Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m going for Tuesday also, perhaps Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Although I feel a lockdown should have happened Friday personally, so many families and people disregarding the rules for Mother’s Day, can’t help but feel that could be catastrophic down the line.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Total lockdown - predictions thread anyone? :lolol:

The weather is set fair, so plenty of people will continue to go out and about as normal, including people not working - I saw Wetherspoon's bar staff I recognised walking about as normal yesterday afternoon for example - Social distancing is just not taking place as it should, people aren't listening to the advice, or even heard the advice at all and I can't see that changing anytime soon, so I'm going for..........................................

..............from tonight. A bold prediction that could well be wrong, but that's my final answer - from tonight.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s certainly quieter outside than usual, of that there is no doubt, but I’m seeing pictures of hoards of people in supermarkets in very close proximity, small parks packed full of children and parents interacting, busy beaches, markets in London packed full of people ect with the weather perfect for the next 4/5 days it will only continue and it simply cannot be allowed to continue, something has to be done. The people of this country are clearly too thick or selfish to take action themselves.

It’s so damming on the society we live in that people are so unbelievably selfish and unaware of what they are doing, and the ramifications actions will have for innocent vulnerable people who need people to be responsible, truly sad but I guess it’s similar in other countries like Spain and Italy as well, they flouted the rules and are now feeling the consequences. I’m in no doubt we are heading the same way, and that’s a dreadful thought.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Dicsussion Thread

2 weeks later that's not looking like a calm, realistic take on the virus, it's looking like a poor misjudgement.

Agree, I think this is one of the articles the “it’s just a flu mate, you doomsayer” folk were peddling around as some kind of proof.

Whilst completely ignoring what was happening in Asia and starting to happen in Italy. Looking back it was actually a very dangerous complacency.

I’m torn. Glad and relieved people are finally waking up to the severity of the crisis, yet I’d much rather have been proved wrong. Looking at the trends and the British public’s reaction (even now with crowds etc), I fear we are going to be have a larger peak than Italy.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Emirates grounding its entire fleet from Wednesday. No flights anywhere.

Looks like I’ll be stuck in Dubai. Unless I find a yacht I can sail home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Saunders park packed full of people, what on Earth is going on in this world. Honestly no words anymore, making me quite anxious.

Just seen this on twitter, lockdown is the only answer. Simple as that.

https://twitter.com/dinosofos/status/1241697657690734593?s=21
The person that took that photo is adding to the issue. Why are they there? Same as all these photos of tesco queues.

People say this is crazy and then go there and take a photo! :moo:

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am no expert in this field - so make of this what you like, it is just my opinion.

Herd Immunity - What a load of old Bollocks!!! Please stop clinging to this embarrassing phrase, it just will not happen.

We are talking about a virus that was capable of jumping species and then spreading rapidly. I think it is going to mutate and develop multiple strains, which is what flu does. In all likelyhood, people who have been infected will have some immunity to the original strain, but mutations?

[MENTION=18559]dingodan[/MENTION], [MENTION=18559]dingodan[/MENTION], can you hear me [MENTION=18559]dingodan[/MENTION]

Herd Immunity revealed as a Dom thing and totally discredited, as the load of old bollocks I said it was.
There is already believed to be two strains of the virus.
Nudge theory no longer dominating the government response.
Policy to let thousands of pensioners needlessly die, abandoned.
UK finally moves towards islation after France threatens to close the border.
No, you weren't right about herd immunity. We can have herd immunity, once a vaccine is out. It is unlikely to be prevented by the fact that the virus mutated and jumped species etc. Where the government have made a mistake is in the idea that we can allow people to become infected, recover, and then provide the herd immunity we're after. It would actually work, but hundreds of thousands would die in the process. Again, it wouldn't be the virus mutating and re-infecting people that would be the problem.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I guess it’s similar in other countries like Spain and Italy as well, they flouted the rules and are now feeling the consequences. I’m in no doubt we are heading the same way, and that’s a dreadful thought.

