Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Did you just make that up?

The evidence that I have read is that they catch it as often as other age groups but get it milder. The downside to this for everyone else is that kids are still able to 'go out and play' and happily spread it around.

Some of the things said on here include:

Covid-19 is no worse than flu (i.e it’s a cold FFS, MTFU);
children don’t get the virus and therefore don’t pass it on;
you are more likely to die going for a drive than catching Covid-19; and
Etc.

If all the above were true then I would understand people's astonishment the amount of concern Covid-19 is generating and their apparent reluctance to accept the measures that are being taken/proposed.

However these points aren’t true.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The Brexit thread is bad enough without having "son of..."!

My point, really, is letting a single issue dictate how you vote will inevitably lead to the party or person you voted for letting you down over other issues. It could be the "B Word", Heathrow Third Runway, green issues, whatever. If voting for a party then consider their manifesto and leadership as a whole, and if voting for a person then vote for the best likely MP for your local area.

I do appreciate that the choice between Johnson and Corbyn was not an easy one for many of us.
There were others to vote for to stop total power.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There were others to vote for to stop total power.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Of course, but many of these are single issue parties anyway. The Lib Dems turned themselves into a remainer only party, the opposite of Boris. Greens and nationalists are single issue parties with no record at all in UK governance. As much as I really do like Caroline Lucas as a person and MP the Green Party were a disaster just running Brighton. Imagine them running the country during a coronavirus outbreak. Extra kale and echinacea all round and a spurious travel ban,

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nobody has said flu is like a cold. Flu kills millions every year, which is why a vaccine is made every year of the latest strains known to scientists.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Probably already been posted:
How did Dean Koontz know about the Coronavirus 39 years ago? How did he know that it would be created in Wuhan, the place in China where it originated from? It would appear that our friend Covid-19 was created in a lab in China and has been unleashed on the world. There was a doctor in China who knew about this early on and Chinese authorities did their best to keep him quiet. He died from the virus. Is the Coronavirus China's solution to the over population of their country and the planet??

Attachments

• A866435A-C557-484C-A0BE-78990D4A6469.jpeg
    A866435A-C557-484C-A0BE-78990D4A6469.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 152
  • F2EC8A78-D6BB-4E07-B4F2-0D4E035FE6C5.jpeg
    F2EC8A78-D6BB-4E07-B4F2-0D4E035FE6C5.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 83C298BA-DFAB-453E-B5DA-4D10D8CB3E97.jpeg
    83C298BA-DFAB-453E-B5DA-4D10D8CB3E97.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 155

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

children don’t get the virus and therefore don’t pass it on;
you are more likely to die going for a drive than catching Covid-19; and
Etc.

If all the above were true then I would understand people's astonishment the amount of concern Covid-19 is generating and their apparent reluctance to accept the measures that are being taken/proposed.

However these points aren’t true.

Globally you are (but we can't count globally according to Trig).

In the UK you definitely currently are (but we can't count that according to Trig either because the numbers of people with covid-19 in the UK are currently "too low", ironically)

Perhaps in the next six to twelve weeks that may not be true but you don't know that any better than I do.

The last pandemic panic in the UK was swine flu. The worst case prediction was that 65,000 people would die from it in the UK. Fewer than 1000 in the UK actually did.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Nobody has said flu is like a cold. Flu kills millions every year, which is why a vaccine is made every year of the latest strains known to scientists.

There have been plenty of people saying Covid-19 is no worse than flu, and there have been people saying its a "new type of cold", which clearly implies they think it's trivial.

What because 15 people in the UK have a new type of cold? Ok then.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How did Dean Koontz know about the Coronavirus 39 years ago? How did he know that it would be created in Wuhan, the place in China where it originated from? It would appear that our friend Covid-19 was created in a lab in China and has been unleashed on the world. There was a doctor in China who knew about this early on and Chinese authorities did their best to keep him quiet. He died from the virus. Is the Coronavirus China's solution to the over population of their country and the planet??

Extremely sinister...…..

Just out of interest does anyone know if we do play behind closed doors are the club obligated to refund ticket money?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Globally you are (but we can't count globally according to Trig).

In the UK you definitely currently are (but we can't count that according to Trig either because the numbers of people with covid-19 in the UK are currently "too low", ironically)

Perhaps in the next six to twelve weeks that may not be true but you don't know that any better than I do.

The last pandemic panic in the UK was swine flu. The worst case prediction was that 65,000 people would die from it in the UK. Fewer than 1000 in the UK actually did.

If you got 1,000 55 year old people to go for a drive, how many would you expect to crash and die as a result?

If you gave 1,000 55 year old people Covid-19, how many would you expect to die as a result?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is Covid-19 a variant of flu?

Utterly mad panic going on right now. It's a ****ing COLD FFS.

Let it spread a bit, develop some herd immunity, watch it disappear in the summer and have a vaccine ready for the next winter flu season. People are acting like old people with respiritory problems aren't one step from death anyway.

What because 15 people in the UK have a new type of cold? Ok then.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Extremely sinister...…..

Just out of interest does anyone know if we do play behind closed doors are the club obligated to refund ticket money?

It would be extremely odd if they weren’t.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If you got 1,000 55 year old people to go for a drive, how many would you expect to crash and die as a result?

If you gave 1,000 55 year old people Covid-19, how many would you expect to die as a result?

No idea and neither do you.

However, you seem to be focussing on mortality rate per people who have actually caught the virus. The whole concept of being more likely to die in a motoring accident is because many more of us will drive a car this year than catch covid-19. In terms of actual numbers, as stated yesterday, more people die in cars every day than have died in the total outbreak thus far. If you think it's likely that the total number of infections will equal exactly the total number of people in the world eligable to drive then your example would make sense. Currently it doesn't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...rus-as-authorities-start-to-round-up-patients

Liu Zhiming one of Wuhan’s most senior doctors has died after contracting the coronavirus as authorities began a sweeping campaign inside the city to seek out patients infected with the virus.

Or

Li Wenliang: Coronavirus kills Chinese whistleblower doctor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51403795
The Guardian and BBC are simply reporting the information given out by the Chinese authorities. Sorry, but that's not really proof.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Are these pages from the same book?????

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This, then bump that figure up to 1,000,000 55 year olds go for a drive and 1,000,000 contract Covid-19 in a very short time frame and you need to hospitalise just 5% of those ?

Some awfully big numbers possibly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here