Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Several shops closed already and John Lewis / White Stuff closing after Monday

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We are on near enough the exact same number as Italy - 2 weeks behind. Scaremongering aside it’s Very very concerning. 79CF7524-A217-4561-AF82-F26392A10F9E.png

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
53 UK deaths, not good

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Big moment tomorrow.... If we suddenly jump by 130 deaths for the day like Italy did. I may just start to panic slightly

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
Seems likely, looking at the chart.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Starbucks and Pret a Manger closing down temporarily

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
We seem to be matching Italy at the moment, but I’m hoping we’ll plateau soon. Italy has an older population and more multigenerational living and the virus does tend to favour (albeit not exclusively) the elderly with preexisting conditions.

I think we need to go for a France style lockdown, though.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
We seem to be matching Italy at the moment, but I’m hoping we’ll plateau soon. Italy has an older population and more multigenerational living and the virus does tend to favour (albeit not exclusively) the elderly with preexisting conditions.

One notable difference between us and Italy is the location of our respective epicentres. There’s is in Lombardy, where the population is very old, whereas ours is in London where the population is very young. How significant that proves to be, I don’t know, as we are trending very much in line with Italy.

The other concern is the mortality rate in Italy. If the figures are correct and comparable, China had around 3,000 deaths from 80,000 cases - Italy is more like 4,000 from 50,000. Also worrying are concerns that Italy’s lockdown isn’t having much effect in terms of curbing new cases - hopefully that changes in the next few days and the numbers start to fall.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

I'm currently on Greece and a they have just had an interview with Greek doctor in Bergamo who was saying the reason the death toll is so high for the elderly is not because they are more prone to getting the virus or showing symptoms. It is because doctors are having to choose who gets the intensive care beds as the system is beyond capacity. They're favouring the young and letting the elder generation pass away.

Italy has more ICU beds per population than us. My worry is we'll be making those choices soon and our mortality rate will continue to track Italy's.

Worrying, scary times.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm currently on Greece and a they have just had an interview with Greek doctor in Bergamo who was saying the reason the death toll is so high for the elderly is not because they are more prone to getting the virus or showing symptoms. It is because doctors are having to choose who gets the intensive care beds as the system is beyond capacity. They're favouring the young and letting the elder generation pass away.

Italy has more ICU beds per population than us. My worry is we'll be making those choices soon and our mortality rate will continue to track Italy's.

Worrying, scary times.

It has more icu beds in normal circumstances. Pretty hard to compare now I imagine.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Worrying, scary times.

I heard that italy were doing this over a week ago. How scary to have to play god and choose who lives and who dies... unfortunately you have to choose young over old... Shit times...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Plus Italians are tactile, and the nation was unaware that the virus had hit the country for 4 weeks until first detected at the end of January. That was deemed clinically mild, then suspected pneumonia cases throughout the north were not tested for COVID-19. It took until mid February when the first Italian was diagnosed, for the lira to finally drop.

COVID-19 had a 6 week unfettered start in Italy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Plus Italians are tactile, and the nation was unaware that the virus had hit the country for 4 weeks until first detected at the end of January. That was deemed clinically mild, then suspected pneumonia cases throughout the north were not tested for COVID-19. It took until mid February when the first Italian was diagnosed, for the lira to finally drop.

COVID-19 had a 6 week unfettered start in Italy.

Time will clearly tell over the next few weeks, I sincerely hope you are right

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Time will clearly tell over the next few weeks, I sincerely hope you are right

I know this is the calm before the inevitable storm or phoney war, but like you I’m hoping that all the sensible moves being made by individuals and the authorities hugely reduce the numbers who’ll pass away.

But both BBC Breakfast today and Sky News showed packed pubs last night, some full of blokes in their 60’s and 70’s. Beggars belief.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I know this is the calm before the inevitable storm or phoney war, but like you I’m hoping that all the sensible moves being made by individuals and the authorities hugely reduce the numbers who’ll pass away.

But both BBC Breakfast today and Sky News showed packed pubs last night, some full of blokes in their 60’s and 70’s. Beggars belief.

I think many people think they will get the virus but be ok, however my concern is if they then pass it on to someone far more vulnerable.

That being the case I am steering well clear of my parents in their 90s

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yep, there is a massive sense of complacency in this country at the moment.

Nurse friends of mine at Southampton hospital were saying yesterday it’s a bit eerie there at the moment as there are so many empty beds currently in preparation. It was another wake up call that we’re just at the beginning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here