Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really don’t now.

His “yes well, keep going, we’ll have it beat in 12 weeks, follow the advice, all doing fantastically, keep doing what you’re doing” ramblings are only making people complacent.

There’s gonna be a hell of a shock when the lock down arrives. My guess and it is just a guess, is that the preparations are being put into place, supermarket controls, police patrols, extra shifts etc so that when the details are announced the powers and means to enforce it are there. Such as the thousands of morons that are going to jumps straight in the car to panic shop Asda out of stock.
They will be stopped and turned for home.

Then the country can start re-stocking and coming to their senses.
Also I will be grateful for public transport to be cleared of all non essential travellers so us key workers can get to our places of work with as little unnecessary contact as possible.

I would expect this to be the case for London this weekend and the rest of the UK within a fortnight.

My post was in no way an endorsement of Johnson, it was more how badly Trump has performed. Johnson is marginally better, but, it’s a close run thing, at the moment.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
And if the Government don't impose restrictions then that's down to the supermarkets, surely?

Annotation 2020-03-20 163607.png

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry, I was referring to the situation of most who, if they contract the virus will have to self isolate for 14 days. That said, I would still put a large part of the blame on the supermarkets who could have done more earlier to curb 'excessive' shopping.

Everyone, including the supermarkets, were caught out by the "**** you I'm alright" attitude of some of the British public!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And if the Government don't impose restrictions then that's down to the supermarkets, surely?

I don't know how. They can say 'just one of everything' but it'll just mean people going in and out multiple times.

It really is down to 'us' .... but (like you I assume) I have zero confidence that will happen. Leopard's don't change their spots and I suspect this is much more than a small minority

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Everyone, including the supermarkets, were caught out by the "**** you I'm alright" attitude of some of the British public!

That's your view. Personally I think the supermarkets would have spotted trends sometime ago. They have massive amounts of data on what people are buying but they are commercial enterprises so selling insofar as they are concerned is good for business. However, it has become a bit of a PR disaster so now they are introducing these phoney schemes to sell to certain groups at certain times. Pointless unless they enforce them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know how. They can say 'just one of everything' but it'll just mean people going in and out multiple times.

It really is down to 'us' .... but (like you I assume) I have zero confidence that will happen. Leopard's don't change their spots and I suspect this is much more than a small minority

I agree about the zero confidence. A bit of a chicken and egg situation. Supermarkets didn't stop people buying massive quantites, ie trolley loads of toilet roll, so the shelves look virtually empty so others see that and then buy more to ensure they have enough. Once supermarkets get the supply chain working effectively then the shelves will be full and most people will revert to just the normal levels(hopefully).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Amazes me with what's going on, in such an unprecedented time that some on here still feel the need to slip the boot in.

Perhaps it's just a matter that it's at the moments of the most critical importance comes the need for the most scrutiny? Boris certainly couldn't have anticipated this total sh*t show and (perhaps for the only time in his life?) he could be unlucky. But remember - he would have chewed his rivals to death to get this job, and it comes with direct access to the nuclear button. (Wasn't this one of the reasons that Corbyn was vilified by the press?) It's not a job for shrinking violets. And of course you can hope someone succeeds (which we all must do) while pointing out that they are not currently playing out of their skin.

In approx. 5 minutes he's got another chance. Surely he'll shut down London pubs at the very least...…………...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well shopping day today ( I've refused to buy any extras because it's a c*n*ish thing to do ) and here's Sainsburys West Hove ( one isle but most were the same ) :

View attachment 121274

So first and foremost - well done those "let's buy a bit more" w@nkers - there's a few on here, in particular one who's defended his mass purchases *** cough *** including breakfast. Secondly, I assume those said w@nkers will be happy that I've struggled to buy food for my elderly ( 76 & 78 year old ) and frail and sick parents as well. Also went to Aldi where a number of people were arguing with shop assistants about the number ( at least six in their trolleys ) of each item they should be allowed to buy. Really, I despair of human kind.

Equally, it shows up Matt Hancock to be a complete and utter liar.

Good news is that I've found a Chinese Supermarket that has loads of food. PM me if you want the details ( certain posters will be ignored ! ).

I’d obviously seen the reports of shortages at supermarkets but nothing prepared me for my first visit to Gatwick Tesco’s today. It has been two weeks since the wife and I had been shopping, as in so called ‘high risk’ groups, we’ve both been following advice to minimise contact with others as much as possible.

We went in the hour that Tesco’s have advertised as specially for essential workers and the elderly. It was absolutely packed but most of the shelves were empty. Fortunately we managed to get some milk, veg and some salad. No tins of anything, no bread, no flour, rice or any other dried goods. We gave in and came home. I’m just hoping that as people find their store cupboards full or run out of money the shelves will start to fill again.

Where are people storing all the bread, milk and other stuff - I spoke to a friend who works at Tesco’s and they said they are still getting just as many deliveries in as normal, in some categories more than normal. I don’t understand it - surely freezer space is limited as are cupboards!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That's your view. Personally I think the supermarkets would have spotted trends sometime ago. They have massive amounts of data on what people are buying but they are commercial enterprises so selling insofar as they are concerned is good for business. However, it has become a bit of a PR disaster so now they are introducing these phoney schemes to sell to certain groups at certain times. Pointless unless they enforce them.

That's the point though, with the exception of Paracetamol and then slightly later pasta, there were no trends, just a plague of ****ing locusts.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And if you had to self isolate you would still need to go food shopping regularly and spread the virus further!!!

A little extra is only about another weeks worth as I suspect most people probably already have a weeks worth in the cupboards anyway. Like I said, the problem is those that have stocked up for months.

That's based on one person too. As a family of four we could potentially be cut off for what, six weeks?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

to put the responsibility onto supermarkets primarily is a hiding to nothing.

In Florida during a hurricane threat there is usually a visible but relatively low profile police presence outside most supermakets (people tend to behave decently as this is a regular occurence and they tend to know the score anyway) but it does calm things down a bit.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree about the zero confidence. A bit of a chicken and egg situation. Supermarkets didn't stop people buying massive quantites, ie trolley loads of toilet roll, so the shelves look virtually empty so others see that and then buy more to ensure they have enough. Once supermarkets get the supply chain working effectively then the shelves will be full and most people will revert to just the normal levels(hopefully).

I'm afraid I don't share your confidence .... can't see them being able to get anything on shelves before it instantly disappears.

I don't have any answers beyond some sort of full on rationing, at least until the public have figured out that normal supplies can be maintained

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cafes, pubs, bars, night clubs, gyms, leisure centres and restaurants to close from tonight until further notice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
more fool you for not starting to buy a little extra each time you went before! Yes, people buying 6 of everything are the problem but if, over the course of the last 3 or 4 weeks you bought a couple of tins extra each time you went then you wouldn't be in this situation now. There are two extremes in this crisis, those that have stocked up as if preparing for a nuclear winter and those that just buried their head in the sand!!!
So those who haven't been panic buying are the problem.

Well I guess I need to apologise.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Unprecedented economic intervention:

Govt will step in and help to pay peoples wages.

Any employers, small or large will be eligible... for a GRANT to cover the wages of people who are not able to work. 80% of their salary, up to £2500 a month.

No limit to the size of the scheme, back-dated to 1st March.

Extraordinary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here