Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Your explanation of yourself is perfect vegster to make my own point, 60, and a loving Grandad......... because I am absolutely fuming with Boris right now for even uttering what he is quoted as saying on the BBC.

I did vote for Bojo in the GE as a leaver, centrist and totally not in the Corbyn camp, for me he was the least worst, accepting his many faults and that he is a pathological liar.

a week ago he stood there and said directly to the country "my government will STOP AT NOTHING to prevent the spread of coronavirus"

1 week later, Israel has effectively shut its border, any foreign national from a country with more than 100 cases must show proof of self quarantine arrangements on arrival (who would go there now). Many other countries have closed their borders and either stopped flights from larger hotspot areas or forcing all from those areas into quarantine.

We fight the fire with empty words while leaving the door wide open to more burning people to walk in.

Then today he now says this:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government's scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) was considering a range of options to delay the spread of the disease.

He told ITV's This Morning programme that Sage had told him measures such as closing schools and banning big events "don't work as well perhaps as people think".

Another way of responding to the virus would be to "take it on the chin" and allow it to "move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures", Mr Johnson said.

"I think we need to strike a balance," he added.

from his government stopping at nothing to stop it to doing absolutely nothing to stop it within 7 days?, "take it on the chin" and be willing to sacrifice your parents , grandparents and those family with pre-existing conditions.

Im sure this is best for the city, industry, NHS budgets and you can bet your life that it wont reach number 10, but how the f*ck can the government even make such a suggestion?

It may well get to that point where its to late, and probably will, but until it does, I'd expect nothing less than the government doing what it promised a week ago, the original doing everything to protect citizens and stop the spread for as long as possible, including closing schools and cancelling events if needs be, because there will be 1000's of extra grandads and parents who will spend next Christmas with their grand kids/kids because of it.

I'm genuinely not trying to be an arse about it, but if you've voted for someone in the full knowledge that they are a liar, you can't get too angry when a few weeks later one of their lies directly impacts you.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Your explanation of yourself is perfect vegster to make my own point, 60, and a loving Grandad......... because I am absolutely fuming with Boris right now for even uttering what he is quoted as saying on the BBC.

I did vote for Bojo in the GE as a leaver, centrist and totally not in the Corbyn camp, for me he was the least worst, accepting his many faults and that he is a pathological liar.

a week ago he stood there and said directly to the country "my government will STOP AT NOTHING to prevent the spread of coronavirus"

1 week later, Israel has effectively shut its border, any foreign national from a country with more than 100 cases must show proof of self quarantine arrangements on arrival (who would go there now). Many other countries have closed their borders and either stopped flights from larger hotspot areas or forcing all from those areas into quarantine.

We fight the fire with empty words while leaving the door wide open to more burning people to walk in.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government's scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) was considering a range of options to delay the spread of the disease.

He told ITV's This Morning programme that Sage had told him measures such as closing schools and banning big events "don't work as well perhaps as people think".

Another way of responding to the virus would be to "take it on the chin" and allow it to "move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures", Mr Johnson said.

from his government stopping at nothing to stop it to doing absolutely nothing to stop it within 7 days?, "take it on the chin" and be willing to sacrifice your parents , grandparents and those family with pre-existing conditions.

Im sure this is best for the city, industry, NHS budgets and you can bet your life that it wont reach number 10, but how the f*ck can the government even make such a suggestion?

It may well get to that point where its to late, and probably will, but until it does, I'd expect nothing less than the government doing what it promised a week ago, the original doing everything to protect citizens and stop the spread for as long as possible, including closing schools and cancelling events if needs be, because there will be 1000's of extra grandads and parents who will spend next Christmas with their grand kids/kids because of it.

Not seen or heard this today but it really does not surprise me. Johnson really struggles with empathy, his strengths lie in corporate bullshit and waffle. We could still possibly slow this down considerably if we took adequate measures, it seems to me that Johnson is more worried about business than people.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not seen or heard this today but it really does not surprise me. Johnson really struggles with empathy, his strengths lie in corporate bullshit and waffle. We could still possibly slow this down considerably if we took adequate measures, it seems to me that Johnson is more worried about business than people.

Who knew? :shrug:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Absolute disgraceful comments what he said today. He has to stand down after those comments.
He may be willing to sacrifice millions of people in this country, but I don't think they public will fall for this shit when they see people dropping like flies and the chaos that follows

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sorry, this is inevitably going to take the thread off down a political alley, but when people vote by prioritising Brexit and a new blue passport over every other issue this is the inevitable result. You've only got yourself to blame.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Any decent company should have BCP / work at home arrangements. So should be no problem for her to self isolate?

Unless that decent company is a shop or customer based enterprise...

What if they are a decent company but have only two members of staff in a shop, what then go in or stay at home because there maybe a "chance" you could be contagious.

No work from home on full pay then is there, it would be the shitty statuary sick pay, workers will think of that, and money unfortunately is a necessity to most and they may not be able to take that hit, and just go in to work and take that risk, which is something I can appreciate maybe some people will be forced to do and understand their need to, for all sorts of reasons.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Boris is loving it, this should hopefully kill off lots of poor people and once the NHS is fully privatised many more will die and he'll stand there and say "it's so awful, we really have tried our best" and the ****ing morons will carry on lapping up the bullshit

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
it seems to me that Johnson is more worried about business than people.

Is this the same Boris that said "F*ck business!"?

For me, I'm starting to think about the impact of coronavirus on my personal behaviour. I've postponed booking a family holiday until I see how things pan out, I'll start washing my hands more from today and in order to get fitter (and therefore in better shape to fight infection) I started a new dietary and exercise regime on Monday.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
For me im not worried. For my Grandparents yes I am.

