Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[tweet]1235252608845197314[/tweet]
:lol: So predicable, you'd think they'd have practiced doing the speech without her touching her face (or sticking her finger in her mouth).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An interesting insight from Chris Whitty into the modelling being used this morning...

- 50% of UK cases forecast to happen within a three-week period
- 95% of UK cases forecast to happen within a nine-week period

That would be one hell of a spike.
I first read that as meaning within 3 weeks from now, but I guess it means in the future. That will indeed be a busy time for hospitals.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not only that, but if you get it now, there'll be a hospital bed ready and waiting for you. If you get it in August, you're on your own.

Yes, probably right. I'm close to 60 but in good general health, just became a Grandad last year and so I have plenty to live for, I'm confident that if I caught it within the next 10 days or so I would hope to get through it thanks to the NHS even if I get quite severe symptoms. If I have a bad case during " The Spike " I would not be that optimistic about making it.

This sort of thing puts life very sharply in to perspective, I think we have all had it to easily for the last 60-80 years as regards ongoing improvements in health. Most of us in the Western world have seen the odd scare on the horizon such as Sars and Ebola but the arrival of Covid-19, despite being widely predicted, reminds us of how fragile life can be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, probably right. I'm close to 60 but in good general health, just became a Grandad last year and so I have plenty to live for, I'm confident that if I caught it within the next 10 days or so I would hope to get through it thanks to the NHS even if I get quite severe symptoms. If I have a bad case during " The Spike " I would not be that optimistic about making it.

This sort of thing puts life very sharply in to perspective, I think we have all had it to easily for the last 60-80 years as regards ongoing improvements in health. Most of us in the Western world have seen the odd scare on the horizon such as Sars and Ebola but the arrival of Covid-19, despite being widely predicted, reminds us of how fragile life can be.

Yet we had two isolation hospitals in the area, Bevendean and Foredown which were closed down.
1952 There was a smallpox outbreak in Brighton, and TB was only just starting to be conquered in the early 60s, along with polio.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know what you have to do!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Like AIDS, like SARS, like Ebola, like the Millennium bug, like bird flu.

All these have been massively overhyped by Governments, media etc, but there are still more humans alive now than have excisted in the history of mankind.

AIDS, I admit has killed quite a few, but, it was never the plague that we were told it would be for the general population.

Comparing AIDS and ebola to the Millennium bug? ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yet we had two isolation hospitals in the area, Bevendean and Foredown which were closed down.
1952 There was a smallpox outbreak in Brighton, and TB was only just starting to be conquered in the early 60s, along with polio.

None of them seemed such a big threat to general society as this though.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Bit of a storm brewing at work. A colleague has spent the last 5 days in Venice and is due back to work tomorrow.

Should she be made to self isolate for two weeks before coming back ?

How would you feel if you were her colleague and she came back to work straight away ?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Bit of a storm brewing at work. A colleague has spent the last 5 days in Venice and is due back to work tomorrow.

How would you feel if you were her colleague and she came back to work straight away ?

Who comes back to work on a Friday? Fire her on the spot.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Boris on This Morning talking out of his arse like normal [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Your explanation of yourself is perfect vegster to make my own point, 60, and a loving Grandad......... because I am absolutely fuming with Boris right now for even uttering what he is quoted as saying on the BBC.

I did vote for Bojo in the GE as a leaver, centrist and totally not in the Corbyn camp, for me he was the least worst, accepting his many faults and that he is a pathological liar.

a week ago he stood there and said directly to the country "my government will STOP AT NOTHING to prevent the spread of coronavirus"

1 week later, Israel has effectively shut its border, any foreign national from a country with more than 100 cases must show proof of self quarantine arrangements on arrival (who would go there now). Many other countries have closed their borders and either stopped flights from larger hotspot areas or forcing all from those areas into quarantine.

We fight the fire with empty words while leaving the door wide open to more burning people to walk in.

Then today he now says this:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government's scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) was considering a range of options to delay the spread of the disease.

He told ITV's This Morning programme that Sage had told him measures such as closing schools and banning big events "don't work as well perhaps as people think".

Another way of responding to the virus would be to "take it on the chin" and allow it to "move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures", Mr Johnson said.

"I think we need to strike a balance," he added.

from his government stopping at nothing to stop it to doing absolutely nothing to stop it within 7 days?, "take it on the chin" and be willing to sacrifice your parents , grandparents and those family with pre-existing conditions.

Im sure this is best for the city, industry, NHS budgets and you can bet your life that it wont reach number 10, but how the f*ck can the government even make such a suggestion?

It may well get to that point where its to late, and probably will, but until it does, I'd expect nothing less than the government doing what it promised a week ago, the original doing everything to protect citizens and stop the spread for as long as possible, including closing schools and cancelling events if needs be, because there will be 1000's of extra grandads and parents who will spend next Christmas with their grand kids/kids because of it.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Many airlines now starting to make plans to expect a downturn this summer.

BA today told staff that they expect to enforce periods of unpaid leave, offers of roles moving to part-time for a period of time. Finnair started a period of consultation for short term lay offs. Lufthansa planning reduction of capacity of about 20%

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Your explanation of yourself is perfect vegster to make my own point, 60+ and a loving Grandad......... because I am absolutely fuming with Boris right now for even uttering what he is quoted as saying on the BBC.

I did vote for Bojo in the GE as a leaver, centrist and totally not in the Corbyn camp, for me he was the least worst, accepting his many faults and that he is a pathological liar.

a week ago he stood there and said directly to the country "my government will STOP AT NOTHING to prevent the spread of coronavirus"

1 week later, Israel has effectively shut its border, any foreign national from a country with more than 100 cases must show proof of self quarantine arrangements on arrival (who would go there now). Many other countries have closed their borders and either stopped flights from larger hotspot areas or forcing all from those areas into quarantine.

We fight the fire with empty words while leaving the door wide open to more burning people to walk in.

Then today he now says this:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government's scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) was considering a range of options to delay the spread of the disease.

He told ITV's This Morning programme that Sage had told him measures such as closing schools and banning big events "don't work as well perhaps as people think".

Another way of responding to the virus would be to "take it on the chin" and allow it to "move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures", Mr Johnson said.

"I think we need to strike a balance," he added.

from his government stopping at nothing to stop it to doing absolutely nothing to stop it within 7 days?, "take it on the chin" and be willing to sacrifice your parents , grandparents and those family with pre-existing conditions.

Im sure this is best for the city, industry, NHS budgets and you can bet your life that it wont reach number 10, but how the f*ck can the government even make such a suggestion?

It may well get to that point where its to late, and probably will, but until it does, I'd expect nothing less than the government doing what it promised a week ago, the original doing everything to protect citizens and stop the spread for as long as possible, including closing schools and cancelling events if needs be, because there will be 1000's of extra grandads and parents who will spend next Christmas with their grand kids/kids because of it.

With respect. Voting for him is almost criminal negligence. We will all have to take it on the chin, even those of us who knew he was an absolute *******

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Blimey, the "Bell cheeses at work" thread just went to a whole new level

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Any decent company should have BCP / work at home arrangements. So should be no problem for her to self isolate?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I'm afraid this is something we'll have to get used to. The PM is, essentially, lazy, and if he thinks he can get away with doing nothing about something he will. The warning signs were there when he tried to prorogue Parliament to force through No Deal without scrutiny, then when he just signed up to whatever the EU were offering and went into hiding again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought it was difficult/expensive to test for it, so why are they testing random people who don't have symptoms?

Dunno..it was on brekkie tv this morning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here