Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
And Glastonbury I assume

Yes, I think so - annoyingly. Was due to go.

But can you imagine, say, 500 out of 250,000 falling ill with Coronavirus on a single day?

How would you get them out of there in isolation? And that's just 0.2% of festival-goers.

And everyone else would be worried that they've caught it.

(Doubt artists will be travelling around anyway)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It hasn't let you down, blind tribalism let's people down.

There's good and bad in people of all political parties. And something like this epedemic out of nowhere has nothing to do with usual partisan political thinking, it's neither right wing or left, leave or remain.

You'd assume if Corbyn was PM the advice and decisions would be same/similar. Still think we're not doing enough to curtail it, but agree getting on with it, but also being sensible is the only way forward.

I should imagine exactly the same. I would think the government (as in politicians) have little to do with anything. They will just sit there and say 'yes' to the experts and administrators. Sensible thing to do.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The "good" news is these Italian measures will give us a decent idea of whether such restrictions will get results. The big unknown is how long the measures need to be in place. There's got to be a likelihood of ending the restrictions too soon and then having to return to them.

China's full on lockdown seems to have worked, but Wuhan has been on lockdown since the 23rd of January, so entering their 7th week now. If we start around the 23rd of March, then we might be getting out again mid May.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
I have a feeling the inept and rudderless US government may be about to start taking things seriously...

Multiple republican congressman are in isolation after coming into 'sustained contact' with a CPAC (right wing annual conference) attendee tested positive for the virus. Interestingly, one of those having to self isolate is the congressman who wore a full gas mask on the floor in a mocking stunt during a vote to authorize funds for fighting the epidemic last week. That same congressman traveled on Air Force 1 with Trump just this afternoon...

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...ckdown-anxiety-grows-d-c-n1152886/ncrd1153621

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Are they? They’re actually doing that? Really?
Report on C4 News tonight from an Italian hospital. Reporter says doctors already having to make decisions of who to give respirators to as they haven't enough. Giving them to those with the best chance of survival

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are they? They’re actually doing that? Really?

Yep - I certainly saw or heard this on a news report yesterday. A quick google threw up this - https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-n...s-italian-doctor-covid-19-christian-salaroli/

This is the same "three wise men" protocol expected to come into play, if required, in UK hospitals where three senior consultants have to choose who gets a chance to be saved and who doesn't - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...sive-care-flu-wise-men-protocol-a9361916.html

Incredibly some people still seem to think this is some sort of media frenzy and there's not much going on bar a few old people dieing who were going to die anyway.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So 500,000 die in the UK every year apparently. What increase on this number would people consider to be a disaster?

100? (0.02%)
1,000? (0.2%)
10,000? (2%)
20,000? (4%)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep - I certainly saw or heard this on a news report yesterday. A quick google threw up this - https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-n...s-italian-doctor-covid-19-christian-salaroli/

This is the same "three wise men" protocol expected to come into play, if required, in UK hospitals where three senior consultants have to choose who gets a chance to be saved and who doesn't - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...sive-care-flu-wise-men-protocol-a9361916.html

[I]Incredibly some people still seem to think this is some sort of media frenzy and there's not much going on[/I] bar a few old people dieing who were going to die anyway.

My portfolio has taken a severe hammering this past week

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So 500,000 die in the UK every year apparently. What increase on this number would people consider to be a disaster?

100? (0.02%)
1,000? (0.2%)
10,000? (2%)
20,000? (4%)

how does 50% around 250k sit? thats 2% of 20% of the population.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Incredibly some people still seem to think this is some sort of media frenzy and there's not much going on bar a few old people dieing who were going to die anyway.

Interesting quote:

Asked about the Italian government’s decision to quarantine more than 15 million people in northern Italy in an attempt to contain the epidemic, Salaroli said it was “fair but a week late.”

What matters now, he said, is to “stay at home, stay at home. I keep repeating it over and over again. I see too many people on the street, you have no idea what is happening,” he said.

Take heed.

D

Deleted member 22389

My cousin who is in Southern Italy is now staying in. He put a message on Facebook telling people to please listen to the government, I can understand why. The trouble with older generations, is they simply will not listen and think they know better.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I am flying on the 30th March, I hadn't thought about the upgrade option. I will definitely be asking.

Are you getting to a game?

I will hope to get to both the Liverpool and Man City games in at the Amex.
Never seen a game there yet, last time I was back it was under construction and the security guy let me in for a couple of sneaky photos when I explained I was flying back in a couple of days.
Shame I won't be seeing any winnable games !

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My cousin who is in Southern Italy is now staying in. He put a message on Facebook telling people to please listen to the government, I can understand why. The trouble with older generations, is they simply will not listen and think they know better.
The Italian government has been criticising young people who are clubbing etc and are ignoring the advice.

BTW from Sky News and very alarming:

Nearly 20% of confirmed cases in Italy have been fatal so far, making the fatality rate apparently much higher than in other parts of the world, where scientists have tentatively estimated the fatality rate to be between 1-3%.

Except it makes no sense as they have about 9000 confirmed cases. I assume that's cases to a resolution?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here