Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Why suddenly change the period of the cases that are reported on? won't that skew all the data that has come before?

Are we now reporting the number of cases per day the same way as the rest of europe or a different way? making comparisons pointless.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
USA now has the most corona cases on planet earth as it passes China, an increase of 14,000 today to 83,000

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
100 cases to 83000 in 3 weeks, crikey. If this goes horribly in America it could be the end of trump, given his what seems to be total delusion about Coronavirus.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Quite surreal to see a country other than China at the top of the list here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Italy will follow tomorrow. Many others too. Maybe, probably, the UK in the not too distant future. Sobering times, if I wasn’t as pissed as a fart.

Scanning down that list at the cases per 1m population, Switzerland looks pretty shocking though obviously it's a far smaller population

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Scanning down that list at the cases per 1m population, Switzerland looks pretty shocking though obviously it's a far smaller population

I don’t know this for fact, but Switzerland is one of if not the wealthiest country in the world. I suspect their high case rate may be due to doing a better job of testing. To illustrate that point, they’ve had more cases than the UK but a fraction of the deaths.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don’t know this for fact, but Switzerland is one of if not the wealthiest country in the world. I suspect their high case rate may be due to doing a better job of testing. To illustrate that point, they’ve had more cases than the UK but a fraction of the deaths.

Indeed. Definitely makes you wonder how many people have actually had it here.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I feel for you and my family members living there in a densely populated country.
In WA out of the 2000 people tested only 231 have been found positive and there have only been 2 deaths and those were attributed to people coming in from abroad.
I thankfully think we are probably in a good position to see this out over here, now that the borders are now closed even for interstate travel.
It hasn't stopped the profiteering ******** who own the supermarkets from cashing in, the prices there are ridiculously high, going up by 100% in some cases.
$12 for a cauliflower which is grown here, that is about 6 pounds in your money and $2.50 for a small tin of beans, or 1 pound and 25 pence.
Over 2 million losing jobs and now they can't afford to go to the shops, the government warned the shops not to do this, but as usual they take not a blind bit of notice.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
100 cases to 83000 in 3 weeks, crikey. If this goes horribly in America it could be the end of trump, given his what seems to be total delusion about Coronavirus.
I watched him yesterday say he wants all the churches full on Easter Sunday as it's his favourite holiday!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Most incumbent leaders' ratings have improved during the crisis, especially South Korea's, which really is the benchmark case for how to tackle the pandemic (they prepared by buying testing kits in advance, post-SARS and -MARS). I really fear for the US. There is no curve in terms of cases, it's just an accelerating upward trajectory, bordering on the vertical. If that does transpire, I'd doubt it translates into continued popularity for Trump, especially given his predictably bizarre approach to it. On so many levels, Covid-19 spells the end of Trumpism (nationalism, anti-experts, divisiveness, ...)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Imperial College suggesting at current infection trajectory (similar to China’s) UK could top out at 5,700 deaths, with the peak being 260 deaths on 5th April. This isn’t a prediction, more a suggestion from what we know so far as to how it could pan out.

We certainly appear to be on a lower trajectory than Italy or Spain, which can only be good news.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Imperial College suggesting at current infection trajectory (similar to China’s) UK could top out at 5,700 deaths, with the peak being 260 deaths on 5th April. This isn’t a prediction, more a suggestion from what we know so far as to how it could pan out.

We certainly appear to be on a lower trajectory than Italy or Spain, which can only be good news.

I hope you're right. That would put the peak less than two weeks after lockdown though, which seems unlikely?

Though I still think a very large proportion of the country have probably already had it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I think that would feel a fairly positive outcome right now all deaths are regrettable but its here and it is killing people if we can manage it to that kind of level it would be an achievement

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In other news Spain purchased 9,000 testing kits from China which all proved defective

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope you're right. That would put the peak less than two weeks after lockdown though, which seems unlikely?

Though I still think a very large proportion of the country have probably already had it.

Hey, not me being right or wrong - the Imperial College fellas. But yes, here's hoping.

I agree, the peak being just over a week away seems too close, but perhaps it's due to the way our cases haven't exploded like Italy & Spain's did, at the same stage in their trajectory.

Agreed on last point. I would estimate 20-25% already infected - completely unqualified of course, and based on anecdotal + suspected number of asymptomatic.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hey, not me being right or wrong - the Imperial College fellas. But yes, here's hoping.

I agree, the peak being just over a week away seems too close, but perhaps it's due to the way our cases haven't exploded like Italy & Spain's did, at the same stage in their trajectory.

Agreed on last point. I would estimate 20-25% already infected - completely unqualified of course, and based on anecdotal + suspected number of asymptomatic.

My friend in London reckons everyone he knows has had some sort of dry cough over the last few weeks - so who knows. That said I think there's probably still very little of it round here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here