Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Voiding the 19/20 season creates more problems than it solves. For that reason, I don’t think it will happen.

there are no problems, its a glorified leisure pursuit run and involving a group of private clubs. they can call a meeting and agree to void the season and its done. promotion is all done by invitation, relegation is not compulsory. only minor issue is selecting clubs for European competitions, and they will have to follow what ever UEFA decree there.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Does anyone actually care about the football season at the moment? It’s strange for me to say this as I’m sport mental but I haven’t even thought about football or anything else for ages.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This self isolation lark isn't as easy as it is made out to be...
I'm out of work, so easy for me, I only go out if I need to, shops etc.
Wife's a dental nurse and going to work. She is in a high risk job, obviously.
Son 1, is working and cannot work from home. His girlfriend works in a takeaway, so meeting public. He sees her everyday.
Son 2, works in a pub, so he is staying home with me (hopefully).
Daughter delivers takeaways, at arms length or drop on doorstep. So she is working with the public.

So it seems that myself and son 2 staying in is pretty worthless to be honest. There must be thousands in the same situation.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

It's certainly difficult for couples that don't live together. Theoretically they shouldn't be seeing each other :shrug:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It's certainly difficult for couples that don't live together. Theoretically they shouldn't be seeing each other :shrug:
I mentioned this and it didn't go down well. I said this will happen soon or you will have to move in with her. We shall see.
I'm expecting dental surgeries to be shut at some point, so that will be 3 at home.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Does anyone actually care about the football season at the moment? It’s strange for me to say this as I’m sport mental but I haven’t even thought about football or anything else for ages.

Not sure in terms of caring about it but it's nice to think of other stuff for a few minutes here and there

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure in terms of caring about it but it's nice to think of other stuff for a few minutes here and there

Exactly, just because we talk about it doesn't mean we put it above what else is going on at the moment.

If you spent your whole time focusing purely on covid-19 (and I know there are some that have to do that) your anxiety and paranoia will be through the roof.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Voiding the 19/20 season creates more problems than it solves. For that reason, I don’t think it will happen.

When's the cut off point then? Or, when teams are able to play, we finish the last 10 games even if that is Dec! So that has an affect on players contracts which finish on 30th June. It will have an affect on tv contracts which are built around the normal season. It will have an effect on European competitions if they start before we've sorted out the league positions. It will mean the next season will start sometime in the beginning of 2021 which will affect the following season after that and also possibly run into the Euros. Clubs would have to release players for the Euros or suspend the season until the Euros are complete which will have a knock on effect to the 21/22 season which is already disrupted by the stupid Qatar World Cup!!

One of the nationals did an analysis and estimated that, if push came to shove, 13 out of 20 EPL clubs would vote to void the season (they would need one more to pass the rule). That was when the league was only suspended until 4th April!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
When's the cut off point then? Or, when teams are able to play, we finish the last 10 games even if that is Dec! So that has an affect on players contracts which finish on 30th June. It will have an affect on tv contracts which are built around the normal season. It will have an effect on European competitions if they start before we've sorted out the league positions. It will mean the next season will start sometime in the beginning of 2021 which will affect the following season after that and also possibly run into the Euros. Clubs would have to release players for the Euros or suspend the season until the Euros are complete which will have a knock on effect to the 21/22 season which is already disrupted by the stupid Qatar World Cup!!

One of the nationals did an analysis and estimated that, if push came to shove, 13 out of 20 EPL clubs would vote to void the season (they would need one more to pass the rule). That was when the league was only suspended until 4th April!

All of the concepts in your first paragraph are preferable to this ending up in the hands of lawyers, which would potentially drag matters out interminably. There would be solutions if next season started in January (drop the cups, each team plays each other once, suspend WCC etc.)

At the very least, you'd expect any clubs relegated, Liverpool and any clubs who missed out on Europe while having a reasonable chance of qualifying to attempt to sue the PL if the season was voided. It's not an option.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
7 deaths in wales in 24 hours taking their total to 12. That's crazy

I hoped we wouldn’t mirror the massive jump in fatalities (130) that Italy made on this same day 14 days ago. That Wales number has all but removed my hope. I think everyone needs to brace themselves for a very grim announcement this afternoon.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All of the concepts in your first paragraph are preferable to this ending up in the hands of lawyers, which would potentially drag matters out interminably. There would be solutions if next season started in January (drop the cups, each team plays each other once, suspend WCC etc.)

At the very least, you'd expect the three clubs relegated if the season was voided to attempt to sue the PL. Voiding is not an option.

If the season was voided there wouldn't be any relegation!!! Next season would start with the same clubs that started this season. Leeds and WBA would be upset but a) they don't have a vote on it and b) neither have actually secured promotion yet.

I think you're confusing voiding the season and finishing the season now as they stand. Two very different scenarios.

Finally, if we get the same sort of fatalities that Italy is experiencing, then any club that does decide to sue, I suspect will suffer a PR nightmare 10 times worse than the one Cardiff have experienced with regard to Sala!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

At the very least, you'd expect any clubs relegated, Liverpool and any clubs who missed out on Europe while having a reasonable chance of qualifying to attempt to sue the PL if the season was voided. It's not an option.
Although, if a club goes bust because the season is prolonged indefinitely and they can't budget for which league they'll be in next season, and get relegated in say November - with the wages also mounting up in the delay - then whether lawyers are involved or not becomes rather moot.

You really have to void relegation if 38 matches arn't played anyway.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
If the season was voided there wouldn't be any relegation!!! Next season would start with the same clubs that started this season. Leeds and WBA would be upset but a) they don't have a vote on it and b) neither have actually secured promotion yet.

I think you're confusing voiding the season and finishing the season now as they stand. Two very different scenarios.

Finally, if we get the same sort of fatalities that Italy is experiencing, then any club that does decide to sue, I suspect will suffer a PR nightmare 10 times worse than the one Cardiff have experienced with regard to Sala!!

So Leeds and WBA wouldn't sue because they'd be worried about bad PR?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Generation DISGRACE

6CBBF5AC-BD40-4431-B5DC-1A631BD58499.jpeg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So Leeds and WBA wouldn't sue because they'd be worried about bad PR?

sue for what? promotion is formally by invitation, if the premier league dont invite anyone to join, that is their right.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

When the blanket cessation of just about all sport hit home last week, at first I thought I'd be crawling up the walls in cold turkey. Funnily enough, after the first couple of days this has worn off. Funny how you adapt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here