Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Technically the lockdown ends this weekend doesnt it? Wonder when they will announce an extension. Its obvious that it'll be pushed out but some people will no doubt be out and about at the weekend if its not extended/restated.

It was the evening of Monday 23rd that it was announced so, even if it's not extended, it'll go beyond the w/e.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Reporting from certain newspapers during this outbreak has been nothing short of disgraceful if you ask me, they are so hungry for clicks that they are going for even more sensationalist scaremongering bollocks than usual.

Anti-body testing simply has to be extremely reliable and so the government and relevant authorities are absolutely doing the right thing, it’s unfortunate but better than chucking them straight into circulation and then people getting infected and dying, despite being told they had already had it.

I try to avoid most, so please name them :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How long does everyone predict for lockdown extension?

I think they will announce a further 3 weeks, but possibly dangle a TINY carrot of - IF you can all continue socially distancing as much as possible, we may be able to relax certain measures at the end of that 3 weeks.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Shouldnt forget that the summer is rapidly coming and most viruses and all of the known coronaviruses are seasonal... better extend your current lockdown another 2 weeks (or even a month) and then start easing the restrictions. Both to avoid another spike and to avoid another lockdown. As the WHO said you dont really want a cycle of lockdown, let out. lockdown and so on.

I wouldn’t place too much hope in that, tbh.

The summer may - possibly - slow infection rates a fraction, but compared to measures like social distancing and isolation its impact will be fairly minimal I think.

After all, it’s 29 degrees here in Dubai today, and nobody here is assuming the heat changes a thing.

We can’t so much as go outside the front door, even to the supermarket, without applying for a government permit every single time, so our isolation policies are far more severe than the UK, even with the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I think they will announce a further 3 weeks, but possibly dangle a TINY carrot of - IF you can all continue socially distancing as much as possible, we may be able to relax certain measures at the end of that 3 weeks.

I predict another 3 weeks too. I think it'll end up being longer, but lock-down fatigue is probably better offset by it being 'only' another 3 weeks each time, however many times they actually end up doing it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I think an additional 3 weeks with some easing at the end of that if it goes well though I suspect pubs and the like could close for longer

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wouldn’t place too much hope in that, tbh.

The summer may - possibly - slow infection rates a fraction, but compared to measures like social distancing and isolation its impact will be fairly minimal I think.

After all, it’s 29 degrees here in Dubai today, and nobody here is assuming the heat changes a thing.

We can’t so much as go outside the front door, even to the supermarket, without applying for a government permit every single time, so our isolation policies are far more severe than the UK, even with the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 degrees indeed, and 1 (one) covid patient in UAE ICU atm

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Unconfirmed reports but Sky saying 403 new deaths in England. Under 500 in U.K. total. Let’s hope it continues to go down, RIP.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I predict another 3 weeks too. I think it'll end up being longer, but lock-down fatigue is probably better offset by it being 'only' another 3 weeks each time, however many times they actually end up doing it.

Absolutely. I think there will be “some” level of lockdown/distancing for months, and I think they knew at the start that it would be more than 3 weeks, but chose that number at least partly for psychological reasons - as you say, 3 weeks sounds doable. 6 weeks sounds much harder, and so on.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My partner's Dad passed away yesterday - it hasn't been confirmed that it was Covid, but it is very strongly suspected.

Please, stay at home, take every precaution you can and do not hesitate to call for help if you need it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My partner's Dad passed away yesterday - it hasn't been confirmed that it was Covid, but it is very strongly suspected.

Please, stay at home, take every precaution you can and do not hesitate to call for help if you need it.

Sorry to hear that, Frutos. Take care.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Sorry to hear of your loss. You are right, we can all do our part.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolutely. I think there will be “some” level of lockdown/distancing for months, and I think they knew at the start that it would be more than 3 weeks, but chose that number at least partly for psychological reasons - as you say, 3 weeks sounds doable. 6 weeks sounds much harder, and so on.

The BBC's chief science correspondent just posted something to that effect:

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 15.40.00.png

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Very sorry to hear that. Condolences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Sincere condolences to you and your family, Frutos.

I listen to the figures every day hoping to see a change in 'the trend', but news like this really brings home that each of 'the figures' is a huge loss to their family and friends.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shouldnt forget that the summer is rapidly coming and most viruses and all of the known coronaviruses are seasonal... better extend your current lockdown another 2 weeks (or even a month) and then start easing the restrictions.
Yeah I hope summer makes a difference, but it's not clear if it will be enough.

Both to avoid another spike and to avoid another lockdown. As the WHO said you dont really want a cycle of lockdown, let out. lockdown and so on.
I don't think the WHO know anything about that. That's not a discussion about stopping the virus, that's a discussion about what the public would prefer. Ideally you don't want to go into another lockdown, but then you also don't want the current lockdown to continue. There will be different opinions on which way is best (for the public morale, and the economy) and I'm not sure anyone really knows the answer.

My guess is that when the numbers start falling, you ease the restrictions a little, hope the numbers keep falling, and if they do you ease the restrictions a bit more. At the same time you need to be prepared to reintroduce some of the restrictions if necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here