Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Managers that could do a job....add yours

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
The pro-Mcghee brigade scoff at most of the suggestions on here but who are the two surprise managers of the season? Mike Newell and Adrian Bothroyd. Who would have thought it?

Just because it worked with them does not mean it will with us. I would rather keep a manager who has got three teams promoted from League 1 (on the basis that we are probably going down) than take a gamble.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
A manager that has achieved the outstanding record of 5 wins in 37 games this season....

You clearly have not quite grasped the fact that we cannot compete financially at this level. Obviously in League 1 this will not be such a problem.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
But then the squad we had in September was good enough.

You obviously have not grasped the fact that if we do not get results then the manager is failing.

I am sorry I did not realise that there was an official squad survey in September and we were declared to be good enough.

In my opinion, anyone who thought we were definitely good enough on the basis of a few good results just got carried away. Why should Mark McGhee pay for your increased expectation.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Uncle Buck said:
But then the squad we had in September was good enough.

shortly after, all the other clubs realised they would struggle and invested in players.

I just needed to read this thread this morning just to settle in my mind that we have the best man for the job.

If people hate McGhee so much then why don't they let him stew in his own sh!t in Div1?.Somwhere where we know he's the best man for the job.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
I am sorry I did not realise that there was an official squad survey in September and we were declared to be good enough.

In my opinion, anyone who thought we were definitely good enough on the basis of a few good results just got carried away. Why should Mark McGhee pay for your increased expectation.

Well man for man it was a better squad than we have now, after whatever issues have gone on.

Not sure people thought we would cruise this season, but there is no way we should have ended up a drift in the bottom 3 and a lot of that has to comeback to the manager. The 5 wins in 37 games shows that he is failing, as football is about results.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Uncle Buck said:
Well man for man it was a better squad than we have now, after whatever issues have gone on.

Not sure people thought we would cruise this season, but there is no way we should have ended up a drift in the bottom 3 and a lot of that has to comeback to the manager. The 5 wins in 37 games shows that he is failing, as football is about results.

I think that you underestimate what a talisman Adam Virgo was for us last season. So we lost our leading scorer and were unable to replace him in terms of finding a target man (for whatever reasons). Player for player the squad may be stronger this year but we lack the target man.

I believe that McGhee still has the support of the majority of fans and the squad. He will find it easier to get quality players to come to Brighton at League 1 level and we will challenge next year with him in charge. That is why I would not gamble on a new manager.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
You clearly have not quite grasped the fact that we cannot compete financially at this level. Obviously in League 1 this will not be such a problem.

Just out of interest, how much did Luton spend in the summer? I can't remember many big signings.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
Just out of interest, how much did Luton spend in the summer? I can't remember many big signings.

They signed Rowan Vine, Warren Feeney, Dean Morgan and Carlos Edwards in the summer, David Bell from Rushden in the transfer window. I am sure that there are more.

Do you notice the difference though. They have all played in the Coca Cola Leagues before this season. This is where we cannot compete. If a player interests us and another Championship (or even League 1) club then they look at Withdean and compare it even to Kenilworth Road (despite it being a dump at least it is a proper ground). Then they hear the wages available and decide not to join Brighton. This is not McGhee's fault but that is where we lose out especially with free transfer players.

We are forced to sign untried players from abroad e.g. Turienzo, Carole and Frutos, rejects from lower leagues e.g. Currie and young Premiership players who nobody else wants on loan e.g. Henderson and McShane.

Now I know that some intelligent person will come up with wages, ground :bla:

However this is the truth. Until Falmer we will struggle to compete at this level. I believe that Mark McGhee is doing the best anyone can under the circumstances. You can come up with most Championship clubs and say they have problems but some people do not seem to understand that our issues in terms of the money spent on Withdean/Falmer are a one off. Comparison with Luton is irrelevant although their squad has cost more than ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here