Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester United versus Arsenal - The Poll

Who do you want to go through to the final?

• The Red Devils

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • The Gooners

Votes: 69 69.7%

• Total voters

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Only one team left in this pantomime is the reigning Champion of their league.

I've noticed the Albion aren't in it so I don't care that much.

Bring back the European cup,with knockout from the start.It would also end the whining about fixture congestion and make teams interested in the FA Cup,the best competition of all. (We nearly won it you know,and I was there!)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I hate the way people compare Manchester United to Chelsea.

Yes they are now both incredibly rich, but in my opinion United have earned this, while Chelsea were simply given money by a Russian multi-billionaire. Yes United now have rich foreign owners too, but the bed-rock of their success over the last 15-20 years has been their excellent youth system.

Absolute rubbish. Sorry but it is. It has to do with ONE period of time when a great youth team coincided with bucket loads of moneybeing thrown at the premiership.

Since then Man U have not produced a single world class player through their youth system. Name one if you can. All I can think that has come through is Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher. Hardly great is it.

Since then Man U's financial success has been borne from very aggressive marketing in the Far East and Southern Africa. It's why Kenyon was poached for Chelsea.

Common as Mook is (as usual) spot on with his analysis. Chelsea and Man U are the same.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Absolute rubbish. Sorry but it is. It has to do with ONE period of time when a great youth team coincided with bucket loads of moneybeing thrown at the premiership.

Since then Man U have not produced a single world class player through their youth system. Name one if you can. All I can think that has come through is Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher. Hardly great is it.

Since then Man U's financial success has been borne from very aggressive marketing in the Far East and Southern Africa. It's why Kenyon was poached for Chelsea.

Common as Mook is (as usual) spot on with his analysis. Chelsea and Man U are the same.

I think you're the one talking compete rubbish, but there you go.

you say that their support in the Far East is down to 'very aggressive marketing', sorry but that's wrong, it's down to intelligent marketing.

You also seem to be suggesting that they've only brought any decent kids through at one period of time, again you are wrong. That was their golden generation, but they have brought many more through over the years.

Skint Gull; you say that United pinch players from all over the country. I'm not sure on all the facts regarding this, but how many of Arsenal's youth team, or the group that we see playing in the Carling Cup, are from North London?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I
You also seem to be suggesting that they've only brought any decent kids through at one period of time, again you are wrong. That was their golden generation, but they have brought many more through over the years.

Name them then.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Name them then.

OK. I'm not going to bother with the entire list as we could be here for while. For a start the Busby Babes had their foundation in United's academy, and there have been many many more. Just a few names:

George Best
Bobby Charlton
Mark Hughes
Brian Kidd
PAUL MCSHANE :jester:
Phillip Mulryne
Jackie Blanchflower
Johnny Carey
David Platt
Norman Whiteside

etc etc etc

The list goes on.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
manchester united make me want to f***ing puke, and barca© (exclusively brought to you by nike) aren't far behind in their holier-than-thou sickly pseudo-left save the children bollocks, hardly athletic bilboa are they?

however, i do like pepe guardiola

e__archivo_photo_10_1_1_20070730_yba12f1.tif.jpg

does anybody else think that if arsenal win the champions league, it will kind of take away some of the competition's integrity (what's left of it anyway)?

This is a that a team that hasn't realisticly pushed for their domestic league title for 5 years, potentially being crowned the best in europe?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
That's the 1999 title scrapped then.

The Utd pedalled 'homegrown' player ideal does make me laugh.

Since the golden generation, lets have a look at their English players shall we

Wayne Rooney - bought for £28m
Rio Ferdinand - bought for £30m (most expensive defender in the world)
Michael Carrick - bought for £18m
Owen Hargreaves - bought for £18m

A team of 5 or 6 Englishmen looks great on paper, but when you realise that none of the younger generation are Utd trained, its just another example of how Utd and Chelsea are able to stifle any sort of fair competition in the Premiership.

Additionaly, their best current young players are Italian and Brazilian.

Well said. United are toss and would take great pleasure in seeing anyone but united win.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
does anybody else think that if arsenal win the champions league, it will kind of take away some of the competition's integrity (what's left of it anyway)?

This is a that a team that hasn't realisticly pushed for their domestic league title for 5 years, potentially being crowned the best in europe?

I completely agree.

I would be totally in favour of the European Cup being reformed, as I think only the Champions of their individual leagues should have the opportunity to be crowned the best in Europe. The name itself is not right, as it's not the Champion's League is it? It's 'The Best 3 or 4 Teams in Each Country League'.

However with all the money around it now there is no chance of a proper Champions League being formed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I completely agree.

I would be totally in favour of the European Cup being reformed, as I think only the Champions of their individual leagues should have the opportunity to be crowned the best in Europe. The name itself is not right, as it's not the Champion's League is it? It's 'The Best 3 or 4 Teams in Each Country League'.

However with all the money around it now there is no chance of a proper Champions League being formed.

after the group stage, it's not even a league either

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
I think a lot of people's thought's on Manchester United, and their youth team, are clouded by the hatred they feel for them, either because they support one of their rivals, or because they have been so successful and dominant.

I realise I am beginning to sound like a Manchester united fan here, which I most definitely am not, but I don't think people should be overly critical of their youth system, which has been good throughout their history.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
As has been said it is The Champions League , not and runners up,so only the champions should take part so it has to be Man Utd.

At least if it is a Barcelona v Man Utd final both teams were their countries champions.

Barca haven't won the league since 05/06

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I hate the way people compare Manchester United to Chelsea.

Yes they are now both incredibly rich, but in my opinion United have earned this, while Chelsea were simply given money by a Russian multi-billionaire. Yes United now have rich foreign owners too, but the bed-rock of their success over the last 15-20 years has been their excellent youth system.

Crock of shit. Man United are one of the main reasons for the state of the Premier League. Abramovich never would have ended up here if it wasnt for United in the 90's.

I hope neither team wins the whole thing. Both a load of WANKERS.

Having said that... It would be pretty amusing if Arsenal won the CHAMPIONS League despite finishing 4th in the prem.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Crock of shit.

Is that necessary?

One team had to be successful in the 90s. Why do you think that Abramovich wouldn't have gone to Chelsea if it hadn't been for Manchester United?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I completely agree.

Money has ruined the game. What happened to the prestige of Europe and just being proud to be there. The money should be what its all about, it should be an added bonus.

Champions of each league in the Champions League would be brilliant. It may not be as competitive as you would take out Liverpool, AC Milan, Barcelona etc, but it would have true meaning.

European football is just shit, especially when you get teams like Bolton, Villa and Spurs trying to knock themselves because the money is better in The Premier League. They should be proud they have worked so hard to get into Europe, do their best once they are there, and actually try and win the thing. Not field reserves and youth teamers to look like you are trying but actually want to get knocked out

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Money has ruined the game. What happened to the prestige of Europe and just being proud to be there. The money should be what its all about, it should be an added bonus.

Champions of each league in the Champions League would be brilliant. It may not be as competitive as you would take out Liverpool, AC Milan, Barcelona etc, but it would have true meaning.

European football is just shit, especially when you get teams like Bolton, Villa and Spurs trying to knock themselves because the money is better in The Premier League. They should be proud they have worked so hard to get into Europe, do their best once they are there, and actually try and win the thing. Not field reserves and youth teamers to look like you are trying but actually want to get knocked out

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here