Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Come on Vegster, put aside any dislike of Boris Johnson and be sensible. Do you really think that or are you joking?
Regardless of ones politics, it must be a hell of a strain on a Prime Minister of any political persuasion at times like this.
Would you like his job? I wouldn't.

Of course. But drop the bumbling act - it is an act. What we need is clear direction and leadership. We need to know those in charge know what they are doing. Think clearly and speak clearly. Set out the strategy and the reasons behind it. There is no more responsible job. We can expect more. Please.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
[tweet]1240806302483431430[/tweet]

:wink:

Gotta love the place. Great place, great people.

When they had the second oil tanker disaster 1000’s of locals turned up on the beaches with shovels, plastic bags, buckets and anything else that came to hand to collect the washed up oil. They did this day after day. My uncle was one of them, not a young guy either. When I asked him why his response, which sums up galicians for me was “why the **** wouldn’t you”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Friend of mine who I’ve known for a long time works at a GP surgery and they have been warned of full mobilisation/lockdown next week, didn’t get exact details but sounds similar to how it is in France. I guess it is the expected next step, I don’t think it would be a bad thing either would stop all these idiotic people flouting the advice and stop people clearing the shops by 10am

what do they do at the GP surgery? Who warned them? Why didnt they give exact details? From that you are guessing that's the next step?

I am very concerned about the effect speculation is having on the behaviour of the population. There seem to be far too few dissenting voices on this, that's another concern too.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
what do they do at the GP surgery? Who warned them? Why didnt they give exact details? From that you are guessing that's the next step?

I am sorry but these sorts of post all over the internet are really concerning, not that the rumours are true but the effect speculation is having on the behaviour of the population. There seem to be far too few dissenting voices on this, that's another concern too.

If people can't see from the news the direction we are heading - No 10 (I suppose that is Dominic Cummins) was briefing reporters a London lockdown was coming. I am not sure internet rumours are the issue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Give it a rest you effing bore. We get it. You don't like Boris Johnson.
Maybe re read my post, why is Hancock covering lots of stuff that is not in his brief?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If people can't see from the news the direction we are heading - No 10 (I suppose that is Dominic Cummins) was briefing reporters a London lockdown was coming. I am not sure internet rumours are the issue.

thats not the discussion - its the my mate said posts all over the internet that are massively fanning this and making government even more difficult. Just like not going out and buying loads and loads of bog roll, and social distancing, self restraint online should be part of personal responsibility during this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe re read my post, why is Hancock covering lots of stuff that is not in his brief?

I've not seen any of the stuff you allude to, but my guess would be that interviewers are not going to waste an opportunity at having a government minister in front of them and will ask about anything and everything related to the situation.

And once the questions come, he can't really sit there and say "that's not my job - ask Rishi".

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
thats not the discussion - its the my mate said posts all over the internet that are massively fanning this and making government even more difficult. Just like not going out and buying loads and loads of bog roll, and social distancing, self restraint online should be part of personal responsibility during this.

Lots of people seem to have mates or family members who are privy to some pretty exclusive stuff. Quite why all these people need “tipping off” is beyond me. Funny how it never seems to happen though.

I must admit I’m surprised Seagullwedgee hasn’t been on with some exclusives.

Generally if you assume everyone on the internet is talking bolllocks you won’t go far wrong.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
To be fair, I don’t like Johnson, but I think he’s doing alright.

Compared to Trump.

Same here - I just wish he would cut out his obsession with buzz phrases. If he says Squash The Sombrero once more...

I think the man is a dangerous buffoon but he seems to be doing what needs to be done - or at least said. I just wish he would lose his Churchill obsession and tone down the rhetoric.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be fair, I don’t like Johnson, but I think he’s doing alright.

Compared to Trump.

I really don’t now.

His “yes well, keep going, we’ll have it beat in 12 weeks, follow the advice, all doing fantastically, keep doing what you’re doing” ramblings are only making people complacent.

There’s gonna be a hell of a shock when the lock down arrives. My guess and it is just a guess, is that the preparations are being put into place, supermarket controls, police patrols, extra shifts etc so that when the details are announced the powers and means to enforce it are there. Such as the thousands of morons that are going to jumps straight in the car to panic shop Asda out of stock.
They will be stopped and turned for home.

Then the country can start re-stocking and coming to their senses.
Also I will be grateful for public transport to be cleared of all non essential travellers so us key workers can get to our places of work with as little unnecessary contact as possible.

I would expect this to be the case for London this weekend and the rest of the UK within a fortnight.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I really don’t now.

His “yes well, keep going, we’ll have it beat in 12 weeks, follow the advice, all doing fantastically, keep doing what you’re doing” ramblings are only making people complacent.

There’s gonna be a hell of a shock when the lock down arrives. My guess and it is just a guess, is that the preparations are being put into place, supermarket controls, police patrols, extra shifts etc so that when the details are announced the powers and means to enforce it are there. Such as the thousands of morons that are going to jumps straight in the car to panic shop Asda out of stock.
They will be stopped and turned for home.

Then the country can start re-stocking and coming to their senses.
Also I will be grateful for public transport to be cleared of all non essential travellers so us key workers can get to our places of work with as little unnecessary contact as possible.

I would expect this to be the case for London this weekend and the rest of the UK within a fortnight.
The bus my misses gets to the hospital every day has just been made a Saturday and Sunday service only! Wtf

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Come on Vegster, put aside any dislike of Boris Johnson and be sensible. Do you really think that or are you joking?
Regardless of ones politics, it must be a hell of a strain on a Prime Minister of any political persuasion at times like this.
Would you like his job? I wouldn't.

Amazes me with what's going on, in such an unprecedented time that some on here still feel the need to slip the boot in.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The bus my misses gets to the hospital every day has just been made a Saturday and Sunday service only! Wtf

That is extraordinary. How far are you from her work? So far the 700 is running as normal, though I expect some changes. I should think it’ll keep doing .

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018

The buses are taking a lot less passengers and if they don't want to make staff cuts, they'll unfortunately have to reduce the services a bit. They'll need to figure out a way to get the balance right between transporting key workers and not making redundancies.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The buses are taking a lot less passengers and if they don't want to make staff cuts, they'll unfortunately have to reduce the services a bit. They'll need to figure out a way to get the balance right between transporting key workers and not making redundancies.

True of course but you’d think a service that goes to the hospital would keep running in the week, even on a reduced service.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Same here - I just wish he would cut out his obsession with buzz phrases. If he says Squash The Sombrero once more...

I think the man is a dangerous buffoon but he seems to be doing what needs to be done - or at least said. I just wish he would lose his Churchill obsession and tone down the rhetoric.

Was dreading him becoming PM, but I think he's doing a decent job here in pretty much impossible circumstances - there is so much conflicting data around he's going to get slaughtered whatever he does for now, only hindsight will tell us whether he's right or wrong. Sunak has been impressive too (if way to smug for my liking, but that's personal). If you listen to what he says, it's not actually much at all - he's very largely, and rightly, deferring to the experts (or who we hope are the experts) on this. The stress he must be under at the moment is unimaginable - so if he's even more bumbling buffoon persona than normal I'm not going to flame him for it.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
True of course but you’d think a service that goes to the hospital would keep running in the week, even on a reduced service.

In terms of Brighton buses, my understanding is that they are moving to Saturday service as of Monday - so still keeping the buses going throughout the week but on a reduced timetable.

But yes, if they're not running buses to the hospital throughout the week, that would be ridiculous!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here