Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope that when this is finally behind us, the Chinese leadership actually take some responsibility for this global health and economic disaster. Instead of spending billions of Yen on vanity projects they’d be better off implementing some basic health and hygiene standards that outlaw these medieval ‘wet markets.’

Totally agreed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep - I certainly saw or heard this on a news report yesterday. A quick google threw up this - https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-n...s-italian-doctor-covid-19-christian-salaroli/

This is the same "three wise men" protocol expected to come into play, if required, in UK hospitals where three senior consultants have to choose who gets a chance to be saved and who doesn't - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...sive-care-flu-wise-men-protocol-a9361916.html

Incredibly some people still seem to think this is some sort of media frenzy and there's not much going on bar a few old people dieing who were going to die anyway.

Ah yes, prioritisation. Makes sense. The three wise men protocol was thought up for Swine flu a few years back. Wasn’t used then either If I recall.

D

Deleted member 22389

I hope that when this is finally behind us, the Chinese leadership actually take some responsibility for this global health and economic disaster. Instead of spending billions of Yen on vanity projects they’d be better off implementing some basic health and hygiene standards that outlaw these medieval ‘wet markets.’

They don't give a shit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Italian doctor source on twitter - sounds horrific

[tweet]1237142891077697538[/tweet]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have a company wide “log in from home” test tonight to see how the systems cope.

All senior managers have been asked to produce a BCP plan in 24 hours at my place but apparently it's NOTHING to do with Coronavirus ..... no siree ...... he says working from home !!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51812326

Common sense or ignorance? Chief medical officer defends U.K. strategy.

It's fairly self evident we're not near the level of Italy yet, but all government messaging seems to suggest that's where this is heading in the next few weeks. On that basis, I still cannot quite fathom why we wait to move to delay phase.

When they warn those in Florida a massive hurricane is coming, they dont wait till its arrived to start boarding the house and getting out the sandbags, they act in advance.

As someone else said, there's a lot of mixed messaging. This things coming, it's going to sweep fast, it's 10x more deadly than flu, but we're not going to act yet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All senior managers have been asked to produce a BCP plan in 24 hours at my place but apparently it's NOTHING to do with Coronavirus ..... no siree ...... he says working from home !!!!

should write a BCP describing the movement of all personnel the secondary/standby site your company has setup.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Italian doctor source on twitter - sounds horrific

[tweet]1237142891077697538[/tweet]

That is a bit scary. I know it's 'cool' to be unbothered by all this and as far as I know I'm in fine health, but it's my elderly parents I'm concerned about.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is a bit scary. I know it's 'cool' to be unbothered by all this and as far as I know I'm in fine health, but it's my elderly parents I'm concerned about.

Likewise - both my parents are in their late 70's and my mum has a form of Parkinsons. My Dad is frail from looking after her. My brother has MS. It's all a worry about how they will deal with it even if I deliver goods to all of them ..... which is quite difficult to fit around work ..... and to get some goods thanks to stockpiling idiots !

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Worried for parents and inlaws in late eighties. A little for myself at 64 but very pleased for my children and grandchildren that the young are less likely to be affected.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's fairly self evident we're not near the level of Italy yet, but all government messaging seems to suggest that's where this is heading in the next few weeks. On that basis, I still cannot quite fathom why we wait to move to delay phase.

When they warn those in Florida a massive hurricane is coming, they dont wait till its arrived to start boarding the house and getting out the sandbags, they act in advance.

As someone else said, there's a lot of mixed messaging. This things coming, it's going to sweep fast, it's 10x more deadly than flu, but we're not going to act yet.

I don't think it's mixed messages (well not from those who know what they're talking about). It's fairly straightforward.

There will be new measures introduced, closing schools, sporting events, asking people to stay at home etc, but they are trying to time it for maximum effect in order to minimise (or 'level out') the impact on the NHS. If you close everything too early, people will start going out, shopping, kids playing together etc, after a short while and this could coincide with the peak of infection. When the infection is likely to peak, that is the time you want the measures to be having maximum effect.

We all know it's going to spread around the UK and be extremely worrying for high risk groups, so it's now about trying to time the measures to try and stop the NHS becoming completely overwhelmed.

I'm just hoping that if i get it, it's before July when I become high risk :wink:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would also suggest the ECB have picked a bad summer to launch The Hundred

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here