Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn’t it irrelevant ? It’s well publicised that the club has a policy of not standing in the way of an employee or player moving, especially upwards if their valuation is met.

White £50M
Burn £13M-£15M
Bissouma £25M-£30M

You can’t then say we absolutely won’t sell Cucurella or put a stupid price tag on his head

50m for White was too much to turn down given our centre-back options.
13m for Burn was too much to turn down for a player that started the season as 4th choice centre back, had just turned 30 and had only 18 months left on his contract.
Bissouma only had 1 year left and was going to leave on a free, so 30m is a good deal for all.

Cucurella has 4 years to go and is currently our only genuine left-sided defender.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Other than Daniel Levy I can't think of another chairman who will make it as difficult as possible to sign players we don't want to lose.

Can't ask for more than that can we?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hopefully Cucu will become the most expensive left back in the world, if TB wants him to be.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
My biggest concern is getting a replacement for him. Took years to get a good left back after Wayne Bridge left.
This is going to weaken us for years to come I reckon.
The price needs to reflect that - not what he is worth but way above or he shouldn't go.
Seems a massive risk to lose Biss and Cucu at the same time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Isn’t it irrelevant ? It’s well publicised that the club has a policy of not standing in the way of an employee or player moving, especially upwards if their valuation is met.

White £50M
Burn £13M-£15M
Bissouma £25M-£30M

You can’t then say we absolutely won’t sell Cucurella or put a stupid price tag on his head

Of course. And presumably they thought all those deals represented value.
For Cucurella - Club don't want to sell, and City - despite everything - will still have a price in mind. Perhaps they're happy to pay £50m-60m etc. (or whatever "eye watering" fee Albion have slapped on his head) In which case ...
But perhaps not and they seek better value elsewhere.
(there's an element of straw clutching here obviously !!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
50m for White was too much to turn down given our centre-back options.
13m for Burn was too much to turn down for a player that started the season as 4th choice centre back, had just turned 30 and had only 18 months left on his contract.
Bissouma only had 1 year left and was going to leave on a free, so 30m is a good deal for all.

Cucurella has 4 years to go and is currently our only genuine left-sided defender.

Cochrane ? March ? Regardless it’s not Marc’s problem if we don’t have a back up, and it wasn’t in the public statement put out by Paul Barber about players and staff moving on. I don’t believe the club will simply refuse to listen to any offers or put a stupid price tag on his head, it breaks the whole model.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My guess is the biggest factor at play will be the world cup.

Marc has barely had any senior international recognition. A big money move to City and a good start under Pep would certainly catch Luis Enrique's eye

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course. And presumably they thought all those deals represented value.
For Cucurella - Club don't want to sell, and City - despite everything - will still have a price in mind. Perhaps they're happy to pay £50m-60m etc. (or whatever "eye watering" fee Albion have slapped on his head) In which case ...
But perhaps not and they seek better value elsewhere.
(there's an element of straw clutching here obviously !!)

With Cucurella the club have a bit of negotiating with the player too. In the case of Marc, give us another season, you'll still only be 24, gives us a chance to properly line up a replacement, then we'll sanction your move next summer. Bissouma is clearly a different case, he's served 4 years, he's played well for the club, with a year left he can go as a 26 yr old with the club's blessing.

Thing is, if you play hardball all the time and block moves, you can't have that conversation with Cucurella because he's not going to believe you. Players then who want to progress their careers aren't necessarily going to see Brighton as a destination to do that. So it's all a bit of balance really. We can't be a soft touch and sell at the drop of a hat, but neither can we just stubbornly think we just hold on to everyone. West Brom have a story to tell in that regard.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think it will take a stonking offer for us to sell but City are clearly capable of that. £50m + big add ons at the very least but agree £60m wouldn't be out of the question whatsoever. Would be gutting to see him leave, absolute joy to watch but the be all and end all is that he's a left back and we should be able to invest that in a good replacement & upgrade the squad in other areas.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

Thing is, if you play hardball all the time and block moves, you can't have that conversation with Cucurella because he's not going to believe you. Players then who want to progress their careers aren't necessarily going to see Brighton as a destination to do that. So it's all a bit of balance really. We can't be a soft touch and sell at the drop of a hat, but neither can we just stubbornly think we just hold on to everyone. West Brom have a story to tell in that regard.

Man City need a LWB now… if they don’t get Marc they get someone else, probably no move to Man City next summer. Could be other options next summer - but would they pay what Man City pay ? And of course what if he gets injured , loss of form, whatever else… risky one

His contract is a year less, so theoretically value drops a bit.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
One of the key factors is whether we can get a decent replacement lined up with fee and personal terms agreed, in readiness for an ‘eye watering’ offer for Cucurella.
If we don’t have one I can’t see us being open to the transfer.

It appears that we have been enquiring. Eg Porto Left Back.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My biggest concern is getting a replacement for him. Took years to get a good left back after Wayne Bridge left.
This is going to weaken us for years to come I reckon.
The price needs to reflect that - not what he is worth but way above or he shouldn't go.
Seems a massive risk to lose Biss and Cucu at the same time.

A replacement shouldn't be a problem if we get the sort of transfer fee that Bloom will hold out for, which I'd guess would be well north of 50m.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Sergio Gómez Is the one IMHO. Plays in Belgium so we will be very aware of him. Can play anywhere down the left.
Great pedigree but slightly under the radar. Young.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Gotta put "F**k off" money on him right? £75-£80m?

Something that would make City think twice but that would be a massive boon to us financially if they go for it.

Absolutely. We need to look at it positively like this. Last year we sold White for 50m and spent that money on two first team players - Cucurella and Mwepu - with change left over to buy Mitoma, Undav and Kozlowski for the future. If City make an eye-watering bid, in addition to the £30m already banked for Bissouma, then our recruitment guys could have some serious fun for the remainder of the transfer window.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
City are planning on raising £150-200m in sales this summer. They can easily afford to pick up Haaland for a bargain £50m and then Cucurella for £60m (premium for being left footed, Spanish and brilliant all at the same time). They'll also help themselves to another central midfielder or two, if Gundogan leaves.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
City are planning on raising £150-200m in sales this summer. They can easily afford to pick up Haaland for a bargain £50m and then Cucurella for £60m (premium for being left footed, Spanish and brilliant all at the same time). They'll also help themselves to another central midfielder or two, if Gundogan leaves.

Indeed… Jesus off to Arsenal for £50M as well by the look of it

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Kyle Walker 50m 2017
Ruben Dias 61m 2020
John Stones 50m 2016
Nathan Ake 41m 2020
Aymeric Laporte 57m 2018
Jaoa Cancelo 60m 2019

These are the prices City paid for their current defenders. If you want to include Mendy, he was 52m in 2017.

So the cheapest player there is Ake, a back up centre half who they bought from a relegated team.

If Cucurella goes, and it seems almost inconceivable that he wouldn't want to if City are genuinely interested, then he goes for a lot of money. He's a key player for us and has four years on his contract. City want him as a first choice left back.

Put all that together and I'd be staggered if he went for under 50m. I suspect we could get 60m or more for him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nuts to think we might’ve sold two players for £50million+ in just over a year. Absolutely nuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here