Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making NSC non-shit

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brovian said:
Disagree. If it was 'just' a sports club in the way the Tesco is just a shop then it wouldn't be important. But it's more than just a means to allow some men to earn a lot of money for kicking a ball around a bit of grass, it's a focal point of our community.

Dandyman and Clown of Pevvers have it right.

I am always interested to see that phrase used.

"Focal point of our community"

There are 250k+ people in the connurbation of Brighton and Hove and we average 6k at Withdean, and maybe 15k at Falmer.

6k is 2.4% of the population

15K is 6% of the population

the 250k does not include Crawley/Lewes/Worthing/ etc etc.

hardly a focal point is it

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Stumpy Tim said:
A monthly bare-fisted fight between the two most annoying posters of that month. Mandatory.

Within a year LI will be hard as nails I reckon

Why is it a given that LI is annoying. Am I the only one who fails to come to the same conclusion?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yes

you tart

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I would suggest having more threads along the lines of:

'How do I get a train to (insert name of venue of next away game) - I could look at Trainline / ring rail enquiries, but then people wouldnt think that Im intending to go to the game.

or

'What time the ticket office / club shop open / shut - I could ring the club / look at a website / look in the programme but then you wouldnt all know that I was thinking of contacting the club. Not that I am of course'

or

'How many do you we think we will take to (insert name of venue of next away game) - not that it matters to me as I wont be going, I will be posting on here at 1510 on saturday asking what the score is because if I listened to the radio no one else would know, but you all will think that Im actually going to go to a match'.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Those threads are great and are what the internet was invented for.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Perry Milkins said:
Why is it a given that LI is annoying. Am I the only one who fails to come to the same conclusion?

No you are not alone.

But it might be Foghorn Leghorn thing you copycat.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dies Irae said:
I am always interested to see that phrase used.

"Focal point of our community"

There are 250k+ people in the connurbation of Brighton and Hove and we average 6k at Withdean, and maybe 15k at Falmer.

6k is 2.4% of the population

15K is 6% of the population

the 250k does not include Crawley/Lewes/Worthing/ etc etc.

hardly a focal point is it
That is a load of simplistic bollocks Dave and I'm sure you know it you mischievious scamp you. There are lots of people (my wife and my mum being two) who never go to games but care about the club. Plus whenever the club rises above the humdrum more than the regular fans take an interest (play-off final for example) and the fortunes of the club get discussed by old ladies in bus queues. Brighton and Hove Albion football club is a major part of the heartbeat of our community and in an age where people's idea of entertainment is to sit in their velvet-lined cells with their computers, ipods and digital TVs it provides a welcome chance for physical interaction with other people.

So, yes, a focal point of the community (not THE focal point, I'm. sure there are others although none with the same reach).

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Perry Milkins said:

No, you're not. He's one of the site's best and most interesting posters.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its an interesting point.

When I was out in Hove giving out leaflets at the local election for the referendum on Falmer, whilst people were "interested" to read about our plight, the vast majority I spoke to were not in the slightest bit interested in the football team.

I think we all believe that football is the be and end all to everyone, when there are many people who worry more about their kids getting to the right school, their bins being emptied and being able to park their car outside their house/flat.

Our City has a vast split of people from a huge student population, arty farty people in hanover area and a large pensioner population in Hove. These people on the whole have no interest in Brighton and Hove Albion......hence the standard of letters that are anti Falmer even when we think the case for Falmer has been proved.

....also what really surprised me was when getting the train to albion games in london, the amount of people who support London clubs who live in the area ( a load of Arsenal fans on the train coming back from our game at Millwall were oblivious to our league position and they all got off at Brighton)

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dies Irae said:

I think we all believe that football is the be and end all to ( a load of Arsenal fans on the train coming back from our game at Millwall were oblivious to our league position and they all got off at Brighton)

Funny that I am entirely oblivious to the fortunes of all the Premiership teams.

DJ Leon said:
No, you're not. He's one of the site's best and most interesting posters.

Agree 100%. Don't really get why people are so anti-LI, the board would be a much poorer place without him.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Bozza said:
Is NSC shit, or shitter than it once was?

Regardless - how do we make it better than it currently is?

There seems to be a lot of bickering and sniping etc that pisses people off. We can put a stop to that by yellow carding (which restricts rights on the board) and/or banning (for cooling off periods) - but often this sort of action generates more trouble than existed in the first place.

We could split the board out into something like:

The Albion
Football
Other Sport
Everything else

(although various polls over the years have shown this not be a preferred action)

What else could we do - open to suggestions as it is the users that make (or break) any messageboard...

Leave it alone. Stop trying to run the f***ing world. Stop being paranoid about the Muslims...............

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
More good geopolitical analysis, Twatty.

Oh, and congrats on your shower getting promoted. Did you go to the players' bash at the Dorchester last night?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
Agree 100%. Don't really get why people are so anti-LI, the board would be a much poorer place without him.

Because of his excellent putdowns, probably ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Instead of the post count why not keep count of 100+ threads each person has started?

This would be far more representative of each persons "worth" than a post count, and might encourage more imaginative debate.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lokki 7 said:

Totally agree. He can be annoying, condescending and often has his head in the clouds. I LIKE that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Condescending Harveys? You sometimes make some good points and can occasionally be humorous but that last observations is plain rubbish.

;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here