Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Managers that could do a job....add yours

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I love this, most people name credible successors and they get shot down in flames as not the right person for the job. This is of course to add to those applicants that we may get that nobody has touted.

Virtually all managers have had promotions and relegations behind them. After this season even MM will have a relegation. So what? It is clear he cant get the best out of the team anymore, his coaching is suspect (non shooting, scoring forward line with a GLUT of 6 strikers alone) and our set pieces are dire etc.

Who is to say that Danny Wilson wouldnt get the best out of our current team...or Holloway or Jim Smith or a Ray and Dean Wilkins team or my mum or Uncle Tom Cobbleys Granny granny??? What is abundantly clear is the current set up is not working. The results speak for themselves. MM is paid to win football matches (like the players) and he isnt.

Why is MM untouchable and Hisnshelwood wasn't?

I will let you in to a little secret...managers come and go. Who is to say that MM wont walk away of his own accord or he may get struck by lightning on the golf course or maybe another club may want him so he leaves like Adams and Coppell, anyway whatever.

So if people want to put forward candidates they can. What amazes me is that people cant see it that if MM was to go, (for whatever reason) we would have lots of applicants which would have at least 3 or 4 geniune decent candidates.

Yes but if people can suggest managers then others can say that they do not agree. Danny Wilson has been very average since Barnsley. He took Sheffield Wednesday down although that was an impossible job. He then failed to get Bristol City promoted in four years whereas McGhee took us up in one with a less talented squad. Finally he saved Milton Keynes against the odds last year and is taking them down this year (same as McGhee with Brighton).

I do not see how anyone can compare that record with Mark McGhee's and then decide we should pay compensation to both MK Dons for Wilson and to Mark McGhee for sacking him. I am sorry if you regard that as being shot down but at least it is a rational argument unlike your stupid wages, stadium :bla:

That is your normal response when anybody makes the shocking suggestion that we might not have a great ground or a lot of money and it might be a factor in our league position.

Also people have to accept that we have never taken another club's manager and we will not start now. That takes out well over half of the sensible suggestions here.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Finchley Seagull said:
Yes but if people can suggest managers then others can say that they do not agree. Danny Wilson has been very average since Barnsley. He took Sheffield Wednesday down although that was an impossible job. He then failed to get Bristol City promoted in four years whereas McGhee took us up in one with a less talented squad. Finally he saved Milton Keynes against the odds last year and is taking them down this year (same as McGhee with Brighton).

Danny Wilson is my preference although Ray & Dean Wilkins has a certain ring to it. I know others will disagree. You obviously didnt read my post where I said that you could point to any managers record and pick holes in it to suit the argument. What I am saying is that there will be other names that have not even been touted who would apply. Who knows they may also be decent candidates. Maybe someone like Gerry Francis for instance may fancy the job. And I am simply using his name as an example that there are people who are not currently employed at the moment who may apply.

I am sorry if you regard that as being shot down but at least it is a rational argument unlike your stupid wages, stadium :bla:
That is your normal response when anybody makes the shocking suggestion that we might not have a great ground or a lot of money and it might be a factor in our league position.
[/QUOTE]

Im not the only one you know. You dont quite understand ARS.

Also people have to accept that we have never taken another club's manager and we will not start now. That takes out well over half of the sensible suggestions here. [/QUOTE]

See earlier with regards to applicants.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Danny Wilson is my preference although Ray & Dean Wilkins has a certain ring to it. I know others will disagree. You obviously didnt read my post where I said that you could point to any managers record and pick holes in it to suit the argument. What I am saying is that there will be other names that have not even been touted who would apply. Who knows they may also be decent candidates. Maybe someone like Gerry Francis for instance may fancy the job. And I am simply using his name as an example that there are people who are not currently employed at the moment who may apply.

I am sorry if you regard that as being shot down but at least it is a rational argument unlike your stupid wages, stadium :bla:

Also people have to accept that we have never taken another club's manager and we will not start now. That takes out well over half of the sensible suggestions here. [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A manager's record is what we have to go on and Wilson is likely to fail to keep MK Dons up in a similar situation as us in the league below. Ex player or not, I would not want him as manager.

As for ARS, it is a joke setup by Ernest. Yet you people seem to have started to take it seriously and point to it as an example of supporter unrest. I think you will find that Mark McGhee will not be sacked and I do not believe there is an out of work manager who can do better under these circumstances. As you say I cannot prove that but people forget how difficult the job is. Some people seem to think that we should be mid table but that is unrealistic. I thought we were likely to struggle at the start of the season and we have.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Finchley Seagull said:

Also people have to accept that we have never taken another club's manager and we will not start now. That takes out well over half of the sensible suggestions here.

[/QUOTE]

A manager's record is what we have to go on and Wilson is likely to fail to keep MK Dons up in a similar situation as us in the league below. Ex player or not, I would not want him as manager.

As for ARS, it is a joke setup by Ernest. Yet you people seem to have started to take it seriously and point to it as an example of supporter unrest. I think you will find that Mark McGhee will not be sacked and I do not believe there is an out of work manager who can do better under these circumstances. As you say I cannot prove that but people forget how difficult the job is. Some people seem to think that we should be mid table but that is unrealistic. I thought we were likely to struggle at the start of the season and we have. [/B][/QUOTE]

ARS is a bit of gallows humour yes. As for Danny Wilson he is my preference others will have a different view.

However lets be clear. MM may decide to walk away or even be snapped up by another club. As he is so great (apparantly) at managing with limited resources whats to say someone like Sunderland (with huge debt but nice stadium) may not come in for him?

Putting forward managerial candidates is therefore no bad thing. It shows that there is life after Magoo.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Woodchip said:
Why has no-one mentioned Bob Booker? He knows the team, he knows the staff. He might be able to do a job until the end of the season. Just look at Leicester.

Thats the exact reasons why we should not employ him!

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
I think we should sign Mick McCarthy until the end of 2007 season and that way he would keep us up this year and get us promoted to the premiership as champions next year - leaving the way open for a new manger to then take over and keep us in the Premiership thereafter.

And there would be no compo payable seeing as he is now unemployed

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
George Graham.
Peter Reid.
Kenny Dalglish.
Trevor Francis.
Ian Holloway.

Any one of them and I'm a happy Albionite :)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ice Man said:
George Graham.
Peter Reid.
Kenny Dalglish.
Trevor Francis.
Ian Holloway.

Any one of them and I'm a happy Albionite :)

It is hard to tell if you are serious or not. The first four would almost make me give up next season as a lost cause. Holloway is the only one that is anywhere near acceptable and I would not sack McGhee for him.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What a great idea for a thread.

I was one of those 'idiots' before I read this thread and had assumed that all managers would find the financial constraints at the Albion difficult to work under.

However, after reading the seemingly endless list of perfect candidates suppiled by those of you in the know I am now confident we should sack McGhee straight away.

As for the replacement, why bother with a lengthy and costly interview process when we all know that anyone mentioned in this thread could do a better job. Let's just draw one of the names above out of a hat.

I'm so glad we've got so many clued up supporters at the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here