Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am very happy with the lockdown and expected it tonight as so many selfish divs were not doing what was right however hearing the address from BoJo was still a little surreal and made me a little anxious. I have been doing everything he has said for days however it's still scary to hear that it's now a national law.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
**** it, I have a pass that says I'm a key worker, so can go to work, with all its his confusion and the government changing by the minute, I'm going to phone up boss to say I have cough, and going to self isolate myself for the next 14 days of whatever it is now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Still quite vague, really. In theory I could go for a huge walk tomorrow lasting all day. There's no guidance on how far we should be from home and how long for. And it'll obviously be impossible to police the once a day for exercise rule

Problem is we, the royal we, to coin a phrase "want to be treated like adults". The government have done that to a degree but it has failed. That's due to so many needing to be told what to do by threat of laws. Frightening really that so many can't reason with advise.

The advise has been there for all to see and read, digest and act upon. There's so many idiots that have frankly not given one toss about others. I took the view, having read up on the crisis, listened to the advise, to limit my exposure the best I can, not to help me but people like my wife who are at risk.

The new measures will still be flouted by many who think they know best.

Look at it the other way round if when the first indication came from China of an problem (too late as they had not admitted there was an issue until too late) the government immediately put the country under the restraints we are now under, there's no way the idiots would have conformed and stayed indoors. There would have outcry. Sometimes you're damned if you do damned if you don't.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Does anybody actually buy sports gear from here? It's for tacky leisure gear I thought.

It’s valued as a fashion icon in Hastings

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Now that most Western Governments will be spending Millions, Billions or Trillions trying to fix this and thousands more are going to die. I imagine that new protocol for our Country will go as follows.

1. Reports emerge in China (or any other Country that mucks about with animals so intimately) that a new deadly virus is on the loose.
2. Government orders an immediate shut down of all our ports and airports.
3. Brits returning to the Country or anyone else trying to cross our borders face a 14 day quarantine in hotels around airports & ports that the government have commandeered.
4. No internal lockdown unless cases hit x within our shores.
5. Borders re-open once virus is contained abroad.
6. Government saves billions.

This plan is obviously very retrospective based on events since Christmas plus you need to be an Island to do it effectively but it seems like the most effective measure given the damage to our economy and the thousands of deaths we are expecting with Covid-19 being rife within our great lands.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Genuine question I don’t know the answer to and I have very limited medical knowledge so forgive me it if it sounds stupid.

If you have the virus and aren’t aware you do as I understand a lot might, is there any risk to you going running as it is a respiratory illness?

I should stress that I'm not a medic and I'm not qualified to answer your question.

I believe that moderate exercise, such as short runs, has been shown to mobilise white blood cells (t-cells) and is good for the immune system. Also being fit will reduce your likelihood of getting ill more generally.

Anecdotally, I believe that going for a run can help to fend off a developing cold. I would've thought that it would only be a positive thing to do unless you really over do it and are not used to it?

I think the evidence base is still quite thin on the ground though.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/34/4/246

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am very happy with the lockdown and expected it tonight as so many selfish divs were not doing what was right

Very speculative but I the government knew from the beginning that a lot of people wouldnt do the right thing, they just needed time to prepare this "quite" large measure.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The FT specifically says hardware stores will remain open - but I don't know where they got this information from. "Most shops will close with immediate effect, with only “essential” stores such as food outlets, pharmacies, petrol stations, post offices, hardware shops and newsagents allowed to stay open. Banks will also be allowed to keep their doors open." https://www.ft.com/content/cad58520-6d2e-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f

I do wish they'd stop simply referring to supermarkets and 'food outlets'. My local greengrocers is essential (but not a supermarket), whereas the kebab house is a 'food outlet' but not essential. I must admit I'm surprised that there was not a detailed list of these sorts of things to accompany the announcement - they must have anticipated this sort of question.

But if all the kebab shops, curry houses and Chineses closed there wouldn't be enough food in the greengrocers and supermarkets to go round. Don't forget some people live off takeaways.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
You can only go outside for exercise one time a day? I doubt very much there would be any way they could enforce this. If someone gets stopped they will say ' its my first bit exercise today' even if it wasn't.

I think the idea is that you police yourself because you are a responsible law abiding citizen and not a complete muppet. :thumbsup:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Downing Street making it up as they go along. No-one is sure whether they need to go to work tomorrow or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-003135_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-003135_Twitter.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20200324_003504.jpg
    20200324_003504.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m assuming barbers closed? Must have been tricky maintaining distance anyway...using a pair of shears might have helped ...I did go online last night and order some clippers to maintain standards

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Dicsussion Thread

Downing Street making it up as they go along. No-one is sure whether they need to go to work tomorrow or not.

Who’s no one?

How much more clearer does it need to be. Are you a key worker? If yes, go to work.

What am I missing here?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's not difficult. You know if you should go to work or not tomorrow. Ambiguity is no defence. If you shouldn't, then don't. You know it makes sense.

Your boss tells you to come in. You say no. You get sacked?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Who’s no one?

How much more clearer does it need to be. Are you a key worker? If yes, go to work.

What am I missing here?

Who’s no one?

What am I missing here?

Read the tweet above. The government changed its mind in the space of 90 mins.

It is NOT forcing companies to close. It is up to them to determine whether what they do is 'essential'.

Your boss expects you to come in.

What do you do?

Mike Ashley is keeping Sports Direct open. It is not an essential service. If you refused to go in, you could be sacked.

Clear?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here