I can't speak for other parts but from my pretty good vantage point here it has all be very well respected. Indeed the only ones that were ignoring the advice were quite obviously tourists and most of those are Brits.

Since going into lockdown the streets have been all but deserted. We are allowed out (1 person per household) for food shopping and pharmacy. The shelves have been well stocked since the beginning, they let a few in at a time where hands are sanitsed and disposable gloves given. Everyone keeps their distance

The numbers are still going up at similar rates to elsewhere which shows how virilant it is and how there is a good lag between contracting it and the symptons (if any) emerging

We have a flight home booked for Tuesday and I am really unsure ... but Mrs Rat feels anxious about being stuck here for 3/4+ months by which time the Island economy will be in shreds and local people (mostly low paid in tourism) really feeling the pinch.

I understand her anxiety ... we're between a rock and a hard place

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree, I think this is one of the articles the “it’s just a flu mate, you doomsayer” folk were peddling around as some kind of proof.

Whilst completely ignoring what was happening in Asia and starting to happen in Italy. Looking back it was actually a very dangerous complacency.
Indeed.

I’m torn. Glad and relieved people are finally waking up to the severity of the crisis, yet I’d much rather have been proved wrong.
Obviously we just want to have been wrong. I've not been mentally affected by this yet, but I know we're just at the start, and I am very concerned about what will happen over the next few months.

I'm still confident (and hopeful) that Solid at the back was misguided in his view that half the world would die, but his suggestions of closing borders look pretty appealing right now.

Looking at the trends and the British public’s reaction (even now with crowds etc), I fear we are going to be have a larger peak than Italy.
Although our numbers do seem worryingly high, and appear to following theirs, is it not still true that Italy was in a more vulnerable position to start with, due to their older population (and smoking habits, and close contact culture etc)?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
BBC quoting New York mayor as saying they are 10 days away from a shortage of supplies. Further down it becomes clear that’s in the context of ventilators specifically (Serious enough) , but it appears to be clickbait inferring supplies in general. That could have serious implications for social cohesion. That this sort of thing is still being published, and that no one is pulling anyone up on this style of reporting, is deeply concerning. I am no fake news conspiracy theorist but this is staring everyone in the face - the media is out of control.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No, you weren't right about herd immunity. We can have herd immunity, once a vaccine is out. It is unlikely to be prevented by the fact that the virus mutated and jumped species etc. Where the government have made a mistake is in the idea that we can allow people to become infected, recover, and then provide the herd immunity we're after. It would actually work, but hundreds of thousands would die in the process. Again, it wouldn't be the virus mutating and re-infecting people that would be the problem.

Yet ANOTHER topic in which you are a world authority!

Herd immunity was talked about in terms of, if enough people got infected, we would gain herd immunity. Don't twist the facts to suggest we would let the virus run riot, because a vaccine would be along soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite an ironic post given that you were the one quoting yourself and trying to claim you were some sort of guru. And although you mock, do feel free to go through my posts since the start of the thread and see if I got it wrong.

Herd immunity was talked about in terms of, if enough people got infected, we would gain herd immunity.
Yes that's right, that is what they said. It was poor advice. Although we we would eventually get herd immunity, it would involve the deaths of hundreds of thousands, so it's a bad idea. But you claimed it wouldn't work because this super virus would mutate and people wouldn't be immune. That's not correct.
Don't twist the facts to suggest we would let the virus run riot, because a vaccine would be along soon.
I haven't, you've not understood the posts. A vaccine isn't expected soon (obviously we're hoping it's here asap).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Herd immunity was talked about in terms of, if enough people got infected, we would gain herd immunity. Don't twist the facts to suggest we would let the virus run riot, because a vaccine would be along soon.

Time to curb the press and official statements only. The distortion of the herd immunity issue has allowed it to run riot online and become established in many people’s minds as government policy. I cannot for the life of me understand how any news outlet can be motivated to distort, sensationalize or create misleading clickbait at this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here