Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Isn't the fact we have a similar number of cases WITH restrictions in place even more worrying?

Similar number of cases? ??? :facepalm: You have to be kidding me, we are doing 250k tests per day now, back in April when we had our ‘peak’ infections we were doing between 15-20k tests, the infection rates back then were astronomically higher than they are now, hence why the hospital rates and seriously ill are increasing at a 5 times slower rate than the first ‘wave’

The fact a professor who is clearly an extremely intelligent man, would even make the quote that we are in a similar place to when we went into lockdown the first time is absolutely misleading, anyone with half a brain cell looking at the numbers can see that and it does stink of the government again, attempting to use fear to control peoples actions.

Not to [MENTION=14080]The Wizard[/MENTION] no, he has made his mind up and that's all there is to it...

I’m not making my mind up on anything, I’ve always said this is complex but I do take issue with scientists deliberately misrepresenting facts, hence why I explained the numbers on the previous page. Which clearly show he’s talking poppycock.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Similar number of cases? ??? :facepalm: You have to be kidding me, we are doing 250k tests per day now, back in April when we had our ‘peak’ infections we were doing between 15-20k tests, the infection rates back then were astronomically higher than they are now, hence why the hospital rates and seriously ill are increasing at a 5 times slower rate than the first ‘wave’

The fact a professor who is clearly an extremely intelligent man, would even make the quote that we are in a similar place to when we went into lockdown the first time is absolutely misleading, anyone with half a brain cell looking at the numbers can see that and it does stink of the government again, attempting to use fear to control peoples actions.

I’m not making my mind up on anything, I’ve always said this is complex but I do take issue with scientists deliberately misrepresenting facts, hence why I explained the numbers on the previous page. Which clearly show he’s talking poppycock.

So an extremely intelligent man is talking shit, but someone with half a brain cell can see he is wrong? You, I am assuming the half a brain cell person, has managed to debunk his work with a few well placed figures. Really? Does that make sense in your head, as reading it, it clearly doesn't to me.

As said, you have your feeling on these matters and that is it...

Yes the infection rates were higher in March, and yes the scientists are using scare tactics to try and get people to understand how serious things could be getting again soon, but you carry on sticking your head in the sand, and like Donald Trump, sorry [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] I am sure you will be fine, as clearly you are both fit and healthy specimens of mankind.

Yoda

English & European
Isn't the fact we have a similar number of cases WITH restrictions in place even more worrying?

Because the majority of transmission isn't happening in places that are restricted. Only last week the places with where most infections were as follows:

38% Schools/Universities (mostly universities looking at the news headlines)
26% Workplace
18% Carehomes (I see Hancock is still doing a fantastic job protecting these)
10% Other (community based transmission. eg. visiting friends & family, pubs, shops)
04% Hospitals
04% Food Outlets/Restaurants

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So an extremely intelligent man is talking shit, but someone with half a brain cell can see he is wrong? You, I am assuming the half a brain cell person, has managed to debunk his work with a few well placed figures. Really? Does that make sense in your head, as reading it, it clearly doesn't to me.

As said, you have your feeling on these matters and that is it...

Yes the infection rates were higher in March, and yes the scientists are using scare tactics to try and get people to understand how serious things could be getting again soon, but you carry on sticking your head in the sand, and like Donald Trump, sorry [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] I am sure you will be fine, as clearly you are both fit and healthy specimens of mankind.

Your last paragraph basically accepts the point I’ve made with my posts today, scientists shouldn’t be misleading the public with phrases like the one he used, quite rightly scientists hold a lot of power with the public and so misleading people by comparing our situation now to when we locked down is negligent.

Inducing fear in people, when many peoples mental health is already at rock bottom, is dreadful.

Besides, it’s clear we are never going to agree based on previous. I’ve explained my thoughts behind my ideas many times and we’ve got nowhere so perhaps best we just agree to disagree, rather than aiming sarcastic comments at me.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Your last paragraph basically accepts the point I’ve made with my posts today, scientists shouldn’t be misleading the public with phrases like the one he used, quite rightly scientists hold a lot of power with the public and so misleading people by comparing our situation now to when we locked down is negligent.

Inducing fear in people, when many peoples mental health is already at rock bottom, is dreadful.

Besides, it’s clear we are never going to agree based on previous. I’ve explained my thoughts behind my ideas many times and we’ve got nowhere so perhaps best we just agree to disagree, rather than aiming sarcastic comments at me.

Agree we won’t agree...

Take care and stay safe (and no, I’m not being sarcastic) :D

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Because the majority of transmission isn't happening in places that are restricted. Only last week the places with where most infections were as follows:

38% Schools/Universities (mostly universities looking at the news headlines)
26% Workplace
18% Carehomes (I see Hancock is still doing a fantastic job protecting these)
10% Other (community based transmission. eg. visiting friends & family, pubs, shops)
04% Hospitals
04% Food Outlets/Restaurants

I suppose the only slight positive is that if Universities are locked down and contained as they seem to be at the moment, isn't it possible we might see some localised herd immunity happen?

Still worrying they might have to bring in more restrictions, although would need to look at the regional variations in the data.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Cases? You couldn’t even get tests in March or April unless you were hospital bound (I know because I had it) so how can you or anyone even get close to comparison? Looks like you’ve been debunked for fake news [emoji23]

The fact of the matter is we have the same amount of positive tests (or similar). The problem with people infected with viruses is they tend to give it to other people and infect them. The government and experts (and me for what it's worth) are quite keen to stop this happening so have presented the data that way.

