Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My wife undergoes her fourth cycle of chemotherapy tomorrow for Lymphoma. We will be self isolating for the week immediately following her treatment, when her immune system will be at its lowest.

Probably over reacting, but hey, wouldn’t you?

That is doing precisely the right thing and best of luck

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I for one will not change my habits or voluntarily lock myself away
People lock themselves away to stop spreading the virus to those more vulnerable. So if you catch the virus, you'll just go out infecting people, like someone with HIV going around spreading it. Nice.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
My wife undergoes her fourth cycle of chemotherapy tomorrow for Lymphoma. We will be self isolating for the week immediately following her treatment, when her immune system will be at its lowest.

All the best to your wife but you might be best talking to her doctors. Will a week be long enough given the fact that in today's press conference they were talking about epidemic lasting 10-14 weeks?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It feels like we've been discussing this disease forever and that government measures has been slow, the virus have been "slow" in spreading etc... but when I think about it, we've only been talking about this for what, 10 days? Less? Its crazy how rapidly all of this has happened. And its really just beginning.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
All the best to your wife but you might be best talking to her doctors. Will a week be long enough given the fact that in today's press conference they were talking about epidemic lasting 10-14 weeks?

No a week won’t be any good going forward. Her immune system is at its lowest ebb for a week following treatment, which is why we have chosen to do this.

We will do the same for cycles 5 & 6, unless advice has changed by that point.

The talk is the virus could be with us for a year or more, so I don’t think she can self isolate for that long, just aim to reduce the known risks.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am due to go on holiday to Turkey at the end of the month for a week.

I have been told by my employers that if I go then on my return they will insist i self isolate for two weeks and they will only pay me the statuary sick pay.

What are your thoughts on this ?

I would have thought that unless the Foreign Office have issued advice about Turkey then your employer would not be able to insist upon this.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is it though?

You had a literally fully compartmentalised group of people. I am not sure when they were quarantined but I expect it was relatively early on when the first case was confirmed.

The suspected super-spreader left the ship on the 25th Jan. Looks like quarantine happened on the 4th of Feb. Your looking at at least 10 days of the virus spreading throughout the ship unchecked. I imagine an air conditioning system blowing the coughed/sneezed out virus from room to room.

“On 20 January 2020, an 80-year-old passenger from Hong Kong, China, embarked in Yokohama, and disembarked in Hong Kong on 25 January. On 1 February, six days after leaving the ship, he visited a Hong Kong hospital, where he tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.[26][27] The ship was due to depart Yokohama for its next cruise on 4 February, but announced a delay the same day to allow Japanese authorities to screen and test passengers and crew still on board. On 4 February, the authorities announced positive test results for SARS-CoV-2 for ten people on board, the cancellation of the cruise and that the ship was entering quarantine.”wiki

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not at all, my very best wishes to you both.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Hers and your health far more important than going to a match. Hope it goes well for her

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Not over reacting at all. Best wishes to you both.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
2000: Bisphenol A (BPA)
2001: Anthrax
2003: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA)
2006: Bird Flu (H5N1)
2009: Swine Flu (H1N1)

Here are but a few of the panics that have happened in the last 20 years, how many were called a pandemic and turned out to be nothing or only seriously effected very few people per % of population?
In the grand scheme of things I predict more people will be killed this year as a result of driving than of any of a number of flu/cold viruses/epidemics/pandemics.
Lets ban the car!! Oh wait they are already doing that by forcing everybody to buy an electric car which few can afford, even though it was only a few years ago that government "Experts" told us that diesel cars were better for the environment than petrol.

Chill out please. Ask yourself the first question that most investigators ask themselves, Who stands to gain from the incident?

Big Pharma? Bio-chemical organisations?
I for one will not change my habits or voluntarily lock myself away, if I get the virus and it turns out to be fatal then it was my turn.

Idiot

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Arsenal team having to self isolate now then? Should give us a good chance of that first win of 2020.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Definitely not an overreaction. Best wishes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here