Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manual vs. Automatic car - domestic dispute

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Auto all the way. I've got a Animal 4x4 manual for towing and farm work, a focus for the mrs manual and its crap but for comfort a XJ8 auto , mainly the old man drives it but if I'm going out it great fun and fast

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Switched to auto in 1987 after driving around USA and Canada for 3 months. Never looked back. Have not encountered a problem with ice and snow. Just ease the throttle and away you go. As for mpg if you drive sensibly with either auto or manual it does not make much difference. Currently with a Honda Civic - new model -and get 38 mpg.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Autos have improved enormously over last few years. Even my lorry is an auto now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If she gets flustered just changing gear, should she be let loose at all on anything?

Dandyman

In London village.
Looking to get hold of a cheapish 2nd hand car soon and my better half wants me to get one she can drive too and is pressuring me to get an automatic but I am resisting telling her she has to learn to drive manual. Always thought there was something faintly unmanly about automatics, especially shit cars that are automatic. What do you reckon?
Am I being an unreasonable twadge?

You are entirely reasonable. Automatics are for Yanks and gayers.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Manual for me, I could never get used to a car deciding for me which great I should be in. I like the option of controlling my gears to suit me!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Autos have improved enormously over last few years. Even my lorry is an auto now.

So are most buses, trucks in the US are usually auto, it's a quicker method of going up and down 16 gears. I've owned a Cherokee in the US which I've driven in snow, never seems to be a problem with it's auto box and nither was the Oldsmobile Intrege (a damn good car considering it was American) which was a front wheel drive vehicle and the snow didn't bother that one's auto box either.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I've been driving an automatic since 1992 and having started from the stance of "I'll never drive one of them, they're for granddads" I quickly moved to the position of "I'll never go back to a manual". However, recently with escalating fuel costs, I have been persuaded to switch to deisel for the first time and in pursuit of better fuel economy I have allowed myself to be persuaded to look at manual gearboxes and, in particular, stop-start technology. Not sure which way I'll go yet but I'm really looking forward to the next three months test driving everything that's available :)

I live on a hill and as long as it's a front wheel drive I've never had a problem in snow etc. - even pulling away on sheet ice this winter in Holland - just pop it into drive and let it find its own way. Lovely!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Is the correct answer!

I've driven autos for about 15 years. The only time I drive a manual now is when I have to borrow one from the garage. I can't believe how much extra work it is, especially when crawling along in traffic. There's no point, unless you're trying to race on public roads - which is difficult when there's always another car in front. Autos let you concentrate on what's going on around you, which it sounds like your wife needs. Also handy for her to drive if you want a drink!

I love my 1.4 Jazz with its **smooth** CVT, and have a test drive booked for the new model tomorrow. :love:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I thought automatics were more dangerous because it takes a fraction longer for the brakes to engage.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I live on a hill and as long as it's a front wheel drive I've never had a problem in snow etc. - even pulling away on sheet ice this winter in Holland - just pop it into drive and let it find its own way. Lovely!

I live at the bottom of a hill, and have no problems in snow - it's always the rear-wheel-drive BMWs and Audis that struggle. I have manual over-ride on my CVT, but rarely if ever use it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I thought automatics were more dangerous because it takes a fraction longer for the brakes to engage.

Not heard that before, can't say I've ever had any problems. Modern cars, and all that.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
auto is for girls.

manual is for boys.

end of.

old company car was auto and nearly pranged it many times hitting the brake thinking it was the clutch....well dodge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here