This has to happen because emotional stunted people with an overly inflated opinion of themselves are all over the internet with out of context memes because they are too selfish to put a mask on and look after their fellow citizens so it isn't really the time for a lecture in stats.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The fact of the matter is we have the same amount of positive tests (or similar). The problem with people infected with viruses is they tend to give it to other people and infect them. The government and experts (and me for what it's worth) are quite keen to stop this happening so have presented the data that way.

This has to happen because emotional stunted people with an overly inflated opinion of themselves are all over the internet with out of context memes because they are too selfish to put a mask on and look after their fellow citizens so it isn't really the time for a lecture in stats.

But you could only get a test if you were hospitalised first time around. Now with seriously massive increases in testing we are still only getting the same amount of cases the vast vast majority of which don’t need to go to hospital.

Now come on, don’t do yourself a discredit or insult your own intelligence by saying you don’t understand that means that in the first wave there would have been a huge amount more actual cases non hospitalised and untested than we are currently seeing now. Simple math easily debunks your post.

Sorry, the rest of your post just seems to be incoherent waffle that isn’t even related to my initial post so I’ll leave it there.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
But you could only get a test if you were hospitalised first time around. Now with seriously massive increases in testing we are still only getting the same amount of cases the vast vast majority of which don’t need to go to hospital.

Now come on, don’t do yourself a discredit or insult your own intelligence by saying you don’t understand that means that in the first wave there would have been a huge amount more actual cases non hospitalised and untested than we are currently seeing now. Simple math easily debunks your post.

Sorry, the rest of your post just seems to be incoherent waffle that isn’t even related to my initial post so I’ll leave it there.

Are we really doing this again?

'Jonathan Van-Tam told MPs that intensive care units in the North West could be full within three weeks as the latest figures show there are now 3,090 Covid-19 patients being treated in English hospitals. This is just seven fewer than on March 23, when the national lockdown was imposed.

On Wednesday, 491 new patients were admitted to hospitals, close to the 586 on March 19 — the week before Boris Johnson gave his 'stay at home' order.'

Can you please explain what actual people turning up at hospitals and needing treatment due to Covid has to do with comparative testing rates between March and now?

Now if you are suggesting the Daily Mail could have picked a better headline then that is fair enough, but if you actually really the article there is much cause for concern.

I am sure as I lack intelligence it won't be hard for you to educate me.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
You’ve chosen one corner of our country as proof the whole country currently has the same amount of cases as the first wave? Look at the stats in the south and stop digging yourself a very big horrible hole. Come on you do admit that simple maths of tests vs cases now and then shows we are no where near the same place at the moment? Please tell me you can work that out?

Edit: this should help you.

eb8eab30df406c12989745ef56b0d560.jpg

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You’ve chosen one corner of our country as proof the whole country currently has the same amount of cases as the first wave? Look at the stats in the south and stop digging yourself a very big horrible hole. Come on you do admit that simple maths of tests vs cases now and then shows we are no where near the same place at the moment? Please tell me you can work that out?

Edit: this should help you.

eb8eab30df406c12989745ef56b0d560.jpg

You are certainly offering good arguments for Covid-19 damaging people's mental health as your narcissism is becoming more prevalent.

To recap:

Newspapers pick headlines, not the interviewee.
You quite obviously only read the headline
I actually read the article and produced some quotes that have nothing to do with the headline to illustrate it is being oversimplified.
The North West of England is, last time I checked, attached to the rest of the country and as I write this no restrictions on travelling in and out of the area exist.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You are certainly offering good arguments for Covid-19 damaging people's mental health as your narcissism is becoming more prevalent.

To recap:

I actually read the article and produced some quotes that have nothing to do with the headline to illustrate it is being oversimplified.
The North West of England is, last time I checked, attached to the rest of the country and as I write this no restrictions on travelling in and out of the area exist.

Think we need to build a wall and get the Mancs to pay for it...!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

To recap:

Just wow. You wrote this supporting the statement, not a newspaper. And it’s obviously complete nonsense based on simple math. You then had the audacity to talk about a cycle where you end up debunking posts. You’ve just bee totally debunked yourself and are know desperately trying to move goalposts. Please please just stop for your own good. In fact this will be my last word on the debate because it feels cruel to keep arguing with you when anyone can see how stupid the statement below is.

282cd1797a6f4a05c60760eda49b2b0a.jpg

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
'BCG: Can a vaccine from 1921 save lives from Covid-19?'

(BCG is the one that many of us of a certain age got at school when we got to about age 14 that left that scar on your arm)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54465733

surprising more hasnt been more about this. evidence from research before covid showed BCG vaccine is effective general anti-viral, seem it primes the immune system.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Just wow. You wrote this supporting the statement, not a newspaper. And it’s obviously complete nonsense based on simple math. You then had the audacity to talk about a cycle where you end up debunking posts. You’ve just bee totally debunked yourself and are know desperately trying to move goalposts. Please please just stop for your own good. In fact this will be my last word on the debate because it feels cruel to keep arguing with you when anyone can see how stupid the statement below is.

282cd1797a6f4a05c60760eda49b2b0a.jpg

'feels cruel to keep arguing with you when anyone can see how stupid the statement below is'

I hope you go away and reflect on how that sentence is more of a comment on you then it is on me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here