Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, just shared this with my air quality colleagues.

The original paper is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720321215

I haven't read and digested it properly yet but the most polluted places are generally the most densely populated so it may not be causal?

Didnt read it either but I'm thinking maybe there is a few regions with pretty light population density but with a lot of industry that would be up there?

Guess the easy way to find out would be to read it but I'm quite busy sunbathing in my French balcony...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
More individual people tested, less positive results. More positive news.

20B2CE4A-2C43-435C-9AD6-11077B614EA4.jpeg

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Spain have recorded 4000 new cases, which ponders me the question, how are this many people still being infected around 5 weeks (35 days) after they imposed very strict lockdown rules?

They think the incubation period is between 7-10 days most commonly and up to 21 days rarely, they are 2 weeks outside this window yet are still averaging 4000 new cases. Similar story in other countries as well. I would guess many of those are key workers but it still seems high considering the measures in place.

This is from El Pais the Spanish newspaper

There were 4,266 new cases on Monday, the lowest daily rise since March 17.

Speaking at the government’s daily press conference on Monday, Fernando Simón, the director of the Health Ministry’s Coordination Center for Health Alerts, said that the figures on the number of hospitalizations and intensive care admissions were “very promising.”

“Today is the first time we have fallen below 400 [daily fatalities], with a 2% increase compared to yesterday,” he added.

Simón also explained that Spain had significantly increased PCR testing, which is the most reliable detector of the coronavirus. “We have gone from 200,000 [tests] to 700,000 [in a week]. We are doing nearly four times as many PCR tests, but the infection rate is falling a lot, even more than what we thought.” In the first week of testing, 26.8% of those tested were found to be positive for Covid-19, compared to 3.1% last week, which indicates the outbreak is slowing, said Simón.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
1653 of the 4676 new cases are key workers or family members so only 3000 general public cases

View attachment 122497

The debt owed to those key workers is just incomprehensible.

There has to be a fundamental change as to how they are treated in modern life. They did not take up those jobs expecting to be essentially putting their lives on the line.

I’m not keen on the comparisons to war, but I sincerely hope that the response is not similar to how soldiers were treated upon returning from wars. “Here’s a medal and a big thank you, now can you just go back into society as it was before? Cheers.”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
WHO fella is saying that from initial antibody tests, only 2-3% have had it so far even in the worst regions...

Luckily they've said a lot of questionable scaremongering shit the last months so I hope this is the case this time as well, or the disaster is about ten times worse than our biggest fears..

So all in all we seem to have the virus under control now with daily figures dropping.....the next phase will obviously keeping it under control which I would expect to be the return to work for most but under strict social distancing and if need be wearing a mask. Whether this is doable for the majority I don't know but hopefully it will be

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
WHO fella is saying that from initial antibody tests, only 2-3% have had it so far even in the worst regions...

Luckily they've said a lot of questionable scaremongering shit the last months so I hope this is the case this time as well, or the disaster is about ten times worse than our biggest fears..

I wouldn't put too much weight on their comments when it's become increasingly clear there aren't viable antibody tests yet

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Crude oil has now dropped below $2 a barrel, in part due to a massively lowered demand due to the crisis

[TWEET]1252289409837400068[/TWEET]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 19.19.52.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Crude oil has now dropped below $2 a barrel, in part due to a massively lowered demand due to the crisis

[TWEET]1252289409837400068[/TWEET]

Scratch that...

[TWEET]1252300140515336193[/TWEET]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It is interesting to see how fragmented the USA appears in this crisis. One thing Trump stated last night which is true, was that in all other fights in recent history, there has been someone physical to fight with, and with the exception of the civil war (and Pearl Harbour), all elsewhere. Without wishing to become embroiled in politics, it strikes me that if the USA which has been around for a few hundred years, shares a common language and mostly cultural similarities between states, is struggling so much, how difficult the task is for the Europeans who want a more unified European Union.
Most Europeans aren't ****ing mental like Americans

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scratch that...

[TWEET]1252300140515336193[/TWEET]

Glad I didn't fill up today, will hang on and hope for my first sub £1 litre for a good few years !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That is exactly what the Oxford Dr who is heading the team for the much lauded vaccine (can't remember her name) said. She also said it was thought that although the virus is mutating, it mutates at a much slower rate than flu and that is why they are hoping one vaccine for use over the years should be sufficient.

I also think that this virus isn't mutating, in no small part because it doesn't need to

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

WTI went -$40 (minus forty) at one point and now sits at -$20. this is the futures contract for May deliver that expires tomorrow, the price of oil will bounce back to ~$21 for June. so no being paid to fill up with petrol tomorrow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I also think that this virus isn't mutating, in no small part because it doesn't need to
That's not quite how it works. Viruses don't mutate because of need, they just mutate randomly because that's how biology works. Sometimes the mutations go on to replicate a lot, sometimes they don't. But they don't not bother simply because an existing strain is spreading a lot. They don't know that's what's happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here