Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyone else been getting ill quite a lot since lockdown? I've probably had four or five different coughs/colds since March and can't really understand where I'm getting them from. I guess the recent ones are likely to have come from my daughter's nursery.

I've had my third test this week - still waiting for the result - but I almost feel like I'm wasting time getting them now!

considered hayfever or other allergies?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Leeds under pressure

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-leeds-added-to-areas-of-concern-list-after-rise-in-coronavirus-cases-rachel-reeves-says-12063432

leeds.JPG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great, now we are taking health advice on a Pandemic from the members of Loose Women, sack the WHO and bring out the shrieking lunchtime ladies......

Tomorrow, the perils of alcohol by Carol McGiffin!

I see this thread is also going well. :facepalm:

If our dear dim government could work out some way to protect the old and immunosuppressed I'd happily see everyone else just go back to normal. However our dim government is clueless. We lurch from one stupid thing to the next. Covid has not just gone away :shrug:

Anyway, at least we have left the EU with a brilliant deal. All is well.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
interesting to bring Europe into it, what are they doing differently? last time i checked cases were rising quite a bit in France, Germany, Portgual and Greece, put down tourism spreading it about. over all there is now similar case numbers to end of March/early April. so far the mortalit rate hasnt ticked up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Great, now we are taking health advice on a Pandemic from the members of Loose Women, sack the WHO and bring out the shrieking lunchtime ladies......

Tomorrow, the perils of alcohol by Carol McGiffin!

Well the Who have just employed one of the head bods from Sweden so next stop Katie Price!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
3000 new cases in the last 24 hours? This is a worrying rise, right?

On the surface, yes it is - but we have to be careful of the interpretation of a single day's data. As I've posted a number of times on the good news thread, case data alone isn't that useful. Cases have indeed been rising over the course of the last few weeks, but they've largely been comensurate with an increase in testing. It's the percentage of people testing positive that gives us the best, most contectual view of the direction of travel.

For the last seven days of August, the average % of tests providing a postive result was 0.71% - having stayed largely flat since the beginning of July. Today's figures equate to 1.70%. That's an almost 2.5x increase in the space of just a few days. It's either incredibly concerning, or a significant data anomaly - something we've seen before. My money is on the latter.

We shouldn't dismiss it, France, Spain and Germany are all reporting big rises in cases, but I wouldn't be sh*tting the bed just yet over one day's figures either.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
On the surface, yes it is - but we have to be careful of the interpretation of a single day's data. As I've posted a number of times on the good news thread, case data alone isn't that useful. Cases have indeed been rising over the course of the last few weeks, but they've largely been comensurate with an increase in testing. It's the percentage of people testing positive that gives us the best, most contectual view of the direction of travel.

For the last seven days of August, the average % of tests providing a postive result was 0.71% - having stayed largely flat since the beginning of July. Today's figures equate to 1.70%. That's an almost 2.5x increase in the space of just a few days. It's either incredibly concerning, or a significant data anomaly - something we've seen before. My money is on the latter.

We shouldn't dismiss it, France, Spain and Germany are all reporting big rises in cases, but I wouldn't be sh*tting the bed just yet over one day's figures either.

How are these tests targeted? Is it still only people with symptoms that are supposed to get tested? Presumably there are certain jobs that require ongoing, repeat tests? Either would skew the figures for the population as a whole.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Anyone else think this is slightly weird? Anyone STILL not got a tingle that something very fishy is going on?

they are reporting the "Diagnostic Test instruments and apparatus" shipped. this is standard equipment, currently used in detecting Covid-19.

what you want to do is ask why your source has presented this information, deep linked in to a site, to push an agenda. what do you think that agenda is?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
On the rise again here, so going back to strict regime again on the 9th.
To top it off, a woman i slept with last week, phoned me this evening to tell me her daughter has tested positive, and I need to get checked. Triff.

Yoda

English & European
3000 new cases in the last 24 hours? This is a worrying rise, right?

Not yet I would say.

The following is what I posted on the BBC News YouTube piece on this latest development:

Can we stop focusing on the number of new cases on the day they are reported and focus on the day the test was submitted? This give a more accurate picture, because of the number of testing being carried out up North it is taking longer for the results to come back. For some reason we are processing 75,000 less test then the supposed capacity per day. Of the tests we are processing, 0.867% are positive base on the 7 day average.

Results from each day of specimen are as follows (to put thing into better perspective):
28th Aug: 1615
29th Aug: 1229
30th Aug: 1142
31st Aug: 1358
1st Sep: 2135
2nd Sep: 2139
3rd Sep: 1937

A 7 day average of 1650.

I've not moved on from the 3rd as those figures will change dramatically due to the back log and also because Northern Ireland doesn't post their data over the weekend.

The 7 day average for Hospital admissions continues to fall since the slow rise in cases towards the end of July, as does the number of people in Hospital and the number on ventilators as well as the 7 day average for the number dying with Covid.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Anyone else think this is slightly weird? Anyone STILL not got a tingle that something very fishy is going on?

6d2f11ba5b3b54491cba97c29a7ac3a3.jpg

https://wits.worldbank.org/trade/co...w/Exports/partner/WLD/nomen/h5/product/902780

tingle .....tingle ffs ....wakey wakey ......here's a tit bit for you , an ex girlfriend of mines older sister has worked for the gates foundation for 15 years , she comes to oz with her husband probably every other Christmas , yes surprise surprise they are ****ing minted , they bring their golf clubs and we all jump on helicopters and fly all over the shop , they both work for the gates foundation in seattle ....there is now a very murky line between they have been planning for this pandemic for 5 years and they have been panning for this plandemic for 5 years , my youngest daughters boyfriends dad works for the UN ......he drives a 180 k lexus ffs.....wakey wakey ....tingle ..?? tingle...???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here