Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
do we not have to endure another peak (like singapore) as we surely can't lock down until a vaccine is poroduced?
I expect the measures being taken in Italy, Spain, France and the UK are working, and we'll see the number of infections reduce. Consequently, I'm sure we'll see the lockdown restrictions eased before too long. I don't expect the restrictions will just be completely removed overnight. I imagine very large gatherings will still be banned for a bit longer, and maybe pubs and restaurants will remain closed at first.

If it then starts to look like we're heading for another peak, we might see the current lockdown measures brought back (but again, not permanently), but if that's not necessary we might just have some basic social distancing rules in place for a while.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yeah I think the underlying headline is a bit misleading. Whilst it’s obviously not good news that we are yet to find a reliable antibody test, my understanding is that the order of 17.5m is effectively still in place for when we do find one that works.

The Times headline makes it sound like we’ve ordered 17.5million tests, they’ve all turned up and THEN we’ve found out none of them work. I don’t believe that to be the case. Bit irresponsible from The Times.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah I think the underlying headline is a bit misleading. Whilst it’s obviously not good news that we are yet to find a reliable antibody test, my understanding is that the order of 17.5m is effectively still in place for when we do find one that works.

The Times headline makes it sound like we’ve ordered 17.5million tests, they’ve all turned up and THEN we’ve found out none of them work. I don’t believe that to be the case. Bit irresponsible from The Times.

Yep, I agree. Sorry for the sensationalist link. That journo has form. It was the first (I think) to break the story.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep, I agree. Sorry for the sensationalist link. That journo has form. It was the first (I think) to break the story.

Not your fault guv, you were right to post it. Just useful to clarify incase anyone gets the wrong impression.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Technically the lockdown ends this weekend doesnt it? Wonder when they will announce an extension. Its obvious that it'll be pushed out but some people will no doubt be out and about at the weekend if its not extended/restated.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
From today’s Mail:

F657A5DC-E547-4CF7-9A7C-95B003BC30D3.jpeg.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I expect the measures being taken in Italy, Spain, France and the UK are working, and we'll see the number of infections reduce. Consequently, I'm sure we'll see the lockdown restrictions eased before too long. I don't expect the restrictions will just be completely removed overnight. I imagine very large gatherings will still be banned for a bit longer, and maybe pubs and restaurants will remain closed at first.

If it then starts to look like we're heading for another peak, we might see the current lockdown measures brought back (but again, not permanently), but if that's not necessary we might just have some basic social distancing rules in place for a while.

Shouldnt forget that the summer is rapidly coming and most viruses and all of the known coronaviruses are seasonal... better extend your current lockdown another 2 weeks (or even a month) and then start easing the restrictions. Both to avoid another spike and to avoid another lockdown. As the WHO said you dont really want a cycle of lockdown, let out. lockdown and so on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Technically the lockdown ends this weekend doesnt it? Wonder when they will announce an extension. Its obvious that it'll be pushed out but some people will no doubt be out and about at the weekend if its not extended/restated.

Yeah no way they're going to ease on restrictions on a bank holiday

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Spain's has been extended until 26th of April, which will make it 6 weeks in total. Would be surprised if the UK's is much shorter. Even after that, it won't lifted completely.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They'll be itching to lift the lockdown before VE Day Friday on May 8th.

History will decide if this is wise.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Reporting from certain newspapers during this outbreak has been nothing short of disgraceful if you ask me, they are so hungry for clicks that they are going for even more sensationalist scaremongering bollocks than usual.

Anti-body testing simply has to be extremely reliable and so the government and relevant authorities are absolutely doing the right thing, it’s unfortunate but better than chucking them straight into circulation and then people getting infected and dying, despite being told they had already had it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Also :

It would be terrible if the last casualties of WW2 were victims of victory parties 75 years later :nono:

It's heartbreaking to think the few remaining won't be there, with their blazers and medals on, thinking of all those who aren't there with them 75 years later and The Queen won't be be there to shake their hands and thank them on behalf of the country, herself and her late father who they fought for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here