Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I believe there is clear evidence that it doesn't spread as well outside, but I'm not going to search for that evidence.

Yes, and of that I have no doubt. I was remarking as I have seen lots of posts stating that it won't spread well in a hot, sunny climate. This is clearly untrue as there are other factors at work, not just the mitigating effect of the sunshine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So Tory MP's were whipped into ditching the electronic voting?

Three line I believe, those who were planning to rebel were threatened with expulsion. Indeed several Tory MPs are reported to have bemoaned the issue and then voted for it for this reason.

[TWEET]1267846174133927936[/TWEET]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Three line I believe, those who were planning to rebel were threatened with expulsion. Indeed several Tory MPs are reported to have bemoaned the issue and then voted for it for this reason.

[TWEET]1267846174133927936[/TWEET]

That is absolutely shocking, imagine if that happened in a company. Vote to go back to the office or you are sacked.

Sharma yesterday reminded me of the Iranian minister earlier this year, what an earth was he doing in parliament in that state?

Every day you think it can't get any worse, but it does...

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Right Johnson, you've had your 10 weeks (more actually) since announcing lockdown. The social contract was a) we give up our freedom, and b) you get this virus under control. We avoid over-burdening the NHS by "flattening the curve". You get Track and Trace working. Oh, and the App gets rolled out (remember that?).

Today, Track and Trace seems to be a manual process involving 25,000 staff, many of whom (probably most) are minimum wage, and untrained. There is no App. Deaths are falling largely despite the Government measures, not because of them. New infections remain worryingly high, even in lockdown, and nobody seems to know why..

So now, instead of easing measures, the Government strengthens them. It announces quarantine from 8th June. That will be 11 weeks from 23rd March. You gracefully promise to review that measure on 28 June. That will be 14 weeks.

Enough. Time to stop this, otherwise the Government will continue to take freedoms away.

People should now be entitled to make their own assessment of risk, and do what they determine best for themselves and families. Those who are risk averse, can stay at home.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Today, Track and Trace seems to be a manual process involving 25,000 staff, many of whom (probably most) are minimum wage, and untrained.

they are trained, several weeks, many with medical backgrounds. they do draft in people for 1st line, call centre level stuff its not complex. the process is expansion of established protocols that were suspended (due to lack of test capacity). why its taken a month to restart when most was already in place is a mystery we'll have to wait for an inquiry to explain.

very good point about people making their own risk assessments, however we have become a nation of children that need to be told basic things and cry about lack of government control if they dont tell us minute details how to live. we apparently want the government to control us, up until its inconvenient then demand they dont. not necessarily same voices, but sometimes they are.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
they are trained, several weeks, many with medical backgrounds. they do draft in people for 1st line, call centre level stuff its not complex. the process is expansion of established protocols that were suspended (due to lack of test capacity). why its taken a month to restart when most was already in place is a mystery we'll have to wait for an inquiry to explain.

I listened to the bloke who runs Track and Trace in Korea. He was talking about an incident in Itaewan, the night club district in Seoul. Forgive me if I don't recall the details, but from a handful of positive tests they identified several thousand who has been in the vicinity of those infected. Rapid SMS messages followed. Those that did not comply with a request to get tested got a visit in person within 24 hours. Enforced quarantine of infected individuals followed. That is slightly disturbing (digital surveillance) but enormously effective.

I am 100% confident that we can't do that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I listened to the bloke who runs Track and Trace in Korea. He was talking about an incident in Itaewan, the night club district in Seoul. Forgive me if I don't recall the details, but from a handful of positive tests they identified several thousand who has been in the vicinity of those infected. Rapid SMS messages followed. Those that did not comply with a request to get tested got a visit in person within 24 hours. Enforced quarantine of infected individuals followed. That is slightly disturbing (digital surveillance) but enormously effective.

no we cant, we rejected the surveillence requirement.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52681464

This was the outbreak referred to in Seoul - managed by tracking credit and debit card transactions, what phone masts people are connected to, surveillance cameras etc. Not sure the British public are ready for that!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That is absolutely shocking, imagine if that happened in a company. Vote to go back to the office or you are sacked.

Sharma yesterday reminded me of the Iranian minister earlier this year, what an earth was he doing in parliament in that state?

Every day you think it can't get any worse, but it does...

I can't get Matt Lucas' Johnson impression out of my mind, and I'll ineptly attempt a slight riff on it:

Go to work in parliament
Spread coronavirus
Don't go to work in parliament

To bastardise it even more to make a point:

Go to work in parliament to pretend you're at one with the people
Spread coronavirus on your side of the benches
Don't go to work in parliament, which will be more effective for the people than the shower you're currently subjecting them to

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I was taking my dog for a walk up the fields yesterday and I noticed this woman in a high vis vest with the words "2 metres" on the back! she was hanging around the field which has a park in it. Do you think this is somekind of self policing neighbourhood watch type or is this government volunteer who has been given permission by the local police to do this?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was taking my dog for a walk up the fields yesterday and I noticed this woman in a high vis vest with the words "2 metres" on the back! she was hanging around the field which has a park in it. Do you think this is somekind of self policing neighbourhood watch type or is this government volunteer who has been given permission by the local police to do this?

More likely a paranoid local busybody, hoping to catch people 1.95m apart and then post on facebook about how everyone is a moron, and killing us all with their ignorance and stupidity.................?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Don't know, but our local fish and chip shop has an employee stood outside the whole time with the same.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It coincides with non essential shops opening back up, because public transport will almost certainly get significantly busier then. I think it’s a good move myself.

I’ve been on the bus a couple of times since this all started and it’s been nearly empty every time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It coincides with non essential shops opening back up, because public transport will almost certainly get significantly busier then. I think it’s a good move myself.

I’ve been on the bus a couple of times since this all started and it’s been nearly empty every time.

If that’s the case why in 10 days?

They don’t know what they are doing

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Because the 15th is when non essential shops open and they’ll be a lot more people commuting to work and going to shops, most public transport everywhere at the moment is empty.

Bus was pretty full today, why not whilst in the shops? Why not as the advice changed last week?

It’s just more scatter gun policy.

I’m not against masks, but people have been travelling on public transport for weeks.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Theyve not really got anything right but facemask thing cant throw at them for me.

15th will see a lot of people commuting again so makes sense to advise it now.

In fact many companies only had that issue to address before ordering the offices to re-open

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here