Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cucurella is a decent player. But for £70m I'd drive him there. That's just nuts.

£50m for his contract would be a good piece of business for the Albion. Sometimes we do rather deify our players.

City want a player who will drop into a side looking to win the Champions League. The next step up. He's not played at that level with any regularity. I can see why there is only so far they will go on a defender. I shouldn't imagine there are many defenders who have transferred at £50m plus (only seven at £60m plus). I'll get my tin hat, but he is not at that level.
I'd agree with that, except the last bit - he is, IMHO, rightly in the same price bracket (at least) as Wan Bisaka, Mendy and Cancelo (although the latter's price was inflated by being part of a deal with an inflated price for a player going the other way in part exchange).
FWIW, if we sell him to City this summer for less than £50M I will be disappointed - and I'm happy to put that on record in advance. No, I won't be saying that I know better than the club, or that Uncle Tony doesn't know what he's doing, just that I'd be a tad disappointed. Anything over £50M, I'd be sad not to have him around for another season, but would happily accept that is the nature of the game.
As we all know (well NSC does!) TB doesn't set a price tag for prospective buyers to meet (actually, I'll bet he does, just doesn't let on to anyone what it is!), but just rejects unacceptable bids. By the same token, Manchester City will have a figure in mind above which they'll just say f*** off, you're havin' a laugh. My guess is that those two figures are pretty close - but whether they'll actually meet in the middle? - an interesting and nerve-wracking few weeks await!

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Cucurella is a decent player. But for £70m I'd drive him there. That's just nuts.

£50m for his contract would be a good piece of business for the Albion. Sometimes we do rather deify our players.

City want a player who will drop into a side looking to win the Champions League. The next step up. He's not played at that level with any regularity. I can see why there is only so far they will go on a defender. I shouldn't imagine there are many defenders who have transferred at £50m plus (only seven at £60m plus). I'll get my tin hat, but he is not at that level.

I know strikers have a premium, but our target Darwin Nunez did well in spanish second tier, an average season, then a good season in the Portuguese league (below the PL and still a calculated risk if will cut it at PL higher level consistently) and hes off for 85m package.

Cucu is proven in La Liga and proven in the PL with Player of the season and rave reviews. hes not a striker but he's coming from a higher starting point for his position and without the risk as he's proven it at this level.

So 50m from the worlds richest club is derisory.

I'm sure GasStation City do think they can help themselves from #teamslikeBrighton but I trust Bloom to make them pay top $ or bugger off.

If they want the crown jewels they better sell a few extra barrels.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You do realise that you support the Albion don’t you? Highs are normally followed by lows. Stop sounding like a Leeds fan :lolol:

Free Cucurella? :wink:

They’re confidently marching on together, to Europe.

I was in the BBC Radio Leeds area the evening they lost at home to Chelsea in May and looked doomed.

Their fanbase (callers) were still amazingly philosophical, positive with a passion for their club. Got to admire the ‘football’s a religion’ loyalty in the big northern and Scottish cities.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd agree with that, except the last bit - he is, IMHO, rightly in the same price bracket (at least) as Wan Bisaka, Mendy and Cancelo (although the latter's price was inflated by being part of a deal with an inflated price for a player going the other way in part exchange).
FWIW, if we sell him to City this summer for less than £50M I will be disappointed - and I'm happy to put that on record in advance. No, I won't be saying that I know better than the club, or that Uncle Tony doesn't know what he's doing, just that I'd be a tad disappointed. Anything over £50M, I'd be sad not to have him around for another season, but would happily accept that is the nature of the game.
As we all know (well NSC does!) TB doesn't set a price tag for prospective buyers to meet (actually, I'll bet he does, just doesn't let on to anyone what it is!), but just rejects unacceptable bids. By the same token, Manchester City will have a figure in mind above which they'll just say f*** off, you're havin' a laugh. My guess is that those two figures are pretty close - but whether they'll actually meet in the middle? - an interesting and nerve-wracking few weeks await!

This.

White and Wan Bissaka were not stand superior players to Cucurella.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Ultimately he is at the level we price him at assuming behind closed doors that figure exists

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cucurella-man-city-transfer-rumours-24264311

What demands City? We aren't trying to give away our player of the season, the richest club in the world is trying to buy him.

You'll walk away if we demand 50m?....Jog on then!

Precisely…..the article smacks of ‘who the **** do little old BHA think they are, we’ll pay what we think he’s worth and they’ll be grateful’. Apart from that, it’s nothing more than a collection of rumours……all ‘reported to be’ (ie ‘we read it on Twitter’)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
£50m - £15.500m (transfer fee) - replacement player £20m possibly? leaves a profit of £14.5m. I would ask for £60m or do one.

Citeh sold Angeliño at the beginning of the season. He has now developed into a top left back. I wonder if they have a buy back? He’d be a good Cucu replacement but his value is probably £30m+ now.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We hold pretty much all the cards here. Cucu has 4 years left on his deal, City have made it known they want/need a left back and they have a recent history of spending £50m+ for most of their defensive signings. Coupled to that, a) we know that TB is an expert negotiator and b) given their sovereign wealth, he will know that he can push his demands right to the wire.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I wonder where the tipping point is?

From Coochie's perspective, he seems happy and here and had there been no media speculation, no problem. Pepsi and Citeh is not something you can ignore.

From the club's perspective, he was intended to be a mid to long term starter but if you get an offer you can't refuse...

I hope we have him for at least one more season but the writing is on the wall.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Quite simply, is Tony's (and don't forget Barber Out who I think is very underrated in the clubs excellent running) figure of "that's a good deal" near Citehs figure of "yes he's worth that".

I'd hate to lose The Hair and he got my vote as the PoS, but at the end of the day the clubs long term goals are to become a stable mid table club and that means developing talent that CL clubs will come in for.

White and Biss have genuinely set the presidencies which makes us attract potential top talent like Encisco, knowing that even after one good season in the PL, they could be in the CL at one of the top 10 clubs in the world.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wonder where the tipping point is?

From Coochie's perspective, he seems happy and here and had there been no media speculation, no problem. Pepsi and Citeh is not something you can ignore.

From the club's perspective, he was intended to be a mid to long term starter but if you get an offer you can't refuse...

I hope we have him for at least one more season but the writing is on the wall.

World cup in November. Shirley Cucu will be thinking he has more chance of being on that plane if he's starting under Pep at Citeh.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
£50m - £15.500m (transfer fee) - replacement player £20m possibly? leaves a profit of £14.5m. I would ask for £60m or do one.

I agree on the asking price but the profit if we sold him for 50m and bought a replacement for 20m would be 30m. With 50m you'd be getting your original money back(the 15.5m paid for Cucu) plus a profit of 34.5 million. If you bought a replacement for 20m you'd then be spending the original 15.5m again plus 4.5m from the profit leaving you still 30m up.

I'd still hold out for 60m though. They've paid it before for defenders and they will pay it again so why not to us?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We’ll get to 500k views on this thread…and probably be no further forward :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here