Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So many scientists, so little common sense...

The thing with scientists, their strength is also occasionally their weakness. They have to prove everything, prove it again, peer review it, test, wait for a white paper etc etc.

How many times do you hear them say "there's no proof" when there's a lot of anecdotal evidence floating around and to everyone else the answer seems pretty obvious.

Having just had a kid I've found the subject of pregnancy is terrible for this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having just had a kid I've found the subject of pregnancy is terrible for this.

Yes indeed. My wife "had" gestational diabetes with our second. Her blood sugar score at her test was right at the lowest level to be counted. She had to prick her finger every day for a test and it never went that high again. In fact the scientists had lowered the level at which you were diagnosed so they could have a big enough study group.

And don't even start me on how no one would give you a straight answer on Vitamin K.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know it’s been ridiculed by some but the Imperial College’s estimate of 260,000 deaths if we had not had a lot lockdown actually seems like it was a fair prediction now.

In reality we’ve actually had more like 60,000-70,000 fatalities based on the excess deaths data. I don’t think it’s that hard to believe that the number could’ve quadrupled with no restrictions in place and therefore no protection of the NHS.

the estimate was 500k (give or take 80k each time the model was run). the excess deaths includes at least 13k to date that are not Covid, and we dont know how many covid infections were as a consequnce of protecting the NHS.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Latest figures today 200 deaths and 1500 odd new infections. Still going down despite lockdown easing and we had more infections when in lockdown so it appears the virus is weakening and fizzling out maybe?

you mean to say there wont be a 2nd wave and we all wont die afterall ?

phew

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
IMG-20200607-WA0000.jpg

Yoda

English & European

That's missing vital information at the end.

- Contact tracer will text/email the people the person confirmed with coronavirus to let them know that have been in contact with someone who has tested positive.

- Those people will ignore the message assuming it's some kind of scam

- Contact tracer will then attempt to phone above people

- Those people will ignore and block the unknown number assuming it's ..............:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Cor Matt Hancock REALLY doesn't like being pushed on the fact they've completely torn up all of their own guidelines for lockdown does he.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
'What are you going to do if the R number does drift above 1'.

'Well I don't want it to'

Oh right.

They're an utter shambles, and they're the reason for why:
-- we have the second highest number of deaths
-- we have the second highest number of deaths per capita
-- we will be in (some version of a) lockdown for the longest, or close to the longest, which means that ...
-- ... the impact on the UK economy will hit the hardest

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To be fair Matty boy can only do as he's told. He,like most others in government have made mistakes and as health minister has taken some flak. He has worked harder than most others especially Boris who we only see every now and again.

Rubbish.
He is the health minister in a national health crisis and he has totally ballsed it up and sent thousands to there death in care homes and others.
He is now hiding figures and plain lying if he had any shred of decency he would walk, along with Johnson and Cummings who are pulling the strings but hiding in the fridge.
It's a farce and a scandal of epic proportions, as a country this was the major issue to get right after many mistakes and we have totally muffed it.
I would have this government publicly flogged and chucked in the Thames.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Rubbish.
He is the health minister in a national health crisis and he has totally ballsed it up and sent thousands to there death in care homes and others.

did he though? same policy followed in Scotland and Wales with devolved health services.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wonder if [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] will be around considering this latest report, published in Nature indicating that lockdown in Europe has reduced the infection rate by 81% and prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...083999a26dc3e9#block-5ede38108f083999a26dc3e9

One report by one group based on various assumptions ....stick ten of that lot in a room all with their models ..you”ll get ten different answers

Oh and here’s one bit from it which isn’t so nice to digest

The model also predicted that the outbreak would be nearly over by now without lockdown, as so many people would have been infected.
More than seven in 10 people in the UK would have had Covid, leading to herd immunity and the virus no longer spreading.
Instead, the researchers estimate that up to 15 million people across Europe had been infected by the beginning of May.
The researchers say at most, 4% of the population in those countries had been infected.
"Claims this is all over can be firmly rejected. We are only at the beginning of this pandemic," said Dr Flaxman.
And it means that as lockdowns start to lift, there is the risk the virus could start to spread again.
"There is a very real risk if mobility goes back up there could be a second wave coming reasonably soon, in the next month or two," said Dr Samir Bhatt.

Then of course this relates to the above

The researchers used disease modelling to predict how many deaths there would have been if lockdown had not happened. And the work comes from the same group that guided the UK's decision to go into lockdown.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here