Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Last night when I heard the news about the pubs, I went to my local. Staff were in tears. A stranger bought me a pint, I bought another one a drink too. It was the wrong thing to do in the first place to go, but my entire way of life and everything I know is going. I genuinely never thought I would have to live to see something like this in my lifetime.

I work in insurance, therefore I'm now in a critical occupation like my maternal grandfather was in WWII. I just............

There's a generational aspect to this too - I really am struggling with some of the stupid ****ing kids in their 20's I have to work with, who are so blase about this. I'm starting to wonder what the best thing I could do now is. My brother, who teaches, put himself forward instantly to carry on as he's the son of an NHS midwife and realises he's doing the right thing there, so I'm now moving toward that sort of train of thought too in regards to the NHS and the country. What's the right thing to do?

My Dad is 79. He was born during the war, he passed his 11+, he avoided national service, but briefly was in the RAF of his own volition, he retired at 60, apart from my Mum passing away his retirement has been comfortable, he met someone else, he goes on holiday all the time, he plays Bridge, he still goes down the cricket, he watches his rugby and football......

'I had so much luck in my life' he says 'but it's run out now'.

For the first time in my life I can't go to cricket with my Dad. Things like that make me cry.

The post-war consensus is over. It's Zimbabwe economics now. Everything has changed. Everything.

I don't know anything anymore.

I feel for you. Lots of what you said is similar to my situation and many others here on NSC (we are preponderantly middle-aged blokes). My parents are 78 and 77. I am very worried about them. I also work in a crucial job and will be looking after kids of key workers in my school for the foreseeable future. It is hard not to think that the world is crashing down. But you have to keep hope. I am now starting to limit my 'news' time as I was sinking rapidly. Make sure you still do something for yourself, for your own good, otherwise this thing will consume you. There are loads of great people here who understand and sympathise. We will get through this together mate.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last night when I heard the news about the pubs, I went to my local. Staff were in tears. A stranger bought me a pint, I bought another one a drink too. It was the wrong thing to do in the first place to go, but my entire way of life and everything I know is going. I genuinely never thought I would have to live to see something like this in my lifetime.

I work in insurance, therefore I'm now in a critical occupation like my maternal grandfather was in WWII. I just............

There's a generational aspect to this too - I really am struggling with some of the stupid ****ing kids in their 20's I have to work with, who are so blase about this. I'm starting to wonder what the best thing I could do now is. My brother, who teaches, put himself forward instantly to carry on as he's the son of an NHS midwife and realises he's doing the right thing there, so I'm now moving toward that sort of train of thought too in regards to the NHS and the country. What's the right thing to do?

My Dad is 79. He was born during the war, he passed his 11+, he avoided national service, but briefly was in the RAF of his own volition, he retired at 60, apart from my Mum passing away his retirement has been comfortable, he met someone else, he goes on holiday all the time, he plays Bridge, he still goes down the cricket, he watches his rugby and football......

'I had so much luck in my life' he says 'but it's run out now'.

For the first time in my life I can't go to cricket with my Dad. Things like that make me cry.

The post-war consensus is over. It's Zimbabwe economics now. Everything has changed. Everything.

I don't know anything anymore.

It is a very tough time, my parents are in their 90s and I cannot visit them at present but we, as parents, need to act responsibly for our children.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I feel for you. Lots of what you said is similar to my situation and many others here on NSC (we are preponderantly middle-aged blokes). My parents are 78 and 77. I am very worried about them. I also work in a crucial job and will be looking after kids of key workers in my school for the foreseeable future. It is hard not to think that the world is crashing down. But you have to keep hope. I am now starting to limit my 'news' time as I was sinking rapidly. Make sure you still do something for yourself, for your own good, otherwise this thing will consume you. There are loads of great people here who understand and sympathise. We will get through this together mate.

Thank-you for your kind words. I know I'm not the only one suffering.

We are all one now. We have to be.

A few weeks ago I'd have never believed I would I'd ever say this, and it was my Dad who mentioned it originally, but there's a chance, just a chance, that the PM's positive, can do, glass half full, enthusiastic persona might be a much needed tonic in all this.

If he wants to be the next Winston Churchill, here's his opportunity.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Turns out I'm a key worker if anyone needs some plumbing done

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have been waiting for an announcement regarding self employed people now that PAYE have been sorted out.
I am a 1 man band and my work has stopped coming in.
Steven Barclay, chief secretary to the treasury has just been asked 5 times what are they going to do, 5 times he dodged the question instead he just repeated about the economy, deferring self assessment tax payments and mortgage holidays.
I have no work, it's not my fault, people like me need help.
I hope he just didn't know and an announcement is made very soon.
They can't leave hundreds of thousands of people like me hanging.
They said they would help everyone affected by this virus.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Turns out I'm a key worker if anyone needs some plumbing done

I’m sure you’ll be busy when people start flushing kitchen paper down their toilets!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have been waiting for an announcement regarding self employed people now that PAYE have been sorted out.
Steven Barclay, chief secretary to the treasury has just been asked 5 times what are they going to do, 5 times he dodged the question instead he just repeated about the economy, deferring self assessment tax payments and mortgage holidays.
I'm with you mate

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How the **** can people go out last night and have a laugh? I was holding back tears.
I'm happy that all the 'last Saturday night booze night for a while' sessions planned for today have had to be cancelled.

On another note, my work which is forcing us to come into the office even though we could WFH, are very proud that they have wangled us key worker status so we don't have to take time away to look after school-less children. They still don't get it.:facepalm:.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On another note, my work which is forcing us to come into the office even though we could WFH, are very proud that they have wangled us key worker status so we don't have to take time away to look after school-less children. They still don't get it.:facepalm:.
If you've got key worker status, then your kids shouldn't be school-less, as the schools are supposed to take such children.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

I am sure you will get through this. Please do not get too hung up about elderly parents. I am one, nearly 80 and we are the lucky generation. Yes we lived through WW2 but as kids it seemed the norm. It took Britain nearly 10 years to fully recover but we did it and most of us have led a good life since. Our time is up at some moment in the future but pandemics allowing you have much more time and you will need to rebuild the nation for you and your children. All us oldies can do is say a big thank you for all your concern but concentrate on helping each other. The good times will return.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you've got key worker status, then your kids shouldn't be school-less, as the schools are supposed to take such children.

I'm not sure if it's a general rule, but some schools I am aware of are only taking kids if BOTH parents are key workers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm happy that all the 'last Saturday night booze night for a while' sessions planned for today have had to be cancelled.

Without naming the company for obvious reasons, what line of work are you in?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm not sure if it's a general rule, but some schools I am aware of are only taking kids if BOTH parents are key workers.

I think the list was longer than schools were expecting so they are having to make choices over who qualifies

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

After days of everyone sounding together apart from a few Labour idiots attempting to point score, then this **** turns up, with all rhetoric of old school politics, shut up you prick and answer a simple question. Hopefully he is not seen again during the crisis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here