Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Non essential shops closed, clothes , electrical etc. Nothing about trade supplies, so still trading.
No mention of building sites closing, many of trades are self employed and nothing mentioned of helping them out, so carry on.
I suspect once the self employment issue has been sorted, then the sites will be closed.

Essential is food and medicine. Not building materials ! Police and council will be out tomorrow closing things up

The FT specifically says hardware stores will remain open - but I don't know where they got this information from. "Most shops will close with immediate effect, with only “essential” stores such as food outlets, pharmacies, petrol stations, post offices, hardware shops and newsagents allowed to stay open. Banks will also be allowed to keep their doors open." https://www.ft.com/content/cad58520-6d2e-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f

I do wish they'd stop simply referring to supermarkets and 'food outlets'. My local greengrocers is essential (but not a supermarket), whereas the kebab house is a 'food outlet' but not essential. I must admit I'm surprised that there was not a detailed list of these sorts of things to accompany the announcement - they must have anticipated this sort of question.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would assume that if your company has issued you with a permit to work as a key worker, those are the only people allowed to work, i.e emergency services, those working in food preparation and distribution, health care NHS, pharmaceutical including working in the chemist, public transport and those that work in supermarkets selling food. With regards to the self employed they can only be classed as gas workers and plumbers. The other trades are not classed as essential.

Hopefully there will be a statement from the government in the next day regarding self employed and loss of earnings.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If anyone is confused whether your job is essential or not, just keep going to work. The police will stop and tell you :)

NB: if you’re job was essential, you’d know by now.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
exercise is so important, which is surely why it is a daily exemption from our curfew.

Tennis would be a great sport for this as there is zero contact with your opponent.

Oh well, guess i will have to get into running for a few weeks.

swingball!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I would assume that if your company has issued you with a permit to work as a key worker, those are the only people allowed to work, i.e emergency services, those working in food preparation and distribution, health care NHS, pharmaceutical including working in the chemist, public transport and those that work in supermarkets selling food. With regards to the self employed they can only be classed as gas workers and plumbers. The other trades are not classed as essential.

Hopefully there will be a statement from the government in the next day regarding self employed and loss of earnings.

sparkies? who needs electricity at a time like this?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Hopefully not just supermarkets, but local butchers, greengrocers as well.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Key workers remains this list. Each press conference would last for inordinate amount of time, and be a literal turn off, if they had to repeat all key information from all previous press conferences.

Key workers - shirley the employer determines whether they are or not, the employee doesn’t need to fret with the dichotomy of is or isn’t?

View attachment 121396

nothing in the transport section about shipping; my firm maintains tugs and bunker boats, i consider that essential, but do the cops?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only non-essential retailers have to close. Grocers and pharmacies of any size remain open. This makes sense, many old people and others don’t drive and rely on essentials from their local shops.

Yes - it seems to be more of a list of what must close, rather than what stays open. Having said that, there appears to be no 'official' list, which I find astonishing. They must have thought of this before BJ's address?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I do wish they'd stop simply referring to supermarkets and 'food outlets'. My local greengrocers is essential (but not a supermarket), whereas the kebab house is a 'food outlet' but not essential. I must admit I'm surprised that there was not a detailed list of these sorts of things to accompany the announcement - they must have anticipated this sort of question.

im more than flabergasted at the lack of clear information. there are literally thousands of people available to do this, that specifically do planning, contingency analysis work, but no one has apparently considered what happens to MOTs and what qualifies as a food outlet. this isnt ministerial policy level, this detail is what departments of government are for.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Dicsussion Thread

Genuine question I don’t know the answer to and I have very limited medical knowledge so forgive me it if it sounds stupid.

If you have the virus and aren’t aware you do as I understand a lot might, is there any risk to you going running as it is a respiratory illness?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here