Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mandatory jabs for Nhs staff and care workers.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We've just come back from a week away in Norfolk, staying in a NT property, where our nearest neighbour was a few miles away, so no real contact with other humanoids.
It was only when we visited other NT properties, where the majority of the visitors (elderly) were not wearing masks in enclosed spaces, either that or they're hanging of chins or ears :rolleyes:
Obviously it's a matter of choice, but it does make you wonder.

I think this whole mask issue is down to a simple matter of messaging.

It’s a contraction versus transmission.

Too many people have a fixed idea (conscious or unconscious) about masks protecting them from contracting Covid as opposed to transmitting Covid.

This and people are fixated on the idea of masks and loss eg loss of freedom. Loss aversion is a more powerful driver so people refuse or are more lazy.

Just a point of view. I don’t think people are evil. Just misguided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
IThis and people are fixated on the idea of masks and loss eg loss of freedom. Loss aversion is a more powerful driver so people refuse or are more lazy.

Nail on head :thumbsup:

I drank so much coffee, I thought I was going to keel over from breathing my skunk breathe in thru mask :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Too many people have a fixed idea (conscious or unconscious) about masks protecting them from contracting Covid as opposed to transmitting Covid.

This and people are fixated on the idea of masks and loss eg loss of freedom. Loss aversion is a more powerful driver so people refuse or are more lazy.

And the 'you can't prove that masks will stop me getting Covid, so I'm not wearing one' contingent.

Given that I can't prove that Madonna isn't waiting for me with open arms and heaving bosom, at the bottom of my garden, I'm off. Will report back later :love:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I agree should be encouraged, or even bribed to an extent, to take the vaccine to the people that haven't.

But threatening people with their jobs is a step too far though, imo. At the end of the day they are vaccines that have been rushed through trials and surely it's not acceptable to lawfully obligate people to put it into their bodies if they don't want to.

I haven't had the vaccine and they could make my life so unliveable through restricting my freedoms that I'd have to take it... but if they're to do that, they may as well just make it a legal requirement for everyone to have it and then they'd get more or less 100%.

There two types of vaccine one of which has been in the making/testing for 15 years or so , though not exactly for COVIOD 19. The other has probably had as much testing as many previous mass vaccination programmes.

I am very pro vaccination , my wife nearly died with COVID (I had 'the' horrible call from ICU but we got lucky) and she still has no immunity despite 2 jabs. So I am biased but putting that in context I had the BCG jab when I was 14 as did everyone in the class , I had everything else that was given. Same with my kids , though one did not have MMR as she had a history of Febrile Convulsions.

One thing I did not realise was that the UK was one of the few countries in Europe where the BCG injection was not mandatory though it probably had a very high take up as TB had killed many in previous generations.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
In my eyes, they are not deciding if they want a Jab or not...
They are deciding if they want to go to the pub, or restaurant, or have a job in healthcare, go to the footy etc or not.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
In my eyes, they are not deciding if they want a Jab or not...
They are deciding if they want to go to the pub, or restaurant, or have a job in healthcare, go to the footy etc or not.

Yep this is the next inevitable stage. The willingly unvaccinated are deliberately joining what will be a new minority group. They will bleat on about discrimination and human rights while the rest of us just shrug our shoulders and get on with it. Rural red America will make the most noise. Some of the red states may even pass laws against it, but it’ll be like King Canute telling the tide not to come in for all the good it will do. I almost have a modicum of sympathy for some of them. For many of them their entire World view and politics is derived from the fear of becoming a minority and cos of this virus and identity politics (in America at least) they now find that they’ve become a minority group by choice. I don’t think they’ll deal with it very well.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s not meant as a criticism but there are certain times when that may not be enough and we need to respond as a community. Examples are war and pandemic.

It is a criticism - and an entirely justified one! There is one word which scares the sh*t out of all the 'freedom fighters', protestors for liberty, 'my human rights' activists. That simple word is 'must'. Even the Prime Minister cannot condone it's use - and that ultimately will be the biggest cause of his tenure in office being written off by history as a failure. Which is a shame in a way (bracing myself for hate responses from those who believe he is the devil incarnate and everything he's done has been evil or incompetant or worse) - his intial respinse to Covid, though panic stricken like anyone else would be, was no worse than a lot of foreign leaders (who published they're Covid deaths very differenty too) and considerably better than some.
And although NSC can't abide or accept it, the majority of the country did want it and he did get Brexit done - could have done it better, sure; could have been a lot better if the EU hadn't decidided to make it as difficut as possible at every opportunity in the hope of threatening any other countries with thoughts of foolowig suite.

Whatever, Boris' place in history will be severly judged on the old (OK,Middle aged then!).social libatarian's mantra that I just cannot bring myself to use the word 'must'!

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As an NHS worker of course the jab should be mandatory for staff.

I’d go further as well….. but will leave it there.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
No, you can attend the Amex as an unvaccinated person with a passed Lateral Flow Test, just like all other events other than nightclubs for some reason.

Yeah that won't last. Too much faffing about for businesses to bother keeping that up. Businesses are free to pass their own rules on who they allow on to their premises and a large number of them will will be vaccinated only. And they will want it to be as easy as possible for the vaccinated to enter their establishments, we're talking phone apps and vaccine ID cards. It's already happening in Japan......

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/C...issue-online-vaccine-certificates-in-December

They say it's for "international use only" but certain companies will see a business opportunity and use it to create safe environments for potential customers who wish to engage in entertainment knowing that they're in a 99% safe environment.

There'll be businesses that won't let you in if you don't have an app proving your positive vaccination status. You're in for a shock if you think this won't happen in the UK.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The pandemic is all but over in this country.

In reality, after this winter, there will be absolutely no restrictions ever again. What we are experiencing now is merely a push to get a few more people vaccinated before the flu season, nothing more than that.

Still at it ..

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Sorry, but none of this dystopian shite you describe can or will happen.

The pandemic is all but over in this country. We have this flu season to get through, during which it's likely we'll see some restrictions again, but only face masks etc.

But enforcing mandatory vaccination in any form would cause severe social and economic issues. NHS and health workers excepted.

Vaccination Centres would have to become a new government department, as people would need to be vaccinated more than once per year in order to be free.

In reality, after this winter, there will be absolutely no restrictions ever again. What we are experiencing now is merely a push to get a few more people vaccinated before the flu season, nothing more than that.

I really can't make my mind up if you are on a wind up, or just plain stupid?*

*or Sajid Javid in disguise.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I agree, not evil but I would add 'selfish' to misguided.

My view always has been that you either wear a mask or a shield. The shield probably won't stop anywhere near as much aerosol spray from your mouth entering the air but the fact that it is cumbersome would mean all those 'selfish misguided' souls in the supermarkets etc would prefer a little mask that slips into your pocket rather than the shield that probably needs a separate bag to carry it around in!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here