However for me it feels like world governments are now demo running for something potentially much worse.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Is this the same Boris that said "F*ck business!"?

For me, I'm starting to think about the impact of coronavirus on my personal behaviour. I've postponed booking a family holiday until I see how things pan out, I'll start washing my hands more from today and in order to get fitter (and therefore in better shape to fight infection) I started a new dietary and exercise regime on Monday.

Its almost as if he will say anything.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I do have some sympathy with you not realising that a pathological lying, back stabbing, self interested, privileged, egotistical, bigoted, bumbling buffoon wasn't the sensible, caring, centrist man of the people you thought you were voting for.

The fact is, this is gold dust for the likes of Johnson and Cummings. While their governance should be under scrutiny, they are lapping up looking statesmen-like, chairing important meetings and saying things like "we'll get through this" and "we'll be okay if we all pull together" and "we're proud of our NHS and we'll do everything we can".

It's brilliant. Trump in the lead up to an election year is loving this even more so. He can still be an ignorant utter cock-biscuit in a meeting "so er....can't we just use...you know...a strong flu vaccine against the Corona?"...and the middle American voters will be lapping it up....yeah just give us extra flu jabs right!!??

Honestly, Johnson is doing exactly what you could predict he might do in times of crisis, think about PR and how best to look good. 'Go to flood hit communities, maybe take a bit of abuse but really understand the scale of what is happening?' not a ****ing chance. If he isn't even going to get on a train for 90mins to get to a flood hit area, what friggin chance do people think we've got of him leading us through a flu crisis?

Let's just make sit back, hope the stocks and economy doesn't take too much of a hit, and ride it out, hoping the death rate isn't too bad. He doesn't give a ****. He never has.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boris is loving it, this should hopefully kill off lots of poor people and once the NHS is fully privatised many more will die and he'll stand there and say "it's so awful, we really have tried our best" and the ****ing morons will carry on lapping up the bullshit

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Except if the mortality demographic is correct and so is the UK voting demographic he'll mainly be killing off his own voters. Not everything's a massive conspiracy. Let's just hope that someone who wasted hundreds of millions as Mayor of London and needed a "pooper scooper" civil servant when Foreign Secretary, can safely and cleverly balance keeping people healthy, keeping life and the economy more or less normal and taking us out of the EU.:eek:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

A prime example of someone in a blind panic without listening to and understanding the comments from the Chief Medical and Chief Scientific Officers.

We need to get some perspective, there have to date been zero deaths in the UK, and the number of confirmed cases is still below 100.

So basically you are saying that the whole country should go home and lock their doors until July or whenever the merchants of doom say it is safe to come out again.

There is no suggestion that we need to sacrifice parents, grandparents or those with pre-existing conditions. If you accept the 8.4% death rate for those over 80, it still means that 91.6% of those over 80 who contract the virus will survive. While unfortunate for those that will die, you need to take a step back and consider how many of those would have died anyway from normal flu this winter, or from some other ailment.

But let's close schools although the evidence is that children catch the virus less frequently and have a milder version), to force parents to stay at home, or get grand parents to look after children, thereby lowering incomes so more deaths will occur in those that fall below the poverty line.

But what are you doing about the regular deaths from smoking, car accidents...... Let's just become a society that never leaves our homes to avoid death from any cause.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A prime example of someone in a blind panic without listening to and understanding the comments from the Chief Medical and Chief Scientific Officers.

We need to get some perspective, there have to date been zero deaths in the UK, and the number of confirmed cases is still below 100.

So basically you are saying that the whole country should go home and lock their doors until July or whenever the merchants of doom say it is safe to come out again.

There is no suggestion that we need to sacrifice parents, grandparents or those with pre-existing conditions. If you accept the 8.4% death rate for those over 80, it still means that 91.6% of those over 80 who contract the virus will survive. While unfortunate for those that will die, you need to take a step back and consider how many of those would have died anyway from normal flu this winter, or from some other ailment.

But let's close schools although the evidence is that children catch the virus less frequently and have a milder version), to force parents to stay at home, or get grand parents to look after children, thereby lowering incomes so more deaths will occur in those that fall below the poverty line.

But what are you doing about the regular deaths from smoking, car accidents...... Let's just become a society that never leaves our homes to avoid death from any cause.

These are fair points. It is estimated that 28,000 - 36,000 people per year die in the UK as a result of air pollution. These are likely to be largely the same people.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Is there evidence children are less likely to catch the virus? I appreciate that symptoms do not show or are less serious, but not that they don't catch it, and therefore pass it on.

On the second point we minimise risk as far as reasonably practicable, weighing up the cost and benefits of certain actions or in-actions.

Edit:

The number of reported COVID-19 cases in children remains low: of more than 44,000 confirmed cases from China, only 416 (less than 1 percent) were aged nine years or younger. No deaths were reported in this age group.

In Australia, only one child has so far had confirmed COVID-19 infection.

It remains unclear whether the low numbers of child infections recorded is due to:

low numbers of children being exposed to the virus
low numbers of children being infected, or
low numbers of infected children developing symptoms severe enough to present for care.

If large numbers of children are not getting sick, why does it matter?If children are infected yet have milder symptoms, they may still play a critical role in COVID-19 transmission. Children are mobile, shed large volume of virus, congregate in groups and are at lower risk of severe disease so often maintain their daily activities.

Preventing school-age children getting infected with influenza has been shown to be an effective community prevention strategy. In the absence of a COVID-19 vaccine, school closures may need to be considered when looking at ways to decrease community spread, if children are found to be key transmitters of infection.

https://www.sciencealert.com/if-you...hing-coronavirus-here-s-what-you-need-to-know

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here