Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Consistency and convenience. The first allows close comparison with other countries who mostly report this way. The second due to quicker collation of results. Deaths measured elsewhere take longer to drip through.

Ok, bit confusing for us who are counting care home deaths since it becomes difficult to compare with most countries. Would be interesting to see a list of the countries that measure i.e. care home deaths and the ones who arent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
England 482 deaths
Scotland 10 deaths
Wales 41 deaths
Northern Ireland 1 death

UK Total - 534 Massive drop.

Edit: 596 Revised total
Good news that the numbers are falling.

I'm off to the beach to celebrate. Who's with me?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ok, bit confusing for us who are counting care home deaths since it becomes difficult to compare with most countries. Would be interesting to see a list of the countries that measure i.e. care home deaths and the ones who arent.

As I understand it currently, I believe Sweden, Belgium, France do include Care Homes, Italy, Spain, UK don't. Although it is hard to get explicit detail on who is including what in their statistics and it does make comparisons somewhat awkward.

Although the UK has started including a new line on the graphs at Government briefings in the last 3 days. This includes care homes, but is a couple of weeks in arrears due to collection of the data (as [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] points out above).

Regardless of all of this though, the UK numbers do appear to be on a plateau (maybe beyond the peak, but I tend to be overly cautious).

Just hunting out my thong to join [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] if numbers continue downward :thumbsup:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The number dropping is good but don't they always drop at weekends?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It has tended to the last few weeks, and then catch up Tuesday, Wednesday. (Which is why I haven't got my thong on yet ???)

Yup. Seems to be the case in most countries, the numbers decrease over weekends and if they increase it has usually been a warning sign that the increase is bigger than reported.

Pinch of salt is recommended, however the numbers probably show that its at least not getting worse.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
737 last Sunday and 621 Sunday two weeks ago so it’s a clear so it’s a clear downward trend.

I'm not getting that as a trend. The number last week was a hike on the week before ... it's down today vs last Sunday and to the past few days but I think we need to see a few more before we can declare 'trend'.

That said it's down so that's a good start and let's hope for a trend

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Will the figures be lower ? Yes.

Will lower figures look better ? Yes.

Will spinning an alternative reason be believed without question by some ? Yes.

Job done.

There is always a proportion of the population that falls into the category 'some'.

I would imagine that I don't. By virtue of the fact that you are contesting these figures, you also are not in that group. I would not particularly worry about the 'some' as anyone who wishes to find the data will eventually be able to do so.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A pretty depressing article if true - https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/183...ton-hove-seafront-looks-like-today/#gallery10

Can any B&H residents confirm?

I haven't been down to the seafront here in Hastings for weeks, but footage from this webcam earlier shows a similar picture in terms of numbers on the actual seafront today also:

:nono:

While it could be seen as depressing, its also quite uplifting that everyone seems to be doing social distansing reasonably well (maybe except for the bike road). People either on their own or with one other individual.

But sure, not much of a lockdown.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As I understand it currently, I believe Sweden, Belgium, France do include Care Homes, Italy, Spain, UK don't. Although it is hard to get explicit detail on who is including what in their statistics and it does make comparisons somewhat awkward.

Although the UK has started including a new line on the graphs at Government briefings in the last 3 days. This includes care homes, but is a couple of weeks in arrears due to collection of the data (as [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] points out above).

Regardless of all of this though, the UK numbers do appear to be on a plateau (maybe beyond the peak, but I tend to be overly cautious).

Just hunting out my thong to join [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] if numbers continue downward :thumbsup:

As I mentioned above, although the Government have now included a line of 'all fatalities' on the COBR Global Death Comparison chart for the last 3 days, it appears to be the only line on the chart which hasn't been updated for any of those 3 days. I would have thought it would come from the ONS statistics which are 7-14 days behind, but these look even more out of date than that. No idea why :shrug:

New ONS figures due Tuesday, maybe they'll get updated then.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here