Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd to mark Munich Air crash by 1958 style kit numbered 1 to 11

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Actually, I sort of agree with Common as Mook here, even though he is saying it in an overly-simplistic, repugnant kind of manner.

A had a work colleague from Manchester (a Manchester City fan nowadays), who as a lad and a teenager used to go to watch City AND United, because that was what you did then. He told me that, after the Munich air crash in February 1958, it soon became apparent that many people who had either split loyalties or no loyalties started gravitating towards Manchester United, mainly through grief and sympathy.

Both clubs were fairly big at the time (Manchester City were arguably bigger, and had a slightly more illustrious history to that point), but, while not exactly deserting Man City, it was evident that Man Utd - largely thanks to Matt Busby - were a club on the rise and rise, overtaking City, with people's loyalties turning - and staying - with Man U.

In that sense, the Munich Air Crash was definitely a Red Letter Day for Manchester United.

In Manchester yeah, due to unexpectedly getting to the fa cup final I guess

I understand United werent really massive outside Manchester though until later in the 60s and that was cos of their success on the pitch (and success in Europe), not directly because of Munich. I'm sure it wasnt what made them a 'big club'

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
MUTV will be free to air 6th February (as on Kent's link)

I shall watch it. I remember the horror felt by most people when this crash happened.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Much as United are a long long long way down my list of favourite teams, they have every right to mark the day fittingly. It is a day to show respect - I hope the City fans behave themselves.

and part of me just doesn't think they will - but who are United to blame , they are just as bad at not respecting tragedies (that is if City fans DON'T behave that is , i personally think they will but every club gets its idiot groups.)

as for the kit thing - well thats part and parcel of football , who are we to judge with the one off '97 style kit , the one off kit vs Palace..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In Manchester yeah, due to unexpectedly getting to the fa cup final I guess

I understand United werent really massive outside Manchester though until later in the 60s and that was cos of their success on the pitch (and success in Europe), not directly because of Munich. I'm sure it wasnt what made them a 'big club'

They didn't have 'big clubs' in the obscene money-grabbing way that they do now.

Back then, the top clubs at the time were Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Burnley, with Bolton Wanderers, Aston Villa, Fulham, Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers there or thereabouts. People weren't so transient with their clubs - they went to support their local team.

It's only really the advent of TV, showing winning teams and making stars of the heroes that brought about so-called 'glory-hunters' into the game, turning 'top clubs' into 'big clubs'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here