Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mandela Effect / False memories

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The Lindbergh Baby case is often remembered by people as a missing baby case.

The dead child was found however.

I had to re-read that.

For a moment I thought the child had been found and it was a happy happening.

Then after re-reading your quote I realise you've written the dead child was found however.

You had my hopes hope for a moment there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That Andone is the answer to our striker problems. We have a history of players becoming much better when injured, the longer the better. Seldom, if ever, proves to be the case though. Most come back slower and worse than we remembered.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I think I'm right in saying that lots of people insist they saw the episode of Who Wants to be a Millionaire where the guy won a million with coughing, but the episode in question wasn't shown at the time because he was caught.

I have an extremely clear memory of being told the result of the England/Argentina game in the 1998 world cup as I came down the stairs the next morning, which I only know to be false as the memory is of a house I didn't live in at the time. I expect everybody has lots of similar memories which they never twig are false because there's not such an obvious error.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Commentary example: there's no record of any cricket commentator ever saying "the batman's Holding, the bowler's Willey". Despite this there are disagreements as to what the "correct" form of the quote is with regard to which player was the batsman/bowler.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I was very disappointed to find that "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey", attributed to Brian Johnston, was never said back in 1976.

Michael Caine claims never to have said "Not a lot of people know that"

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Churchill's 'We shall fight them on the beaches' speech - an excerpt of it was read on the radio by a BBC announcer on 04/06/40 that evening as radio broadcasts from parliament did not start until the 1970s', Churchill made a recording of it in 1949, however a lot of people who lived through the war claimed they heard it in 1940 on the radio.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure anyone has ever said ‘hates,’ indifferent to us a more accurate summation.

there are some who say this, based on him talking more often about time at PNE (home town club) and Liverpool (career peak winning everything). funny that.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I have a vivid childhood memory of playing in an abandoned railway building across from the Swiss Cottage Pub that, according to maps going back 150 years, never existed. Memories are weird aren't they.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The Song We are the champions doesnt end ‘ no time for losers because we are the champions... of the world’ the song ends dead after champions.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember Johnny Cantor allegedly saying of Christian Walton off pitch exploits.
"What he gets up to on Waltons mountain, stays on Waltons mountain"

One for the elder NSC members :lolol:

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The Song We are the champions doesnt end ‘ no time for losers because we are the champions... of the world’ the song ends dead after champions.

No, but "...of the world" is sung at the end of each chorus, as noted above at ca. 1:09 and again at ca. 2:26. As false memories go, it's a fairly forgivable one...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m doing a PhD that dips into memory studies, so I find this fascinating. So did the commentator who is alleged to have said those words just go along with it, believing he must have said it if others said he did?

Mine is a flawed example because the the commentary “And Smith must score” did happen, but I find it interesting how broadcasters most often show the OTHER commentary of that moment where those words weren’t uttered (at least that’s what I’ve experienced). Because “And Smith must score” is such a cult Albion saying, it makes it difficult trying to prove that to others when showing them footage that most often is not by that commentator!

The first time he was asked about the quote he had no memory of it. In later interviews it seemed like he had started to believe that he said it himself.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Not sure anyone has ever said ‘hates,’ indifferent to us a more accurate summation.

Indeed.

Asked why he wouldn't campaign for Falmer, Lawrenson once told NSC's founder that we were "never gonna get it".

I'm sure I heard him call Liverpool "my team" a few months back. Not "one of my teams".

Jul 20, 2003
SAC;9765861 Michael Caine claims never to have said "[I said:
Not a lot of people know that[/I]"

However he did have a book out in the early 80s called 'Not Many People Know That' which was packed full of 'interesting' facts. To tie in nicely with the subject of this thread , on further inspection,a lot of the 'facts' were found to be untrue. As a further twist some of the facts that were deemed to be untrue were subsequently found to actually be correct.

:mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here