Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd to mark Munich Air crash by 1958 style kit numbered 1 to 11

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No disrespect at all to those who lost their lives, but it is right and fitting that Manchester United properly celebrate the only reason why they have ever been perceived to be a 'big' club.

Is that perception not more down to their huge stadium, enormous worldwide fan-base and their many league, cup and European Cup triumphs???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it is a very fitting tribute to the sad loss of life and such a tragic event that also shaped the club.

Well done to MUFC.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Is that perception not more down to their huge stadium, enormous worldwide fan-base and their many league, cup and European Cup triumphs???

That's only been managed to be built off the back of the plane crash, as the club was then catapaulted into the spotlight.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Much as United are a long long long way down my list of favourite teams, they have every right to mark the day fittingly. It is a day to show respect - I hope the City fans behave themselves.

You would have thought so because apart from anything else Frank Swift, City goalkeeping legend of the thirties and forties was also killed at Munich. He was a reporter.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The only reason people try to find fault in this is JEALOUSY. Let's face it, everyone wishes their club was as successful as United. I wish I was a United fan. Trying to find fault in everything they do is a bit pathetic really - as if they need the money from a few shirt sales!!

Not strictly true. Most people don't resent the team but instead their army of armchair fans and glory hunters who have never been closer to Old Trafford that Watford Gap. I bet most people have worked with a 'United Fan' who has never actually seen them play in the flesh.

Just to take it to real extremes a few years ago I worked with a bloke (from Hampshire) for was a STH with the Saints. He never watched them except against United as he was a Reds fan ! No doubt he doesn't have a ticket now.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No disrespect at all to those who lost their lives, but it is right and fitting that Manchester United properly celebrate the only reason why they have ever been perceived to be a 'big' club.

That's only been managed to be built off the back of the plane crash, as the club was then catapaulted into the spotlight.

No disrespect, but I have read some utter utter bollocks on NSC before, but I'm really lost for words!

Man Utd
'big club'

:jester:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I think they should sell those shirts but only if 100% of the profit goes to charities. They obviously don't want to be seen to be making any money out of this but I know if I was a United fan i'd want one of those shirts and it's a very easy way to give a lot to good causes

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The only reason people try to find fault in this is JEALOUSY. Let's face it, everyone wishes their club was as successful as United. I wish I was a United fan. Trying to find fault in everything they do is a bit pathetic really - as if they need the money from a few shirt sales!!

I totally agree. As soon as I heard the announcement about the shirts I just KNEW there would be numerous comments on here from those who permanently wear the 'I hate Mau U' goggles. These people are so desperate to criticise at every opportunity and are delighted to be able to do so no matter how flimsy the basis for the criticism. Objective comment? Never! You are so childish and very BORING!

Munich justifiably created much sympathy for the club (as such an event would for any club) but had little or nothing to do with the success they have had in the last few years.

If Albion were in a similar position aned were bringing out commemorative shirts, no one would complain.

There are a few things I would criticise Man U for, and the manager, but overall they have been enormously successful because they have a top manager, they have consistently played very attractive football for many years and they are a very well run business. Would you not want that for the Albion?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think the real issue here is how the hell are the superstars of Man Utd expected to perform in a non-lightweight kit, that doesn't include the modern design triumphs of inbuilt air conditioning and cut to give added aero dynamicity?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ok. I'll spell it out. ManU more than any other club on this planet are ruining football for ordinary fans. They forego tradition in favour of money spinning ventures, invented the idea of a club as a corporate memorabilia franchise. The pressure on parents to buy their kiddies the strips that seem to come out almost bi-seasonally.

and now they are making money from the deaths of their own former stars.

They are a cancer on our game. I hope and pray the Glaziers f*** up royally.
Bollocks. Yorkie is absolutely right. Who the f*** is making anybody actually BUY these shirts? And how is it any different to our very own "centenary" shirt which saw hoards of Albion MUGS go and buy almost exactly the same the kits but with a different badge.

It comes down to people excercising a bit of self control rather than just blaming the PLC for another money making venture. This wouldn't even have made it as a NSC thread if it had been any other club, IMO. You wait, when Preston produce a kit to mark Tom Finney's death or whatever, noone on here will bat an eyelid.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
city are wearing a special shirt aswell, with black bits on it, saw it in the MEN.

I saw that too - a fitting tribute I think. After all, City lost a goalkeeper in the accident.

I think this is a nice touch from both clubs.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bollocks. Yorkie is absolutely right. Who the f*** is making anybody actually BUY these shirts? And how is it any different to our very own "centenary" shirt which saw hoards of Albion MUGS go and buy almost exactly the same the kits but with a different badge.

It comes down to people excercising a bit of self control rather than just blaming the PLC for another money making venture. This wouldn't even have made it as a NSC thread if it had been any other club, IMO. You wait, when Preston produce a kit to mark Tom Finney's death or whatever, noone on here will bat an eyelid.

Bugger me. Who rattled your cage? Only a few weeks ago you were moaning about the FA Cup being debased by clubs going on money making ventures instead of taking part. Which club was that then? Or is it all different when you criticise ManUre for putting money above English footie?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Won't really make any difference to the squad numbers really as most of who will play will be 1-11 anyway

1 van der Sar
2 Neville
3 Evra
4 Hargreaves
5 Ferdinand
7 Ronaldo
8 Anderson
10 Rooney
11 Giggs

It'll only be number 6 and number 9 probably so just a money making scheme.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bugger me. Who rattled your cage? Only a few weeks ago you were moaning about the FA Cup being debased by clubs going on money making ventures instead of taking part. Which club was that then? Or is it all different when you criticise ManUre for putting money above English footie?
:D

I just think you're wrong, my good man. All teams release crappy new kits from time to time - this just gets bad press on here because it's Manchester United.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No disrespect, but I have read some utter utter bollocks on NSC before, but I'm really lost for words!

Man Utd
'big club'

:jester:

Actually, I sort of agree with Common as Mook here, even though he is saying it in an overly-simplistic, repugnant kind of manner.

A had a work colleague from Manchester (a Manchester City fan nowadays), who as a lad and a teenager used to go to watch City AND United, because that was what you did then. He told me that, after the Munich air crash in February 1958, it soon became apparent that many people who had either split loyalties or no loyalties started gravitating towards Manchester United, mainly through grief and sympathy.

Both clubs were fairly big at the time (Manchester City were arguably bigger, and had a slightly more illustrious history to that point), but, while not exactly deserting Man City, it was evident that Man Utd - largely thanks to Matt Busby - were a club on the rise and rise, overtaking City, with people's loyalties turning - and staying - with Man U.

In that sense, the Munich Air Crash was definitely a Red Letter Day for Manchester United.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Actually, I sort of agree with Common as Mook here, even though he is saying it in an overly-simplistic, repugnant kind of manner.

A had a work colleague from Manchester (a Manchester City fan nowadays), who as a lad and a teenager used to go to watch City AND United, because that was what you did then. He told me that, after the Munich air crash in February 1958, it soon became apparent that many people who had either split loyalties or no loyalties started gravitating towards Manchester United, mainly through grief and sympathy.

Both clubs were fairly big at the time (Manchester City were arguably bigger, and had a slightly more illustrious history to that point), but, while not exactly deserting Man City, it was evident that Man Utd - largely thanks to Matt Busby - were a club on the rise and rise, overtaking City, with people's loyalties turning - and staying - with Man U.

In that sense, the Munich Air Crash was definitely a Red Letter Day for Manchester United.

If I had the time to write lengthy, in-depth replies I would. Overy simplistic - yes. repugnant - no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here