Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Perhaps, or perhaps this is another example of dithering by the government... Only time will tell.

You want the Government to go against the JVCI?

The guys with all the evidence? The guys that if something goes wrong they get blamed, not the ones trying to fast track vaccines on kids - they will of course vanish if something goes wrong.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So are our scientists following different science, or is it a policy choice?

Elsewhere, politicians have overruled their expert advisers. In Germany, where the committee advising the government on vaccination only explicitly recommended the vaccine for teenagers with comorbidities, regional health ministers decided unilaterally to offer the vaccine to all aged 12 and over.

Doesn’t seem very sciencey

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The guys with all the evidence? The guys that if something goes wrong they get blamed, not the ones trying to fast track vaccines on kids - they will of course vanish if something goes wrong.

With respect this government has ignored the science on numerous occasions during the pandemic.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

The JVCI do not have all the evidence. Can it honestly be said that the JVCI have all the evidence needed to take a decision on vaccination, based on cost-benefit, risk to children, risk to adults, fair distribution of vaccine between children / adults / booster doses / parts of the world that have had no vaccine at all? Do the JVCI have all the facts about the economy?

One way in which things have gone wrong is that the problem of coronavirus has been seen to be the only problem, and anything that reduced the problem of coronavirus is automatically deemed a Good Thing regardless of other consequences. The overall effect was never, and still has not been, considered. They have still not even tried to assess whether lockdown in the way they did it was cost-effective or the right thing to do; which, considering that some people at least are advocating doing it again, is appalling.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Both myself and my wife have had our vaccines, but we certainly won’t be allowing our 12 year old daughter to have it, especially in light of the JVCI decision.
She’s already had covid with extremely mild symptoms and a full recovery within a week, she will already have a degree of immunity and as far as I can see the risk from vaccination far outweighs the risk from covid.
The fact the government seemingly think they know better than the JVCI is crossing a line too far for me.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It will be amusing to watch the posters on this thread who are unable to get past the politics, struggle to criticise the government if they over-rule the decision not to give jabs to 12-15 year olds.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The JVCI do not have all the evidence. Can it honestly be said that the JVCI have all the evidence needed to take a decision on vaccination, based on cost-benefit, risk to children, risk to adults, fair distribution of vaccine between children / adults / booster doses / parts of the world that have had no vaccine at all? Do the JVCI have all the facts about the economy?

One way in which things have gone wrong is that the problem of coronavirus has been seen to be the only problem, and anything that reduced the problem of coronavirus is automatically deemed a Good Thing regardless of other consequences. The overall effect was never, and still has not been, considered. They have still not even tried to assess whether lockdown in the way they did it was cost-effective or the right thing to do; which, considering that some people at least are advocating doing it again, is appalling.

It has enough evidence to say no for the moment as the risks don’t justify it, Johnson is now pushing forward because it’s popular.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes they have the medical information thats available, theres a lot (except long term obvs). thats why they were able to make the judgement on shorter jab intervals. JVCI shouldnt be anywhere near economic impact, just as we dont want Bank of England advising on vaccines. politicians job to reconcile those two sources of advice.

anyone paying attention will notice the politicans want to do vacination of children, currently the JVCI is saying they dont think its medically appropriate, so in coming days some other medical consultancy will be found to say its ok.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
yes they have the medical information thats available, theres a lot (except long term obvs). thats why they were able to make the judgement on shorter jab intervals. JVCI shouldnt be anywhere near economic impact, just as we dont want Bank of England advising on vaccines. politicians job to reconcile those two sources of advice.

anyone paying attention will notice the politicans want to do vacination of children, currently the JVCI is saying they dont think its medically appropriate, so in coming days some other medical consultancy will be found to say its ok.
The politicians always want to do something. That's bad. And they all think they will do it better than everyone before - and that's even worse. I prefer my politicians to leave things alone if possible.

The problem is, the politicians haven't noticed that the position has changed. They think we're still in the position of last January, because there are loads of cases. They think they have to do something, anything, and it doesn't matter what they do but they have to do something. I wish they wouldn't. But that's why they're leaning on the JVCI.

I agree absolutely that it's not the JVCI's job to look at economics.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What's the risk from vaccination? ???

Now I’m 100% sure you’ve read the problems young females have had after receiving the vaccine, I’m also 100% sure you’ve asked that question to provoke a debate, which quite frankly I don’t think is warranted on a football message board.
However if I’m wrong I apologise and I suggest you have a quick google, but the bottom line is, why would I take the word of a politician (and also a serial liar) over a group of medical advisors that have spent their lives learning about the very subject they’re advising on.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Now I’m 100% sure you’ve read the problems young females have had after receiving the vaccine, I’m also 100% sure you’ve asked that question to provoke a debate, which quite frankly I don’t think is warranted on a football message board.
However if I’m wrong I apologise and I suggest you have a quick google, but the bottom line is, why would I take the word of a politician (and also a serial liar) over a group of medical advisors that have spent their lives learning about the very subject they’re advising on.

Sorry to be a pain, but could you link to these medical concerns regarding young women and the Covid vaccine, as I have finally persuaded my daughter to get hers done and wouldn't want to be causing her unnecessary harm.

I did try Google, but couldn't find anything other than the usual Twitter and Facebook stuff!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
This is batshit scary if true, the state overrules parents;

Teenagers can overrule their parents on a decision to have the Covid-19 vaccination if jabs are introduced for 12- to 15-year-olds, the vaccines minister has said.

Nadhim Zahawi said that if a 12- to 15-year-olds wanted to receive the jab and was judged to be “competent” then their decision would overrule the parents’ refusal for their child to be vaccinated.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Sorry to be a pain, but could you link to these medical concerns regarding young women and the Covid vaccine, as I have finally persuaded my daughter to get hers done and wouldn't want to be causing her unnecessary harm.

I did try Google, but couldn't find anything other than the usual Twitter and Facebook stuff!
There are plenty of articles about the vaccines effect on young female menstrual cycles, what’s not known yet is if there is any effect in fertility, for me there are too many unknowns right now when it comes to kids, for me who’s on the downward slope to old age it is neither here nor there, but for a pre teen girl with her whole life in front of her, I’m going err on the side of caution, especially as she will gain very little from having the jab, and I say this as someone who has been pro vaccines from the start.

The tone set by the government at the moment doesn’t sit well with me, and a year ago if you said the government would not only go against medical advice but also allow children to be vaccinated without their parents permission, you would have been branded a tin hat wearing looney!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here