Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only thing I'm worried about is having my everyday life and travel plans f***ed over by knee-jerk corporate and governmental over-reaction to absurd levels of media hysteria surrounding the thing

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
At 64 and in general good health I'm feeling that the press may be over hyping this. But then again they may have a point. Semi retired I've not stocked up (unlike Brexit) but do have plans to get long life milk and a few extras next shop.
My main concern is that I employ two people to work my business and without either of them I'd have to close. Also, unsure if closed I could afford to pay them two weeks sick pay with no income.

I hope everything goes all right for you mate. :thumbsup:

I was going to say that the media are getting into a frenzy over this and IMO they are. Obviously I'm worried about my parents the most (contradicted myself a bit with post above) but they are sensible and wash their hands every 2-3 hours, especially if they've been out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has anyone done the maths based on today’s increase? If not they have now.

Now 85 cases from 51 yesterday (about 60% increase). Now into ramping up phase! Some data geeks doing modelling will be loving this.

Same rate for a week means 2281 cases.

Another week would be 61k.

Another week 1.6million.

So three weeks today could be that high! Obviously might not happen but there you go.

I posted this yesterday on the other thread. There's no great shock as to how this grows...

Indeed. Where do those (not you) think this graph is heading?

View attachment 120672

I'm far from being a virology expert (obviously), but I know enough about mathematical modelling to believe it's not about to level off any time soon.'

Fortunately it's only mild sniffles.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Jonathan Mok, a student from Singapore, who has been in the UK for two years, was beaten up by four thugs in Oxford Street.

He added: “The guy who tried to kick me then said, 'I don't want your coronavirus in my country', before swinging another sucker punch at me, which resulted in my face exploding with blood from my nose, where the blood was splattered all across the pavement.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-images-oxford-street-singapore-a9374456.html

Powerful instincts at work, think the Americas and smallpox and flu. .:down: I tell people if you must blame someone then blame the communists or totalitarian systems, if you must.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I posted this yesterday on the other thread. There's no great shock as to how this grows...

Fortunately it's only mild sniffles.

I am about as far as an expert as you can get because obviously people are only contagious for so long etc. For argument sake, if it did stay at 60% increase a day until the end of the month then 84 becomes 25 million.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Has anyone done the maths based on today’s increase? If not they have now.

Now 85 cases from 51 yesterday (about 60% increase). Now into ramping up phase! Some data geeks doing modelling will be loving this.

Same rate for a week means 2281 cases.

Another week would be 61k.

Another week 1.6million.

So three weeks today could be that high! Obviously might not happen but there you go.

This graph (below) was posted yesterday on the other main coronavirus thread, it's an exponential curve, that no doubt will go parabolic for a while.

Indeed. Where do those (not you) think this graph is heading?

View attachment 120672

I'm far from being a virology expert (obviously), but I know enough about mathematical modelling to believe it's not about to level off any time soon.'

Would hazard a wild guess at 1000+ in UK by end of March as it accelerates? I read this morning of estimates of May in 7-8 weeks of it being out of control here.

Time will soon tell.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Are you worried about getting Coronavirus ?

Everyone must be to a degree. However In 2017, over 42,000 people died from heart and circulatory diseases in the UK before the age of 75, a rise of just over 3 per cent on the 41,042 in 2014. Among under-65s, there were 18,668 deaths in 2017, up almost 4 per cent on the 17,982 five years.

You see I get this viewpoint - I do. And the comparative figures on deaths from the flu, etc. But the difference with those figures are that they all involve long-term 'trends' that we are already aware of and working on treating, so although the figures are a concern, they're not overly unexpected. Its been a long term problem we've had to cope with.

This is different though. At this point we really have no idea at the moment how this will play out. And we've had these health scares before with swine flu, ebola etc, but I don't recall seeing a virus which, within a few weeks, has caused major sporting events to be played behind closed doors, with the prospect of complete cancellation. And all this could be just the beginning. We don't know.

That, for me, is the worry. We don't yet know how big this is going to get. Hopefully it'll all die down soon and we can return to normal, but all the while its still escalating, its most certainly a worry.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hence why a third of registered voters did not vote at the last election.

Not sure the % would have been much different with a more appealing cast, political apathy runs very deep in these lands.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would hazard a wild guess at 1000+ in UK by end of March as it accelerates? I read this morning of estimates of May in 7-8 weeks of it being out of control here.

Time will soon tell.

At current growth rates, there will be significantly more than 1,000 by the end of the month.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Personally a bit concerned as I'm in the higher risk group for complications. Same rationale as with seasonal flu (qualifying for the flu jab etc), but this of course is a bit different in that it's likely to be 'more infectious' due to the lack of any pre-existing immunity. On the other hand, flu viruses mutate pretty much every year into new strains, so it's hard to know where to place concern levels right now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
1,000 or 0.00001% of the population?

Pulborough Tescos are out of hand wash, antiseptic wipes, pasta and tins of veg are low, ridiculous.

Last week saw someone on the tube with a face mask, hands touching everywhere including the handrail on the escalator and then got on the platform, pulled mask off and ate a sandwich FFS!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This graph (below) was posted yesterday on the other main coronavirus thread, it's an exponential curve, that no doubt will go parabolic for a while.

Time will soon tell.

Or warmer weather in April / May and the spread subsides?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I guess, as a club, we'd benefit most from playing behind closed doors as the players wouldn't notice the difference :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here