Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Yoda

English & European
What the **** is wrong with this shower of shit

Face mask mandatory now? Why not months ago?

How does anyone have any faith in this lot?

Why do we always do thing different to the Global advice?

masks-2.png

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Bus was pretty full today, why not whilst in the shops? Why not as the advice changed last week?

It’s just more scatter gun policy.

I’m not against masks, but people have been travelling on public transport for weeks.

Most shops will limit people entering and enforce social distancing, its impossible to socially distance on most tubes or buses, and it will be even more difficult on the 15th when usage will go up massively.

I get what you’re saying though I wore a mask on the bus the other day and I was surprised that nobody else was, it was very empty though and people were well apart so I don’t think it was an issue then, it will be an issue if nobody does when the usage increases.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bus was pretty full today, why not whilst in the shops? Why not as the advice changed last week?

It’s just more scatter gun policy.

I’m not against masks, but people have been travelling on public transport for weeks.

theory is people feel they need them to have confidence to go out, which only works if pretty much everyone is wearing them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Most shops will limit people entering and enforce social distancing, its impossible to socially distance on most tubes or buses, and it will be even more difficult on the 15th when usage will go up massively.

I get what you’re saying though I wore a mask on the bus the other day and I was surprised that nobody else was, it was very empty though and people were well apart so I don’t think it was an issue then, it will be an issue if nobody does when the usage increases.

I agree with you on most things but this I disagree haha

I’ve not been to London since it kicked off, but surely on the underground this would have had benefit even with fewer numbers.

Could have been brought in when this first kicked off as well.

We are just late to everything.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So, there was no answer who was going to police the wearing of masks on public transport, nor who is going to stop those who legitimately don't have to wear one from getting bullied... Or will they have to wear a sign, saying "it's alright, I'm disabled"... Another poorly thought through process which appears to fly in the face of so much advise from elsewhere!

Someone must smoke a lot of cigarettes in cabinet, as there seems to be a mountain of fag packets for policy changes to get written on!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Highest number of new cases in Brighton and hove since april. 8 in a day. It's an Argus report and I've maxed out my argus reading so cant read further detail

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, there was no answer who was going to police the wearing of masks on public transport, nor who is going to stop those who legitimately don't have to wear one from getting bullied... Or will they have to wear a sign, saying "it's alright, I'm disabled"... Another poorly thought through process which appears to fly in the face of so much advise from elsewhere!

Someone must smoke a lot of cigarettes in cabinet, as there seems to be a mountain of fag packets for policy changes to get written on!

Give it another month, hmgov will make face coverings compulsory in supermarkets also

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Highest number of new cases in Brighton and hove since april. 8 in a day. It's an Argus report and I've maxed out my argus reading so cant read further detail

Am I reading this correctly

The total number of confirmed cases has risen by eight in a single day, the largest daily increase since April.

8? The Argos reports as a “sharp rise”

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

The total number of confirmed cases has risen by eight in a single day, the largest daily increase since April.

It’s the usual Argus clickbait. 8 does mark an increase but without the exact details of this it’s difficult to know if this is one of those clusters for example a group who might have broken the rules and all caught it in one go, a family household of 8 or is it 8 individuals unrelated?

Even so, 8 in a 300000 population doesn’t exactly constitute a sharp rise, given the freedoms we have now a compared to the 8th April clusters of infections is to be expected. Media and newspapers have angered me so much throughout this whole thing.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

That's what got me. The argus has been shocking throughout this pandemic and it seems to be yet more attempts to scare people

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s the usual Argus clickbait. 8 does mark an increase but without the exact details of this it’s difficult to know if this is one of those clusters for example a group who might have broken the rules and all caught it in one go, a family household of 8 or is it 8 individuals unrelated?

Even so, 8 in a 300000 population doesn’t exactly constitute a sharp rise, given the freedoms we have now a compared to the 8th April clusters of infections is to be expected. Media and newspapers have angered me so much throughout this whole thing.

As always it’s the story behind a number .....and sharp..pffft

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I've been following that number on a daily basis for about 6-8 weeks. 8 is quite high for recent weeks, when it's been rising at the rate of 2 or so a day, but it puts us on 457 and, given this only kicked off big time just over two months ago, it puts that into perspective. This means it was rising probably 20/30 cases a day at the high point. The 8 figure is moderately alarming, but it will have to be sustained for a while at that or higher levels for it to be concerning.
The Argus are just trying to sell papers, and fear sells. As does football. They don't really do too much else, and that's why they're dying a slow death.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

The argus have a complete gem today. They have conducted a survey of 1000 people and 85% want a localised lockdown of brighton and hove

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've been following that number on a daily basis for about 6-8 weeks. 8 is quite high for recent weeks, when it's been rising at the rate of 2 or so a day, but it puts us on 457 and, given this only kicked off big time just over two months ago, it puts that into perspective. This means it was rising probably 20/30 cases a day at the high point. The 8 figure is moderately alarming, but it will have to be sustained for a while at that or higher levels for it to be concerning.
The Argus are just trying to sell papers, and fear sells. As does football. They don't really do too much else, and that's why they're dying a slow death.

Could this be an explanation from b&h independent

But Alistair Hill, director of public health for Brighton and Hove City Council, says the numbers of new infections in Brighton is so low that it’s impossible to calculate an accurate R number.

Last week, the app calculated the R number for Brighton and Hove was 1.68, the fourth highest figures in the country – but this was based on a rise of confirmed cases of just eight, from 10 to 18.

He says he expects the rate calculated by the app to rise in the coming weeks purely because results from the Amex testing centre will begin to be included in official figures

And tests – and therefore confirmed cases – will also ramp up when the test and trace system begins in earnest

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Could this be an explanation from b&h independent

But Alistair Hill, director of public health for Brighton and Hove City Council, says the numbers of new infections in Brighton is so low that it’s impossible to calculate an accurate R number.

Last week, the app calculated the R number for Brighton and Hove was 1.68, the fourth highest figures in the country – but this was based on a rise of confirmed cases of just eight, from 10 to 18.

He says he expects the rate calculated by the app to rise in the coming weeks purely because results from the Amex testing centre will begin to be included in official figures

And tests – and therefore confirmed cases – will also ramp up when the test and trace system begins in earnest

As Hong Kong Fuey says: could be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here