Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Very good question. Essential workers will cover some of these infections as you have already said.

My guess is that there is possibly a 42 day maximum window between person 1 being infected to person 2 being tested. So, person 1 was infected on the day before lockdown, they passed the infection to person 2 after 21 days then that person was tested 21 days later.

Yeah I don’t know if Spain publish their key worker/public stats separately like we do, I did have a quick search but couldn’t find anything, we have the orange bit on this bar to show us key workers/family members infected. C3758B34-8B44-49DA-A7BD-1A992174AF52.png

So I guess at least here we will be able to see how the virus is transmitting in the community separately, we’ve been in lockdown for 28 days today so you would expect the numbers to start coming down, even with testing numbers going up.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I can't remember - and I learnt this 20 years ago, and things move on - but I think if you have fought it off once, then you will do so again, unless your immune system goes wrong in the interval, or the virus changes too much.

Another thing I remember is that even if a virus mutates, then a vaccine against an older virus type may still help to some extent.

I need to read up on all this again, it's not actually difficult stuff at an overview level.

That is exactly what the Oxford Dr who is heading the team for the much lauded vaccine (can't remember her name) said. She also said it was thought that although the virus is mutating, it mutates at a much slower rate than flu and that is why they are hoping one vaccine for use over the years should be sufficient.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yeah I don’t know if Spain publish their key worker/public stats separately like we do, I did have a quick search but couldn’t find anything, we have the orange bit on this bar to show us key workers/family members infected.View attachment 122478

So I guess at least here we will be able to see how the virus is transmitting in the community separately, we’ve been in lockdown for 28 days today so you would expect the numbers to start coming down, even with testing numbers going up.

The news site that I use in Tenerife is showing that 25% of all cases are front line medical staff ... I had to do a double take on that, horrific if correct but consistent with what you are showing above (if I've read correctly)

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Do figures just released in Scotland mean that people in intensive care has reduced by 7 however 12 died yesterday so does that mean in effect that there is another 5 more cases in intensive care?

Or some have been released from intensive care and are recovering?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
429 England
12 Scotland
9 Wales
NI ?

Looks like under 500, compared to last Mondays total of 717 it’s a good sign, RIP to all those lost.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed the death rate is looking much better but RIP to every single 1 of them at a desperate time

Of course. It’s a horrible time. We’re each of us looking for crumbs of comfort and signs that things might improve.

Keep going everyone.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Daily update from Sweden... Numbers are fine though not all deaths from the weekend are reported yet but its likely to be 40-60 dead just like its been the last three weeks. Same with intensive care numbers, about 50 new and 40 who went home.

State epidemiologist says "herd immunity" is possibly reached in Stockholm by mid-May but that likely not enough people will be infected in the rest of the country. Also says there's warning signs that a lot of people went out to restaurants and bars this weekend and that these businesses need to be better at following the rules or Uncle Police will come and pull them in the air.

All in all, positive news just like it seems to be in most of Europe currently.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Disney have stopped paying non working staff

Ouch.

I think Disney could be in a lot of trouble. No money from cinema releases; no money from theme parks; no money from cruises; just commissioned two new cruise liners; borrowed a fortune to buy Fox; Disney + running at a loss...

Losing $30m a day, apparently.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think Disney could be in a lot of trouble. No money from cinema releases; no money from theme parks; no money from cruises; just commissioned two new cruise liners; borrowed a fortune to buy Fox; Disney + running at a loss...

Losing $30m a day, apparently.

All plays into Trumps hands

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Protesting the lockdown he’s implemented?

The States are the only ones that can lift them, but yes... those ones ha!

More to this as well, behind the scenes these parks will be pushing for the country to be opened as well.

At the moment they are having to refund, if its open and you choose not to travel that is on you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is interesting to see how fragmented the USA appears in this crisis. One thing Trump stated last night which is true, was that in all other fights in recent history, there has been someone physical to fight with, and with the exception of the civil war (and Pearl Harbour), all elsewhere. Without wishing to become embroiled in politics, it strikes me that if the USA which has been around for a few hundred years, shares a common language and mostly cultural similarities between states, is struggling so much, how difficult the task is for the Europeans who want a more unified European Union.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is interesting to see how fragmented the USA appears in this crisis. One thing Trump stated last night which is true, was that in all other fights in recent history, there has been someone physical to fight with, and with the exception of the civil war (and Pearl Harbour), all elsewhere. Without wishing to become embroiled in politics, it strikes me that if the USA which has been around for a few hundred years, shares a common language and mostly cultural similarities between states, is struggling so much, how difficult the task is for the Europeans who want a more unified European Union.

Yeah, regardless if you are pro-EU or anti-EU or want a global government or whatever, this virus is a backlash. The attitude "we dont need to be able to produce medicins, equipment or food in our country because our slaves in Asia and Africa/or European brothers can always do it" is going to be put on hold for quite a while.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah, regardless if you are pro-EU or anti-EU or want a global government or whatever, this virus is a backlash. The attitude "we dont need to be able to produce medicins, equipment or food in our country because our slaves in Asia and Africa/or European brothers can always do it" is going to be put on hold for quite a while.

Undoubtedly this will hit globalisation. You are right.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...y-be-key-contributor-to-covid-19-deaths-study

"Research shows almost 80% of deaths across four countries were in most polluted regions"

Yes, just shared this with my air quality colleagues.

The original paper is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720321215

I haven't read and digested it properly yet but the most polluted places are generally the most densely populated so it may not be causal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here