Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mandela Effect / False memories

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
In The Lord of the Rings, in the book Gandalf says;

You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

In the movie, he says

"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!"

At no point does he say "thou shalt not pass" or "thou shall not pass" in any Lord of the Rings media ever produced.

I suspect people confuse this with the Ten Commandments.

I'm 28 in nerd culture, i have never heard anyone say that.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Also with things like “I am your father, Luke,” this is because it’s so often misquoted that people think it’s the original and somehow superimpose it onto the film in their memories.

And then they see the actual film...

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Humphrey Bogart never said, "Play it Again Sam".

Jimmy Cagney never said, "You Dirty Rat"

Captain Kirk never said, "Beam me up Scotty".

This is probably down to the odd phenomenon of impersonators coming up with catchphrases not actually said by their subject.

Mike Yarwood’s Dennis Healey saying, “Silly billy,” for example.

Or Rory Bremner’s Barry Norman saying, “And why not?”

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
On the flipside...Something happened in my life and i remember telling myself at the time 'the best thing you can do, the most you can hope for here, is that you forget everything that just happened'.
And I did forget.
It's unsettling.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm 28 in nerd culture, i have never heard anyone say that.

Me neither. I know there was some confusion within my group of friends over whether he says 'run, you fools' or 'fly/flee, you fools' before he falls (and that is more mishearing than misremembering), but I have never heard anyone say 'thou shalt not pass', at least not in reference to LotR.

There's the tale of Sinbad's Shazaam movie: https://ourcommunitynow.com/film/sinbads-shazaam-the-strange-case-of-a-movie-that-doesnt-exist

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’ve never heard of “Thou shallt not pass” either.

And shallt not = shall not not, which makes no sense anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of people mistakenly think that the small blonde girl in specs that Jaws (metal-toothed assassin, not shark) hooks up with in Moonraker has braces on her teeth when she smiles at him. They’re puzzled when they see that she doesn’t.

Various YouTube videos insist that time and reality have been rewritten due to an experiment at CERN.

But surely the far likelier explanation is that the Bond film makers missed a trick. The girl should have had braces on her teeth as it would've been a fun link to Jaws. Viewers thought that and somehow a few of them added the braces in hindsight. Should have became did over the years.

I saw an original 1979 35mm release print of Moonraker and have seen it on TV, rental VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K on iTunes (I’m a big Bond fan). I don’t ever remember seeing braces on the girl. So either I’m a fugitive from a parallel universe or the Mandela Effect is a load of bollocks.

Errr... not a lot of bollocks is it? The Mandela Effect is about the human minds ability to create false memories based on things we hear or see and then connect in ways that turns into false memories. Like the example with the girl in Moonraker:

1. Jaws got "braces" (well..)
2. Girl is "ugly" / non-pretty for a Bond girl
3. Braces is associated with ugly
4. These things together results in a lot of people creating a false memory of the girl wearing braces

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Errr... not a lot of bollocks is it? The Mandela Effect is about the human minds ability to create false memories based on things we hear or see and then connect in ways that turns into false memories. Like the example with the girl in Moonraker:

1. Jaws got "braces" (well..)
2. Girl is "ugly" / non-pretty for a Bond girl
3. Braces is associated with ugly
4. These things together results in a lot of people creating a false memory of the girl wearing braces

I’ve seen many YouTube videos of people saying that the Mandela Effect is the result of nefarious activities at the Large Hadron Collider rewriting history. That’s what I said was bollocks.

Obviously false memories are real.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ve seen many YouTube videos of people saying that the Mandela Effect is the result of nefarious activities at the Large Hadron Collider rewriting history. That’s what I said was bollocks.

Obviously false memories are real.

Ok then we're on the same page.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I think I’ve captured a Mandela Effect. I was looking at a website listing them and it said of Queen’s We Are the Champions...

...it might come as a surprise to you that ‘of the world’ was nowhere in the song.

Well, I’ve found an alternate dimension version that has it at the 1.09 mark.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] has got an absolute mass of urban myths about how tasty things were when he followed Brighton back in the day.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One of the most famous ones that lingered in my teenage years was the Soft Cell stomach pump incident.

It was, of course, utter tosh.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I remember reading about many people in Australia who remember an island off the coast but obviously it's not there now.
It quite a few thousand who remember seeing it on maps many years ago.
I did have a really good Mandela effect and I remember trying it on loads of people and I remember everyone agreed with me.
I remember you their reactions clear as any memory, but curiously I cannot remember what it was.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Still curious about this one, someone in here should be surprised there is no video clip like that?

There was an incident in the 1980s where a contestant on a BBC TV show (The Late Late Breakfast Show) was killed rehearsing a bungee jump. A few years later, when the internet was becoming more used, I’d come across people convinced they’d seen the guy’s death live on TV. They’d get quite indignant when I pointed out that it couldn’t have happened.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Neil Armstrong said "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" upon stepping onto the moon surface.

But later revealed that was NOT what he meant to say ....

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
In Sweden we have a well-known case of the Mandela effect.

At the mid-90s a football commentator supposedly said:

"Its looking dark on the bench of Cameroon".

He meant dark as in that they were in a bad mood, but people thought it was funny because... well, they were all pretty black.

This was quoted in several "funny" sports books and at some point around 2010 the Swedish people voted it as "the most famous Swedish sport quote". The commentator himself thought it was a little bit funny and silly.

But despite how "funny" it was, no one could find it on Youtube. A group of people started to look for it, and it didnt appear where it was supposed to be found (in one of Cameroons games in World Cup 94). They watched the TV recordings, the summaries on the news afterwards, even radio commentaries, before they even started to watch the recordings of the other African teams. Not finding anything they pretty much watched and listened to every single game showed on Swedish TV involving teams from Africa from the 80s onwards - but nothing. Years of research and investigation into what was the "most famous Swedish sports quote of all time".

Most people now accept it was never said, but once in a while someone turns up on the largest Swedish internet forum - Flashback - saying "I'm sure I saw and heard it", someone even describing exactly when they think it happened "England/other team just scored against Cameroon and they showed a picture of the bench and Arne Hegerfors said the quote". Every time they are proven wrong - sometimes accepting it, sometimes not.

This is a fascinating case of a shared false memory fooling literally millions of Swedes, and I find it very fascinating. Personally I was also dead certain I had heard and seen it until I looked at the extensive gathered evidence and had to accept that no, it was never said.

Anyone got similar experiences?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

I’m doing a PhD that dips into memory studies, so I find this fascinating. So did the commentator who is alleged to have said those words just go along with it, believing he must have said it if others said he did?

Mine is a flawed example because the the commentary “And Smith must score” did happen, but I find it interesting how broadcasters most often show the OTHER commentary of that moment where those words weren’t uttered (at least that’s what I’ve experienced). Because “And Smith must score” is such a cult Albion saying, it makes it difficult trying to prove that to others when showing them footage that most often is not by that commentator!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here