Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Imperial College suggesting at current infection trajectory (similar to China’s) UK could top out at 5,700 deaths, with the peak being 260 deaths on 5th April. This isn’t a prediction, more a suggestion from what we know so far as to how it could pan out.

We certainly appear to be on a lower trajectory than Italy or Spain, which can only be good news.

................unless you are Spanish or Italian (but I get your meaning).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unbelievable. :(

All the reasons why our medical people like Professor Whitty are providing exceptional guidance and caution to ensure mistakes are not made and when we do purchase the equipment to try and resolve this Pandemic it is the right equipment that works.

And time to turn off the TV - bloody Homes Under the Hammer

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Imperial College suggesting at current infection trajectory (similar to China’s) UK could top out at 5,700 deaths, with the peak being 260 deaths on 5th April. This isn’t a prediction, more a suggestion from what we know so far as to how it could pan out.

We certainly appear to be on a lower trajectory than Italy or Spain, which can only be good news.
If this is correct, I'd love to know why we're on a lower trajectory - have we done anything different, or is it just down to cultural/demographic differences?

I suspect we won't find out for a while. There's going to be tonnes of interesting research to come out of this in the next 5-10 years in a range of fields - not just virology/epidemiology, but also economics, climate science etc

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If this is correct, I'd love to know why we're on a lower trajectory - have we done anything different, or is it just down to cultural/demographic differences?

I suspect we won't find out for a while. There's going to be tonnes of interesting research to come out of this in the next 5-10 years in a range of fields - not just virology/epidemiology, but also economics, climate science etc

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

One potential way that I read it is that we locked down/started social distancing at the point when it looked (based on less data) like we were following Italy and Spain - it has since been borne out (and we will learn more as to how true this is every day) - that we appear to be on a lower trajectory, so have almost locked down a bit “early” compared to some other countries.

This should buy us time and hopefully help us stay on top of the number of ICU cases as much as possible.

Some of Italy’s horrible numbers in the last week may be in large part due to the massive breach of ICU capacity over there, added to demographics, climate and culture.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Boris has the virus now!

I said this a couple of weeks ago, but the sheer number of ‘celebrities’ who seem to be getting this suggests that it is already far more rife in the general population than we imagined. Hopefully that gives some hope of there being a degree of truth in the FT article the other day that suggested many of us now may be immune, which would surely allow us to return to some kind of normality sooner than we had hoped.

Fingers crossed, anyway.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Caught it off his dad who insisted on going down the pub ?

Zing!

Could also have been:

“I’m shaking hands,” Johnson said when asked how he planned to handle visiting dignitaries.

“I was at a hospital the other night where I think a few there were actually coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know, and I continue to shake hands.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-will-not-stop-me-shaking-hands-idUSKBN20Q1IO

The bleedin' pillock.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
That London doctors have had to set up a Crowdfunding Masks for NHS Heroes to privately buy PPE is beyond belief.....I do hope its 100% genuine as I have contributed

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Have you got a link? Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here