Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd to mark Munich Air crash by 1958 style kit numbered 1 to 11

On the sixth of February 2008 it is 50 years since the Munich Air Disaster which killed eight members of the famed Manchester United team the Busby Babes on their way home from a match against Red Star Belgrade in 1958. The club’s closest match to that day is the fixture against Manchester City on February 10th at Old Trafford.

Busby Babes 50’s Kit
To mark the occasion, United will wear a special kit, which will be free from sponsorship and numbered traditionally 1 to 11. This 1950s style Busby Babe’s kit will be a one-off and will not be available for purchase of fans.

United had to obtain special permission from the Premier League and the club’s sponsors Nike and AIG to wear the plain red jerseys and baggy shorts for the match.

Those looking for a similar shirt to wear themselves should look at the retro 1958 FA Cup final shirt made by TOFFS to commemorate the clubs FA Cup final appearance against Bolton that year.

Does anyone know the last time a team played in the Premier League wearing numbers 1 though 11 ?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Unless a manager picked all the players with squad numbers 1-11, it would be May 1993, as squad numbers were introduced for the 1993-94 season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
why does the cynic in me suspect a massive marketing ploy by the corporate machine that is ManUre?

Fans can still buy the shirts from TOFFS and probably will. Wonder what ManUre's cut is?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The cynic in me would think pretty much the same, however the other side of me thinks that this is a pretty fitting tribute to those who lost their lives, it might serve to remind some of those plying their trade today how privelaged they are in comparison to the players of 50 years ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Much as United are a long long long way down my list of favourite teams, they have every right to mark the day fittingly. It is a day to show respect - I hope the City fans behave themselves.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Those looking for a similar shirt to wear themselves should look at the retro 1958 FA Cup final shirt made by TOFFS to commemorate the clubs FA Cup final appearance against Bolton that year.

This is the part of the press release that (regrettably) makes me cynical. Why did they have to put that in? They're wearing the shirts as a tribute, fair enough, and no doubt some people might decide to buy one in due course. But the way it's been worded suggests that it's a clear attempt to put the idea in people's minds, a crafty little reminder to shell out another £45 towards the Man United cause, if you will.

Let's just say I'm quietly confident that the relevant Toffs shirt will already be on sale in the United SuperMegaUltraGoogolStore.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or on 11.02.08:-

"Due to massive popular demand, Utd have conceded to make the 'historic' shirt available to all, by way of respect to The Busby Babes".

Kerching

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The cynic in me would think pretty much the same, however the other side of me thinks that this is a pretty fitting tribute to those who lost their lives, it might serve to remind some of those plying their trade today how privelaged they are in comparison to the players of 50 years ago.

There's still a stopped clock with the date and the time of the crash outside Old Trafford (at least there was abour five years ago when I last went there).

Not sure why they're announcing it now, though. Simply to run out in the kit on the day, with an explanatory note in the programme, might be enough, eh?

Ah no, it's nearly Christmas time. It's a bit sick.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Shock horror a football club wants to make money.
Of course there is the anniversary as well but what is sick about it?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Manchester United's last reported annual profits were £46m. Do they really need to flog a few shirts off the back of the grimmest anniversary in club history?

Can't see Liverpool doing it on 15th April 2009.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sorry Yorkie but I have to do this.... :thud:

Why? People may want to buy the shirt. It isn't compulsory but I would imagine that some would.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Manchester United's last reported annual profits were £46m. Do they really need to flog a few shirts off the back of the grimmest anniversary in club history?

Can't see Liverpool doing it on 15th April 2009.

Liverpool aren't such low lives as Man Ure though. The Man Ure board (glaziers etc) dont care any more about the Munich air crash than I do. It's all about the money.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
What they should do is auction of the 11 shirts (and the 5 subs) and donate the money to charity, would be some great PR work.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why? People may want to buy the shirt. It isn't compulsory but I would imagine that some would.

Ok. I'll spell it out. ManU more than any other club on this planet are ruining football for ordinary fans. They forego tradition in favour of money spinning ventures, invented the idea of a club as a corporate memorabilia franchise. The pressure on parents to buy their kiddies the strips that seem to come out almost bi-seasonally.

and now they are making money from the deaths of their own former stars.

They are a cancer on our game. I hope and pray the Glaziers f*** up royally.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Parents should learn to say no. I had to mainly because I couldn't afford what my kids pestered me for.

I wouldn't want to see any football club get into problems no matter who they are.

It's not just Man Utd who are on this 'gravy train'

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
United have said that the shirts used in the match will then be given to relatives of the players who died in the air crash. David Gill is a pretty decent bloke, and is determined to keep his word on this. I think for once the memory of the event will transcend the money making machine that is United. That one event helped generate United the fan base that they have today, as it brought together many casual fans who thereafter became United fans.

City are also taking steps to commemorate the match. City fans should also remember that Frank Swift (ex-City keeper) also died on that flight.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No disrespect at all to those who lost their lives, but it is right and fitting that Manchester United properly celebrate the only reason why they have ever been perceived to be a 'big' club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here