is trying to make. We didn’t develop either Knockaert or Ulloa, sure both got better playing for us and made us better but they aren’t Brighton products in the way of Dunk,White or Sanchez. Also Leo was the only one of the two we sold to a club in the division above.

I think he was taking a shot at our historical international recruitment pre-Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here