Manual vs. Automatic car - domestic dispute

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
auto is for girls.

manual is for boys.

end of.

old company car was auto and nearly pranged it many times hitting the brake thinking it was the clutch....well dodge.

Yeah, but this thread is for grown-ups.

Please tell me you weren't driving an auto using two feet?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
old company car was auto and nearly pranged it many times hitting the brake thinking it was the clutch....well dodge.

Says more about your driving abilities than the car though in fairness?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not heard that before, can't say I've ever had any problems. Modern cars, and all that.

In years gone by cars would slow down when you lifted off as the engines were a lot less powerful and the engine break you would slow you. Obviously an auto box wouldn't work quite as quickly but it had nothing to do with the breaking system. As then and now the more powerful the engine the less engine break.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looking to get hold of a cheapish 2nd hand car soon and my better half wants me to get one she can drive too and is pressuring me to get an automatic but I am resisting telling her she has to learn to drive manual. Always thought there was something faintly unmanly about automatics, especially shit cars that are automatic. What do you reckon?
Am I being an unreasonable twadge?

I've not read the other replies, but I've had both automatics and manual cars. I personally prefer manual gearboxes, but if a good automatic comes along I wouldn't let it stop me buying it. For the sake of getting along just get an auto.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Automatics can be a pig in the snow !

Wrong

Autos are better in the snow because the drive comes in smother, go to most european countrys that have white winters, a lot of autos.

I didnt drive a auto for a while but now love driving them. The newer 6 speed autos are not so bad on fuel. A 2000 - 2001 BMW Auto with service history cant go to far wrong.

The only minus I have with auto is engine braking is not there.

Noldi

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
... my abiding experience of an Automatic car (Nissan Primera 2ltr )was it always got me home - even after playing a football match in Cowfold and breaking my right ankle I drove to the hospital in Chichester and got my lower leg plastered (for a change) and drove home to Bognor using my left foot (not that I recommend doing that) and I'm sure had I hit anything or been hit I would of invalidated my insurance...

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I never understand why people think that automatics are easier to drive. Just exactly how difficult do other people find it to drive a manual?!?!?!?! It's a piece of piss in any traffic!

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
I never understand why people think that automatics are easier to drive. Just exactly how difficult do other people find it to drive a manual?!?!?!?! It's a piece of piss in any traffic!

yes but some of us drive in London most of the time....

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I own an automatic. BIG, BIG, BIG mistake. Never again. Very thirsty.

Depends on a lot of other things beside the gearbox. Get over 60mpg from mine.

Just got a Golf automatic after driving manual since last happy dabble with automatics some 15 years ago.
What a relief and a pleasure and so much easier too!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Always going to be a polarised debate, I switched to an auto when buying a 2nd hand Saab 10 yrs ago, and wouldn't switch back. I've now bought a newish car and paid the extra for the auto version. Driven a few manual hire cars since and in traffic / urban especially the auto is just so easy.

Current car has the triptonic like gear box but I rarely use it. The engine mode settings are enough to be able to adjust to a particular driving style.

On the negative side, the auto gearbox's are thirstier, as each gear change uses a bit more fuel and the box itself is heavier. Probably worth approx. 2 - 5 mpg like for like compared to a manual.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I own an automatic. BIG, BIG, BIG mistake. Never again. Very thirsty.

As LE2 said, depends how you drive it. What model is it? It maybe just as thirsty as a manual. An auto box like for like in most cases will be under 5mpg less efficient than the same size engine like for like car in a manual.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here